Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default New Yahoo Group: Home-Winemaking

With so many ISPs limiting access to Usenet newsgroups (hence my need
to use Google to post this), you may be interested in a new Yahoo
group for home winemaking. Well, it's newly renamed, anyway, to a more
descriptive name in hopes that it will draw some new members.

This is a moderated group where new members are moderated for a time
and spam results in banning from the group. But don't take that as
unfriendliness on our part, please! It is just a way of making Home-
Winemaking a more pleasant group.

We also ask that no discussion of distilling be made, and to refrain
from offensive language. Usually, just using "common sense" will work
for most people when posting.

New members are usually approved within 24 hours (normally sooner).
Your posts are also usually released to the group within 24 hours
(again, normally much sooner).

This has been a quiet group while under the old name, Zymurgy-Wine,
which didn't really say much about the purpose of the group.

There aren't lots of rules. We hope that people stay on-topic most of
the time, but it's OK to drift off a little.

If you want to share your expertise and experience or if yo uare new
to winemaking and have some questions, I hope you find our group a
welcome experience and I look forward to seeing you there.

Donald
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 11, 6:32*pm, wrote:
> With so many ISPs limiting access to Usenet newsgroups (hence my need
> to use Google to post this), you may be interested in a new Yahoo
> group for home winemaking. Well, it's newly renamed, anyway, to a more
> descriptive name in hopes that it will draw some new members.
>
> This is a moderated group where new members are moderated for a time
> and spam results in banning from the group. But don't take that as
> unfriendliness on our part, please! It is just a way of making Home-
> Winemaking a more pleasant group.
>
> We also ask that no discussion of distilling be made, and to refrain
> from offensive language. Usually, just using "common sense" will work
> for most people when posting.
>
> New members are usually approved within 24 hours (normally sooner).
> Your posts are also usually released to the group within 24 hours
> (again, normally much sooner).
>
> This has been a quiet group while under the old name, Zymurgy-Wine,
> which didn't really say much about the purpose of the group.
>
> There aren't lots of rules. We hope that people stay on-topic most of
> the time, but it's OK to drift off a little.
>
> If you want to share your expertise and experience or if yo uare new
> to winemaking and have some questions, I hope you find our group a
> welcome experience and I look forward to seeing you there.
>
> Donald

Do you have a link to the group we can use to access it?

Thanks,

-Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:32:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>With so many ISPs limiting access to Usenet newsgroups (hence my need
>to use Google to post this), you may be interested in a new Yahoo
>group for home winemaking. Well, it's newly renamed, anyway, to a more
>descriptive name in hopes that it will draw some new members.
>
>This is a moderated group where new members are moderated for a time
>and spam results in banning from the group. But don't take that as
>unfriendliness on our part, please! It is just a way of making Home-
>Winemaking a more pleasant group.
>
>We also ask that no discussion of distilling be made, and to refrain
>from offensive language. Usually, just using "common sense" will work
>for most people when posting.
>
>New members are usually approved within 24 hours (normally sooner).
>Your posts are also usually released to the group within 24 hours
>(again, normally much sooner).
>
>This has been a quiet group while under the old name, Zymurgy-Wine,
>which didn't really say much about the purpose of the group.
>
>There aren't lots of rules. We hope that people stay on-topic most of
>the time, but it's OK to drift off a little.
>
>If you want to share your expertise and experience or if yo uare new
>to winemaking and have some questions, I hope you find our group a
>welcome experience and I look forward to seeing you there.
>
>Donald

They ask folks to enter letters/numbers that are not machine readable
but they are so distorted that they are not "human readable" to me...
The Anchorage Fishwrapper and Litterbox Liner Press
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

wrote:
> With so many ISPs limiting access to Usenet newsgroups (hence my need
> to use Google to post this), you may be interested in a new Yahoo
> group for home winemaking. Well, it's newly renamed, anyway, to a more
> descriptive name in hopes that it will draw some new members.
>
> This is a moderated group where new members are moderated for a time
> and spam results in banning from the group. But don't take that as
> unfriendliness on our part, please! It is just a way of making Home-
> Winemaking a more pleasant group.
>
> We also ask that no discussion of distilling be made, and to refrain
> from offensive language. Usually, just using "common sense" will work
> for most people when posting.
>
> New members are usually approved within 24 hours (normally sooner).
> Your posts are also usually released to the group within 24 hours
> (again, normally much sooner).
>
> This has been a quiet group while under the old name, Zymurgy-Wine,
> which didn't really say much about the purpose of the group.
>
> There aren't lots of rules. We hope that people stay on-topic most of
> the time, but it's OK to drift off a little.
>
> If you want to share your expertise and experience or if yo uare new
> to winemaking and have some questions, I hope you find our group a
> welcome experience and I look forward to seeing you there.
>
> Donald

No need to re-invent the wheel. You can read and respond using
aioe.cjb.net I've been using this free server since Comcast canceled
Giganews. There are others.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 11, 5:46*pm, "rec.crafts.winemaking"
> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 6:32*pm, wrote:
>

> > With so many ISPs limiting access to Usenet newsgroups (hence my need
> > to use Google to post this), you may be interested in a new Yahoo
> > group for home winemaking. Well, it's newly renamed, anyway, to a more
> > descriptive name in hopes that it will draw some new members.

> > This is a moderated group where new members are moderated for a time
> > and spam results in banning from the group. But don't take that as
> > unfriendliness on our part, please! It is just a way of making Home-
> > Winemaking a more pleasant group.

> > We also ask that no discussion of distilling be made, and to refrain
> > from offensive language. Usually, just using "common sense" will work
> > for most people when posting.

> > New members are usually approved within 24 hours (normally sooner).
> > Your posts are also usually released to the group within 24 hours
> > (again, normally much sooner).

> > This has been a quiet group while under the old name, Zymurgy-Wine,
> > which didn't really say much about the purpose of the group.

> > There aren't lots of rules. We hope that people stay on-topic most of
> > the time, but it's OK to drift off a little.

> > If you want to share your expertise and experience or if yo uare new
> > to winemaking and have some questions, I hope you find our group a
> > welcome experience and I look forward to seeing you there.

> > Donald

> Do you have a link to the group we can use to access it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Paul- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:46:00 -0800 (PST), "rec.crafts.winemaking"
> wrote:

>Do you have a link to the group we can use to access it?

Sorry about that. I really should have included one, shouldn't I?

This one is a bit shorter than the other one someone helpful posted
(and thanks, by the way, for posting one!)

Don
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:35:23 -0900, A. J. Rawls >
wrote:

>They ask folks to enter letters/numbers that are not machine readable
>but they are so distorted that they are not "human readable" to me...
>The Anchorage Fishwrapper and Litterbox Liner Press

I agree with you about the captcha they use. It takes some effort to
decipher it.

We had one person try to join and immediately unsubscribed due to that
reason.

It's a shame, because I believe you only see it when you are signing
up for an account, not as a typical security check.

If you can get past that the first time, I don't think you will see it
again unless you make some major changes to your Yahoo account.

Yahoo isn't perfect, but it's free. They do have a feedback system. If
enough people complain, they will listen.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/gro...l/general.html

Also, I think they have a way for visually handicapped people to get
around this, possibly with a sound file speaking the letters and
numbers. I haven't tried that, but it might be worth your while.

Now I have to thank the other person for the free news server
information. It works!

Don
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:30:27 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>No need to re-invent the wheel. You can read and respond using
>aioe.cjb.net I've been using this free server since Comcast canceled
>Giganews. There are others.

Thanks. It doesn't have as many groups as the Agent Premium News
service, but aioe.cjb.net works and is free. APN costs $2.95 per month
for a 12 GB account. I prefer free. (They have 4 levels of service,
the top one is $14.95 for unlimited, and these include access to
binary newsgroups, but I don't have interest in those.)

Just in case someone might be interested in a decent paid service,
here's the APN link. If you own the Agent newsreader/email program,
you can try it free for three months using your registration
information on the splash screen (accessible through the help menu
also).

http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/faq.php

Don

A Yahoo Group for Fermented Foods Donald[_3_] Sourdough 1 08-07-2011 04:41 AM
yahoo group for bbq lovers Skindog Barbecue 0 05-03-2006 03:57 PM
PETA Yahoo Group Mr Hanky Vegan 1 08-01-2006 10:17 PM
Please feel free to check out this new yahoo group Skindog Barbecue 5 23-11-2005 09:46 PM
anyone recommend a Yahoo group Kylie General Cooking 1 28-12-2003 03:12 PM