Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JG JG is offline

Default Slowing primary fermentation

Hey gang,
I have a chardonnay that refuses to finish primary fermentation. The
first signs of primary ferm. started about 6.5 weeks ago. I have 3
vessels and two are at 1 Brix and one is at 1.5 brix. I pitched EC-1118
at 2 brix 3.5 weeks ago and warmed it and it seems to have done some
good but I expected it to be done by now. Last night, I put in a very
small amount of superfood thinking the yeast were nutrient starved at
the end of the fermentation. Here are my questions:

1. I see bubbles coming to the top but there is no foam to speak of.
Is it possible to complete MLF and have an off dry wine? I suppose it
is since they are independent processes but I am wondering if I am
seeing MLF bubbles and not Primary Ferm bubbles.

2. I've read about stuck fermentations at <= 1 Brix and am wondering if
what I have done will be enough to mercifully finish this fermentation soon.

The good news is there is still bubble activity but I am worried it is
MLF since it is taking so long to finish. There are no off odors or
colors and I've got the vessels topped up. The wine tastes fine and is
a bit fizzy so I think it can be salvaged but I'd feel better if it
finished soon.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

JG wrote:

> Hey gang,
> I have a chardonnay that refuses to finish primary fermentation. The
> first signs of primary ferm. started about 6.5 weeks ago. I have 3
> vessels and two are at 1 Brix and one is at 1.5 brix. I pitched EC-1118
> at 2 brix 3.5 weeks ago and warmed it and it seems to have done some
> good but I expected it to be done by now. Last night, I put in a very
> small amount of superfood thinking the yeast were nutrient starved at
> the end of the fermentation. Here are my questions:
>
> 1. I see bubbles coming to the top but there is no foam to speak of.
> Is it possible to complete MLF and have an off dry wine? I suppose it
> is since they are independent processes but I am wondering if I am
> seeing MLF bubbles and not Primary Ferm bubbles.
>
> 2. I've read about stuck fermentations at <= 1 Brix and am wondering if
> what I have done will be enough to mercifully finish this fermentation
> soon.
>
> The good news is there is still bubble activity but I am worried it is
> MLF since it is taking so long to finish. There are no off odors or
> colors and I've got the vessels topped up. The wine tastes fine and is
> a bit fizzy so I think it can be salvaged but I'd feel better if it
> finished soon.
>
> Any advice is appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Joe

Joe, IMHO, measuring brix post start of fermentation is useless and gives
misleading information. After fermentation commences, use your hydrometer
and the SG to monitor progress of your ferment. What is the SG of your
wine now.

Without knowing more about your wine, my guess is that it is undergoing ML.
--
To reply via email, remove the obvious
Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 25, 9:50 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> wrote:
> JG wrote:
> > Hey gang,
> > I have a chardonnay that refuses to finish primary fermentation. The
> > first signs of primary ferm. started about 6.5 weeks ago. I have 3
> > vessels and two are at 1 Brix and one is at 1.5 brix. I pitched EC-1118
> > at 2 brix 3.5 weeks ago and warmed it and it seems to have done some
> > good but I expected it to be done by now. Last night, I put in a very
> > small amount of superfood thinking the yeast were nutrient starved at
> > the end of the fermentation. Here are my questions:

> > 1. I see bubbles coming to the top but there is no foam to speak of.
> > Is it possible to complete MLF and have an off dry wine? I suppose it
> > is since they are independent processes but I am wondering if I am
> > seeing MLF bubbles and not Primary Ferm bubbles.

> > 2. I've read about stuck fermentations at <= 1 Brix and am wondering if
> > what I have done will be enough to mercifully finish this fermentation
> > soon.

> > The good news is there is still bubble activity but I am worried it is
> > MLF since it is taking so long to finish. There are no off odors or
> > colors and I've got the vessels topped up. The wine tastes fine and is
> > a bit fizzy so I think it can be salvaged but I'd feel better if it
> > finished soon.

> > Any advice is appreciated!

> > Thanks!
> > Joe

> Joe, IMHO, measuring brix post start of fermentation is useless and gives
> misleading information. After fermentation commences, use your hydrometer
> and the SG to monitor progress of your ferment. What is the SG of your
> wine now.
>
> Without knowing more about your wine, my guess is that it is undergoing ML.
> --
> To reply via email, remove the obvious
> Paul

Thanks Paul. I did use a hydrometer rather than a refractometer to
measure, just didn't record the SG. So a little converter tells me
that my SG is somewhere around 1.004 and 1.006. The wine definitely
has a sweet taste.

Thanks!

JG
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

JG wrote:

> On Nov 25, 9:50 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> > wrote:
>> JG wrote:
>> > Hey gang,
>> > I have a chardonnay that refuses to finish primary fermentation. The
>> > first signs of primary ferm. started about 6.5 weeks ago. I have 3
>> > vessels and two are at 1 Brix and one is at 1.5 brix. I pitched
>> > EC-1118 at 2 brix 3.5 weeks ago and warmed it and it seems to have done
>> > some
>> > good but I expected it to be done by now. Last night, I put in a very
>> > small amount of superfood thinking the yeast were nutrient starved at
>> > the end of the fermentation. Here are my questions:

>> > 1. I see bubbles coming to the top but there is no foam to speak of.
>> > Is it possible to complete MLF and have an off dry wine? I suppose it
>> > is since they are independent processes but I am wondering if I am
>> > seeing MLF bubbles and not Primary Ferm bubbles.

>> > 2. I've read about stuck fermentations at <= 1 Brix and am wondering
>> > if what I have done will be enough to mercifully finish this
>> > fermentation soon.

>> > The good news is there is still bubble activity but I am worried it is
>> > MLF since it is taking so long to finish. There are no off odors or
>> > colors and I've got the vessels topped up. The wine tastes fine and is
>> > a bit fizzy so I think it can be salvaged but I'd feel better if it
>> > finished soon.

>> > Any advice is appreciated!

>> > Thanks!
>> > Joe

>> Joe, IMHO, measuring brix post start of fermentation is useless and gives
>> misleading information. After fermentation commences, use your
>> hydrometer
>> and the SG to monitor progress of your ferment. What is the SG of your
>> wine now.
>>
>> Without knowing more about your wine, my guess is that it is undergoing
>> ML. --
>> To reply via email, remove the obvious
>> Paul

> Thanks Paul. I did use a hydrometer rather than a refractometer to
> measure, just didn't record the SG. So a little converter tells me
> that my SG is somewhere around 1.004 and 1.006. The wine definitely
> has a sweet taste.
>
> Thanks!
>
> JG

Some wines are just like that and can't really be explained.
I have 6 gallons of Vidal Blanc that was started in September along with my
other whites and it is just now finishing fermentation. The rest have long
since finished. What is the temperature where it is located? I have a
basement and in the fall when the temperature drops down in the 60's the
fermentations take longer to finish.

--
To reply via email, remove the obvious
Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 25, 10:36 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> wrote:
> JG wrote:
> > On Nov 25, 9:50 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> > > wrote:

> >> Joe, IMHO, measuring brix post start of fermentation is useless and gives
> >> misleading information. After fermentation commences, use your
> >> hydrometer
> >> and the SG to monitor progress of your ferment. What is the SG of your
> >> wine now.

> >> Without knowing more about your wine, my guess is that it is undergoing
> >> ML. --
> >> To reply via email, remove the obvious
> >> Paul

> > Thanks Paul. I did use a hydrometer rather than a refractometer to
> > measure, just didn't record the SG. So a little converter tells me
> > that my SG is somewhere around 1.004 and 1.006. The wine definitely
> > has a sweet taste.

> > Thanks!

> > JG

> Some wines are just like that and can't really be explained.
> I have 6 gallons of Vidal Blanc that was started in September along with my
> other whites and it is just now finishing fermentation. The rest have long
> since finished. What is the temperature where it is located? I have a
> basement and in the fall when the temperature drops down in the 60's the
> fermentations take longer to finish.
>
> --
> To reply via email, remove the obvious
> Paul

Hi Paul,
Yes, the wine is in a rather cool garage (definitely low 60's) and as
such I've been trying to warm it up to help things along. I'll keep
trying to get the temp a little warmer in there in hopes of getting
this sucker finished. In your opinion, should I just practice
restraint and wait it out? Like I said, the wine seems fine aside
from being slightly sweet. No bad odors or tastes.

Thanks!

JG

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

JG wrote:

> On Nov 25, 10:36 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> > wrote:
>> JG wrote:
>> > On Nov 25, 9:50 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"

>> > Thanks Paul. I did use a hydrometer rather than a refractometer to
>> > measure, just didn't record the SG. So a little converter tells me
>> > that my SG is somewhere around 1.004 and 1.006. The wine definitely
>> > has a sweet taste.

>> > Thanks!

>> > JG

>> Some wines are just like that and can't really be explained.
>> I have 6 gallons of Vidal Blanc that was started in September along with
>> my
>> other whites and it is just now finishing fermentation. The rest have
>> long
>> since finished. What is the temperature where it is located? I have a
>> basement and in the fall when the temperature drops down in the 60's the
>> fermentations take longer to finish.
>>
>> --
>> To reply via email, remove the obvious
>> Paul

> Hi Paul,
> Yes, the wine is in a rather cool garage (definitely low 60's) and as
> such I've been trying to warm it up to help things along. I'll keep
> trying to get the temp a little warmer in there in hopes of getting
> this sucker finished. In your opinion, should I just practice
> restraint and wait it out? Like I said, the wine seems fine aside
> from being slightly sweet. No bad odors or tastes.
>
> Thanks!
>
> JG

Yep, that is what I would do. Just be patient.

--
To reply via email, remove the obvious
Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 25, 1:41*pm, JG > wrote:
> On Nov 25, 10:36 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"
>

> > wrote:
> > JG wrote:
> > > On Nov 25, 9:50 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"

> > > Thanks Paul. *I did use a hydrometer rather than a refractometer to
> > > measure, just didn't record the SG. *So a little converter tells me
> > > that my SG is somewhere around 1.004 and 1.006. *The wine definitely
> > > has a sweet taste.

> > > Thanks!

> > > JG

> > Some wines are just like that and can't really be explained.
> > I have 6 gallons of Vidal Blanc that was started in September along with my
> > other whites and it is just now finishing fermentation. *The rest have long
> > since finished. *What is the temperature where it is located? *I have a
> > basement and in the fall when the temperature drops down in the 60's the
> > fermentations take longer to finish.

> > --
> > To reply via email, remove the obvious
> > Paul

> Hi Paul,
> Yes, the wine is in a rather cool garage (definitely low 60's) and as
> such I've been trying to warm it up to help things along. *I'll keep
> trying to get the temp a little warmer in there in hopes of getting
> this sucker finished. *In your opinion, should I just practice
> restraint and wait it out? *Like I said, the wine seems fine aside
> from being slightly sweet. *No bad odors or tastes.
>
> Thanks!
>
> JG- Hide quoted text -

Stir it too, that seems to help. I swirl carboys that aren't done and
for whatever reason stirring seems to get them going better. I have a
Vermentino and Verdichio that are still around 1% but are still
dropping slowly, the wine is at 60F. Warmer is more effective if
possible.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 30, 5:43 am, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
> On Nov 25, 1:41 pm, JG > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 25, 10:36 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"

> > > wrote:

> > > Some wines are just like that and can't really be explained.
> > > I have 6 gallons of Vidal Blanc that was started in September along with my
> > > other whites and it is just now finishing fermentation. The rest have long
> > > since finished. What is the temperature where it is located? I have a
> > > basement and in the fall when the temperature drops down in the 60's the
> > > fermentations take longer to finish.

> > > --
> > > To reply via email, remove the obvious
> > > Paul

> > Hi Paul,
> > Yes, the wine is in a rather cool garage (definitely low 60's) and as
> > such I've been trying to warm it up to help things along. I'll keep
> > trying to get the temp a little warmer in there in hopes of getting
> > this sucker finished. In your opinion, should I just practice
> > restraint and wait it out? Like I said, the wine seems fine aside
> > from being slightly sweet. No bad odors or tastes.

> > Thanks!

> > JG- Hide quoted text -

> Stir it too, that seems to help. I swirl carboys that aren't done and
> for whatever reason stirring seems to get them going better. I have a
> Vermentino and Verdichio that are still around 1% but are still
> dropping slowly, the wine is at 60F. Warmer is more effective if
> possible.
>
> Joe

Thanks Joe! The wine is in 3 gal carboys so I have been able to put
them in a warm water bath (in my sink) and they start bubbling really
well.

I am just concerned that what I am seeing is MLF. I am not 100%
sure of the visible difference between MLF bubbles and primary ferm.
bubbles. I was getting about 5-6 airlock burps every minute. My gut
says that the bubbles are primary ferm. but the SG is not dropping (or
at least very slightly) but that might be a patience problem. I did
stir it and it seemed to get going even better.

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks,
JG