Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help

"jmreiter" wrote in message news:...
There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local
'big-box' home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've
never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also
understand that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so
you will also have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
Joanne

"Mike" wrote in message ...

"Andie Z" wrote in message
We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made
another 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During and
after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We still
haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary, or
anything else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off
stuff. My 90 year old mother is the wine master and she has it on her
finger nails.

Help!

Andie Z

There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I can't
remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then so stay
tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.

Mike

Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Mike" wrote in message ...

"Andie Z" wrote in message
We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made
another 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During
and after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We
still haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary,
or anything else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off
stuff. My 90 year old mother is the wine master and she has it on her
finger nails.

Help!

Andie Z

There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I
can't remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then
so stay tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.

Mike

I think the solution was to use vegetable or olive oil. From memory, the goo
is soluble in the oil. The combination is then able to be cleaned off with
ordinary dish detergent... or that's what my pickled memory is telling me.

Mike

Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 11, 12:10*am, "Mike" wrote:
"jmreiter" wrote in message

"jmreiter" wrote in message news:...
There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local
'big-box' home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've
never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also
understand that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so
you will also have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
Joanne

"Mike" wrote in ....

"Andie Z" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Mike- Hide quoted text -

I've made elderberry wine for years also. It seems that when I boil
the berries, I get more goo but get very little with raw berries. I
don't bother boiling anymore.

Paul
Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Pavel314 wrote:

On Mar 11, 12:10*am, "Mike" wrote:
"jmreiter" wrote in message

"jmreiter" wrote in message news:...
There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the
"white, latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It
might help your situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it
at your local 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local
grocery store. I've never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that
I've experience. But also understand that the Goo-Gone also has
petroleum-based products in it, so you will also have to use a plain
detergent afterwards. Yuk. Joanne

"Mike" wrote in

"Andie Z" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

There is an article in the April-May 2009 issue of "Winemaker" magazine
which discusses Elderberry wine and the way to remove it

"... it is easily cut with vetgetable oil and cleanly wiped from the
primary. The oil is then washed away with a liquid soap containing a
degreaser. Rinse well and tghen sanitize with sulfite solution."

Help: Removing Elderberry Residue [email protected] Winemaking 0 18-09-2016 06:43 PM
Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help Andie Z[_2_] Winemaking 7 10-03-2009 12:51 AM
residue at cork [email protected] Wine 9 29-04-2008 09:05 PM
what is this white residue/dust in the tea liquor? SN Tea 9 24-10-2007 07:06 PM
smoke residue cleanup kaskiles Barbecue 2 25-06-2004 11:43 AM