Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Kiefer Pears

I've just been given about 35 lbs of Kiefer pears. I've made wine once
before with them but it was a lot of work to core and grind them. I
remember seeing a recipe that involved cooking them but I can't find it
now. Anybody have any recipes and alternates to a meat grinder.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dick Heckman" > wrote in message
> I've just been given about 35 lbs of Kiefer pears. I've made wine once
> before with them but it was a lot of work to core and grind them. I
> remember seeing a recipe that involved cooking them but I can't find it
> now. Anybody have any recipes and alternates to a meat grinder.
>
> Dick

I've made an occasional batch of pear wine, some of it cream pear. You have
a lot of pears, which would allow you to do that. Check:

http://home.comcast.net/~rbfarm/hrushka.html

I generally quarter my pears, cut out the cores and freeze them. When they
are thawed, they give off a lot of pear nectar.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I've used this recipe with & without the raisins and it's always been well
received. It's not as much work as one might think at first reading and if
you haven't got the official nylon bags ( well worth the expenditure IMHO)
you can also use a pair of nylon stockings or pantyhose ( new or well
laundered, preferably.) JK's recipes are bulletproof! good luck & regards,
bob

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request203.asp

"Dick Heckman" > wrote in message
> I've just been given about 35 lbs of Kiefer pears. I've made wine once
> before with them but it was a lot of work to core and grind them. I
> remember seeing a recipe that involved cooking them but I can't find it
> now. Anybody have any recipes and alternates to a meat grinder.
>
> Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 15, 6:32*pm, Dick Heckman > wrote:
> I've just been given about 35 lbs of Kiefer pears. *I've made wine once
> before with them but it was a lot of work to core and grind them. *I
> remember seeing a recipe that involved cooking them but I can't find it
> now. *Anybody have any recipes and alternates to a meat grinder.
>
> Dick

Dick,

One of the best fruit wines I've ever made (or had) was a pear wine -
I made it dry, based on a variation of JK's recipe without the
raisins, and it tasted like a full-bodied sauvignon blanc (probably
because the fruit was a little underripe).

The main thing I would add is in the handling of the pears. I washed
them well, coarsely chopped them up whole (seeds, cores and all) and
froze them. When I was ready to make the wine, I put the frozen pears
in the bottom of my primary, then boiled water to pour over & cover
the pears, and let them sit overnight before proceeding to strain and
press out the liquid.

The freezing and thawing helps the fruit release its juices; thawing
covered with water helps minimize browning.

Good Luck

Leigh

What's Up With Pears Lately? Way Back Jack[_5_] General Cooking 8 05-02-2012 06:53 PM
Pears The Cook Preserving 17 17-10-2011 12:41 AM
Pears again George Shirley Preserving 1 19-08-2008 05:51 AM
Pears, pears, and more pears George Shirley Preserving 5 10-08-2004 03:07 AM
Pears, pears, and more pears George Shirley Preserving 20 01-08-2004 02:54 AM