FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   wine grape analyses with frozen musts (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/163248-wine-grape-analyses-frozen.html)

Lee[_11_] 27-10-2008 02:07 PM

wine grape analyses with frozen musts

I've always had difficulty getting reliable results when I test my
frozen musts for pH, TA, SG, and Brix. It seems that my values often
don't match the values listed by the suppliers. I recently read that
you can't rely on testing for frozen musts. Has anyone else noticed
this? If so, do you find the values are artificially too high or too
low? Is there a pattern? That is, should I assume that my TA values,
for example, are too high?

Thanks,

Lee

Luc Volders[_2_] 27-10-2008 06:45 PM

wine grape analyses with frozen musts

I am afraid I do not understand the question.
You can not test if the must is frozen..........

Put a hydrometer in a pile of ice lumps ????
Do a titration on icelumps ????

Thaw the must and do the testing.
That should be accurate....

Luc

--
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.com/

R M Watkin 28-10-2008 08:41 AM

wine grape analyses with frozen musts

Hi All,
"Lee" > wrote in message
> I've always had difficulty getting reliable results when I test my
> frozen musts for pH, TA, SG, and Brix. It seems that my values often
> don't match the values listed by the suppliers. I recently read that
> you can't rely on testing for frozen musts. Has anyone else noticed
> this? If so, do you find the values are artificially too high or too
> low? Is there a pattern? That is, should I assume that my TA values,
> for example, are too high?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee

What isBrix?.

Richard M. Watkin.

gene 28-10-2008 01:52 PM

R M Watkin wrote:
> Hi All,
> "Lee" > wrote in message
>> I've always had difficulty getting reliable results when I test my
>> frozen musts for pH, TA, SG, and Brix. It seems that my values often
>> don't match the values listed by the suppliers. I recently read that
>> you can't rely on testing for frozen musts. Has anyone else noticed
>> this? If so, do you find the values are artificially too high or too
>> low? Is there a pattern? That is, should I assume that my TA values,
>> for example, are too high?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Lee

> What isBrix?.
>
> Richard M. Watkin.

Brix is percent by weight of sugars in the must, measured with a
refractometer or with a hygrometer. It is related to SG (specific gravity).

[email protected] 28-10-2008 03:27 PM

On Oct 27, 10:07*am, Lee > wrote:
> I've always had difficulty getting reliable results when I test my
> frozen musts for pH, TA, SG, and Brix. *It seems that my values often
> don't match the values listed by the suppliers. *I recently read that
> you can't rely on testing for frozen musts. *Has anyone else noticed
> this? *If so, do you find the values are artificially too high or too
> low? *Is there a pattern? *That is, should I assume that my TA values,
> for example, are too high?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee

I'm not experienced with this, but if the must is not at room
temperature, that will certainly throw off test values (for example,
hydrometer readings must be adjusted based on the temperature of the
must).

If you are testing at normal temp's or are making the required
adjustments, then I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Chris.

R M Watkin 29-10-2008 08:55 AM

wine grape analyses with frozen musts

Hi, Thank you.
"gene" > wrote in message
>R M Watkin wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> "Lee" > wrote in message
>>> I've always had difficulty getting reliable results when I test my
>>> frozen musts for pH, TA, SG, and Brix. It seems that my values often
>>> don't match the values listed by the suppliers. I recently read that
>>> you can't rely on testing for frozen musts. Has anyone else noticed
>>> this? If so, do you find the values are artificially too high or too
>>> low? Is there a pattern? That is, should I assume that my TA values,
>>> for example, are too high?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Lee

>> What isBrix?.
>>
>> Richard M. Watkin.

> Brix is percent by weight of sugars in the must, measured with a
> refractometer or with a hygrometer. It is related to SG (specific
> gravity).

Thank you I have never heard it called that before.

Richard M. Watkin.