Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Cactus pear wine - why boil?

Greetings all,

I have a few lbs of cactus pear and checked out Jack Keller's method
on his site, which calls for boiling the cut up fruit. My question,
why boil? does it do anything to the juice that I should be aware of?
I have been making wine from fresh grapes for a few years and was
wondering if I can just ferment, after adjusting for sugar & acid, the
same way I ferment say a Rose, cold temp.

I sent Jack an e-mail, but I might have an old address and I don’t
want to leave the fruit sitting for too long.

Thanks in advance!

Uzi
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 20, 11:04*am, wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have a few lbs ofcactuspear and checked out Jack Keller's method
> on his site, which calls for boiling the cut up fruit. My question,
> why boil? does it do anything to the juice that I should be aware of?
> I have been making wine from fresh grapes for a few years and was
> wondering if I can just ferment, after adjusting for sugar & acid, the
> same way I ferment say a *Rose, cold temp.
>
> I sent Jack an e-mail, but I might have an old address and I don’t
> want to leave the fruit sitting for too long.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Uzi

Never mind! I see most everyone is hanging around winepress.us and
found the answer there.
Uzi
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 27, 12:50*am, A. J. Rawls > wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:57:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:
> >On Nov 20, 11:04*am, wrote:
> >> Greetings all,

> >> I have a few lbs ofcactuspear and checked out Jack Keller's method
> >> on his site, which calls for boiling the cut up fruit. My question,
> >> why boil? does it do anything to the juice that I should be aware of?
> >> I have been making wine from fresh grapes for a few years and was
> >> wondering if I can just ferment, after adjusting for sugar & acid, the
> >> same way I ferment say a *Rose, cold temp.

> >> I sent Jack an e-mail, but I might have an old address and I don’t
> >> want to leave the fruit sitting for too long.

> >> Thanks in advance!

> >>Uzi

> >Never mind! I see most everyone is hanging around winepress.us and
> >found the answer there.
> >Uzi

> What was the answer???
>
> The Anchorage Fishwrapper and Litterbox Liner Press

No scientific answer, which is what I was looking for. Bottom line,
that's Jack's way. I found other posts without boiling as well, so I
figured it was optional.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote in message
On Nov 27, 12:50 am, A. J. Rawls > wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:57:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:
> >On Nov 20, 11:04 am, wrote:
> >> Greetings all,

> >> I have a few lbs ofcactuspear and checked out Jack Keller's method
> >> on his site, which calls for boiling the cut up fruit. My question,
> >> why boil? does it do anything to the juice that I should be aware of?
> >> I have been making wine from fresh grapes for a few years and was
> >> wondering if I can just ferment, after adjusting for sugar & acid, the
> >> same way I ferment say a Rose, cold temp.

> >> I sent Jack an e-mail, but I might have an old address and I don’t
> >> want to leave the fruit sitting for too long.

> >> Thanks in advance!

> >>Uzi

> >Never mind! I see most everyone is hanging around winepress.us and
> >found the answer there.
> >Uzi

> What was the answer???
>
> The Anchorage Fishwrapper and Litterbox Liner Press

No scientific answer, which is what I was looking for. Bottom line,
that's Jack's way. I found other posts without boiling as well, so I
figured it was optional.

Uzi

Of course there is. You know that baked apple pie tastes nothing
like the raw apples that it is made from. The reason is something
called Furfural. It is formed whenever something with sugar in it
is heated and is what gives things there "cooked" flavors. While
some folks prefer one flavor over the other, there is nothing wrong
with either. They are just different.

The easy way to determine which flavor you prefer when first
starting out is to cook a small sample, let it cool, and see which
you like. Do a search of this group for Furfural and you will find
a very nice technical explaination that Lum posted several years
ago. HTH

Frederick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Here is a copy of one from 2004 that I still have on file:

"Lum" > wrote in message

> "frederick ploegman" > wrote in message
>> Lum
>>
>> Some time back you posted a very nice explanation of furfural and gave
>> the temp at which it forms. Can't seem to find it now. Could you post
>> it again here for us please ??
>>
>> Frederick

> Is this the one Frederick?
>
> Grape concentrate is made by removing water from juice. The water is
> removed by heating the juice to 120 - 140 F in a vacuum vessel. A
> material
> called hydroxymethylfurfural is produced (from sugar) when grape juice is
> heated to these temperatures, and hydroxy-methylfurfural produces a
> distinctive taste in wines made from concentrate. This is why most wine
> competitions have separate divisions for wines made from concentrate.
>
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

Hi Lum

Yup, that's what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Best Regards
Frederick

Pear wine Dick Heckman[_2_] Winemaking 2 08-06-2009 07:23 PM
Pear Cactus Makes Mexican Meals Good for People with Diabetes Gumbo Diabetic 0 02-06-2007 02:01 PM
pear wine help alien Winemaking 4 22-10-2004 07:11 PM
Pear wine---pear brandy Nancree General Cooking 1 04-04-2004 06:53 AM
Cactus Wine? Spyda Man Winemaking 14 09-11-2003 01:54 PM