Winemaking (rec.crafts.winemaking) Discussion of the process, recipes, tips, techniques and general exchange of lore on the process, methods and history of wine making. Includes traditional grape wines, sparkling wines & champagnes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help


"jmreiter" > wrote in message news:...
> There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
> latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
> situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local
> 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've
> never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also
> understand that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so
> you will also have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
> Joanne
>
> "Mike" > wrote in message ...
>>
>> "Andie Z" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made
>>> another 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During and
>>> after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We still
>>> haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary, or
>>> anything else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off
>>> stuff. My 90 year old mother is the wine master and she has it on her
>>> finger nails.
>>>
>>> Help!
>>>
>>> Andie Z
>>>

>>
>> There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I can't
>> remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then so stay
>> tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>
>



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help


"jmreiter" > wrote in message
...
>
> "jmreiter" > wrote in message news:...
>> There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
>> latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
>> situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local
>> 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've
>> never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also
>> understand that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so
>> you will also have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
>> Joanne
>>
>> "Mike" > wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> "Andie Z" > wrote in message
>>> ...
>>>> We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made
>>>> another 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During
>>>> and after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We
>>>> still haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary,
>>>> or anything else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off
>>>> stuff. My 90 year old mother is the wine master and she has it on her
>>>> finger nails.
>>>>
>>>> Help!
>>>>
>>>> Andie Z
>>>>
>>>
>>> There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I
>>> can't remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then
>>> so stay tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>>
>>

>
>


I think the solution was to use vegetable or olive oil. From memory, the goo
is soluble in the oil. The combination is then able to be cleaned off with
ordinary dish detergent... or that's what my pickled memory is telling me.

Mike


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help

On Mar 11, 12:10*am, "Mike" > wrote:
> "jmreiter" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > "jmreiter" > wrote in message news:...
> >> There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
> >> latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
> >> situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local
> >> 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've
> >> never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also
> >> understand that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so
> >> you will also have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
> >> Joanne

>
> >> "Mike" > wrote in ....

>
> >>> "Andie Z" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >>>> We have been making elderberry wine for years. *This year we made
> >>>> another 12 gallons. *The big problem we have is cleaning up. *During
> >>>> and after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. *We
> >>>> still haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary,
> >>>> or anything else. * Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off
> >>>> stuff. *My 90 year old mother is the wine master and she has it on her
> >>>> finger nails.

>
> >>>> Help!

>
> >>>> Andie Z

>
> >>> There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I
> >>> can't remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then
> >>> so stay tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.

>
> >>> Mike

>
> I think the solution was to use vegetable or olive oil. From memory, the goo
> is soluble in the oil. The combination is then able to be cleaned off with
> ordinary dish detergent... or that's what my pickled memory is telling me..
>
> Mike- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


I've made elderberry wine for years also. It seems that when I boil
the berries, I get more goo but get very little with raw berries. I
don't bother boiling anymore.

Paul
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 151
Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help

Pavel314 wrote:

> On Mar 11, 12:10*am, "Mike" > wrote:
>> "jmreiter" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > "jmreiter" > wrote in message news:...
>> >> There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the
>> >> "white, latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It
>> >> might help your situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it
>> >> at your local 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local
>> >> grocery store. I've never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that
>> >> I've experience. But also understand that the Goo-Gone also has
>> >> petroleum-based products in it, so you will also have to use a plain
>> >> detergent afterwards. Yuk. Joanne

>>
>> >> "Mike" > wrote in
>> >> ...

>>
>> >>> "Andie Z" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >>>> We have been making elderberry wine for years. *This year we made
>> >>>> another 12 gallons. *The big problem we have is cleaning up. *During
>> >>>> and after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. *We
>> >>>> still haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our
>> >>>> primary, or anything else. * Does anyone have a sure fire way of
>> >>>> getting it off stuff. *My 90 year old mother is the wine master and
>> >>>> she has it on her finger nails.

>>
>> >>>> Help!

>>
>> >>>> Andie Z

>>
>> >>> There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I
>> >>> can't remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and
>> >>> then so stay tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.

>>
>> >>> Mike

>>
>> I think the solution was to use vegetable or olive oil. From memory, the
>> goo is soluble in the oil. The combination is then able to be cleaned off
>> with ordinary dish detergent... or that's what my pickled memory is
>> telling me.
>>
>> Mike- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
> I've made elderberry wine for years also. It seems that when I boil
> the berries, I get more goo but get very little with raw berries. I
> don't bother boiling anymore.
>
> Paul


There is an article in the April-May 2009 issue of "Winemaker" magazine
which discusses Elderberry wine and the way to remove it

"... it is easily cut with vetgetable oil and cleanly wiped from the
primary. The oil is then washed away with a liquid soap containing a
degreaser. Rinse well and tghen sanitize with sulfite solution."

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help: Removing Elderberry Residue [email protected] Winemaking 0 18-09-2016 06:43 PM
Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help Andie Z[_2_] Winemaking 7 09-03-2009 11:51 PM
residue at cork [email protected] Wine 9 29-04-2008 09:05 PM
what is this white residue/dust in the tea liquor? SN Tea 9 24-10-2007 07:06 PM
smoke residue cleanup kaskiles Barbecue 2 25-06-2004 11:43 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"