Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help

We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made another 12
gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During and after primary
fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We still haven't discovered
a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary, or anything else. Does
anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off stuff. My 90 year old mother
is the wine master and she has it on her finger nails.

Help!

Andie Z

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Andie Z wrote:
> We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made
> another 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During
> and after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We
> still haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our
> primary, or anything else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of
> getting it off stuff. My 90 year old mother is the wine master and
> she has it on her finger nails.

What are you making it with? I've made elderberry for years too and not had
that problem. Mind you I never make more than a couple of gallons at one
time so perhaps I just haven't noticed the quantity. Have you tried an
abrasive cleaner like Ajax. For your hands you can buy hand cleaners with
abrasive granules in. I find soaking in a strong hot bleach solution can
help really stubborn congealed lumps, that or washing soda.

--
Malc

Rusted and ropy.
Dog-eared old copy.
Vintage and classic,
or just plain Jurassic:
all words to describe me.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

We have used wild berries and cultivated berries. We are in Upstate New
York. We tried everything. No stems, no unripe berries, fermenting cold in
primary, boiling them first, and still get goo. More so some years. What
is the goo? Abrasives for cleaning is not satisfactory. "Goof Off" and
lighter fluid, both work. They are tough to use in a carboy. It seems that
someone must know what it is an dwhat it's soluble in.

"malc" > wrote in message
om...
> Andie Z wrote:
>> We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made
>> another 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During
>> and after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We
>> still haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our
>> primary, or anything else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of
>> getting it off stuff. My 90 year old mother is the wine master and
>> she has it on her finger nails.

> What are you making it with? I've made elderberry for years too and not
> had that problem. Mind you I never make more than a couple of gallons at
> one time so perhaps I just haven't noticed the quantity. Have you tried an
> abrasive cleaner like Ajax. For your hands you can buy hand cleaners with
> abrasive granules in. I find soaking in a strong hot bleach solution can
> help really stubborn congealed lumps, that or washing soda.
>
> --
> Malc
>
> Rusted and ropy.
> Dog-eared old copy.
> Vintage and classic,
> or just plain Jurassic:
> all words to describe me.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> We have been making elderberry wine for years.
> During and after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo.

I've not made elderberry wine myself, but I've heard of the
"elderberry goo" problem. From what I understand, you can reduce/
eliminate the problem by only using ripe berries. For cleanup, use
vegetable oil, then clean up the oil with a grease cutting detergent.

Erroll
http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Ditto what Erroll said. Work over the primary with vegetable oil, then
switch to a detergent that can cut through the oil.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, "Andie Z" > wrote:
>We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made another 12
>gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During and after primary
>fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We still haven't discovered
>a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary, or anything else. Does
>anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off stuff. My 90 year old mother
>is the wine master and she has it on her finger nails.

Washing soda is an excellent general-purpose cleaner. Mix it at the rate of 1
cup powder to 1 gallon warm water to start with, and see if that does the job.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Andie Z" > wrote in message
> We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made another
> 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During and after
> primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We still haven't
> discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary, or anything
> else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off stuff. My 90
> year old mother is the wine master and she has it on her finger nails.
>
> Help!
>
> Andie Z

There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I can't
remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then so stay
tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local 'big-box'
home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've never made
elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also understand
that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so you will also
have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
Joanne

"Mike" > wrote in message ...

> "Andie Z" > wrote in message
>> We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made another
>> 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During and after
>> primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We still haven't
>> discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary, or anything
>> else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off stuff. My 90
>> year old mother is the wine master and she has it on her finger nails.
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> Andie Z
>>

> There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I can't
> remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then so stay
> tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.
>
> Mike

Help: Removing Elderberry Residue [email protected] Winemaking 0 18-09-2016 06:43 PM
Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help jmreiter Winemaking 3 05-04-2009 07:53 PM
residue at cork [email protected] Wine 9 29-04-2008 09:05 PM
what is this white residue/dust in the tea liquor? SN Tea 9 24-10-2007 07:06 PM
smoke residue cleanup kaskiles Barbecue 2 25-06-2004 11:43 AM