Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Wine Racking Question

If you were to make wine from juice what would be the racking regime?
If you were to make wine from grapes what would be the racking regime?
Thank you in advence.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Thank you for the information can you now please tell me on average
how much juice should I expect to obtain from 100 pounds of grapes?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:35:31 +0100, Luc Volders >
wrote:

>Winemaking is an art not science.
>
>So anytime you think there are substantial lees
>you rack.
>That can be in a few weeks or within months.
>
>Do not let numbers or dates dictate your winemaking
>go by feelings.
>
>Luc
>
>Jim wrote:
>
>> If you were to make wine from juice what would be the racking regime?
>> If you were to make wine from grapes what would be the racking regime?
>> Thank you in advence.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jim wrote:

> If you were to make wine from juice what would be the racking regime?
> If you were to make wine from grapes what would be the racking regime?
> Thank you in advence.

Generally, wine made from crushed grapes is going to require more attention
to racking as you need to remove the "gross" lees which contain pulp debris
which can cause stinky wine. Fine or clean lees can actually improve wines.
IMHO, some get carried away with racking and rack every time they see the
slightest amount of lees.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 20, 10:20*am, Jim > wrote:
> Thank you for the information can you now please tell me on average
> how much juice should I expect to obtain from 100 pounds of grapes?
>
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:35:31 +0100, Luc Volders >

100#'s of grapes should get you close to 6 gallons of juice.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

tepe wrote:

> On Feb 20, 10:20Â*am, Jim > wrote:
>> Thank you for the information can you now please tell me on average
>> how much juice should I expect to obtain from 100 pounds of grapes?
>>
>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:35:31 +0100, Luc Volders >
>> wrote:
>>

> 100#'s of grapes should get you close to 6 gallons of juice.

I typically get 8 gallons of wine from 100 pounds of red grapes
and about 6 to 7 gallons of juice for whites.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] View Post

wrote:

100#'s of grapes should get you close to 6 gallons of juice.

I typically get 8 gallons of wine from 100 pounds of red grapes
and about 6 to 7 gallons of juice for whites.
How you make wines? You do it with traditional method or use any new industrial method?
Randy Cohiba

First timer... question on racking Chris Mares Winemaking 4 22-05-2006 05:23 PM
Racking Question [email protected] Winemaking 5 08-01-2006 07:46 AM
Racking question mdginzo Winemaking 14 22-12-2005 09:35 PM
question on pumping during racking Darin Young Winemaking 15 12-02-2005 02:31 AM
Newbie racking question. Vicki Baylus Winemaking 3 31-03-2004 04:17 AM