Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Juice Pails in NE West Virginia or NW Maryland

Hi everyone...

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts on this newsgroup for the
past 4 years.
I live in Nebraska and there are very few home winemakers here so I
rely on this group and one other to expand my knowledge. Thanks to
all of you for this.
I will visiting my son this year who just moved from Bowie, MD to
Harpers Ferry, WV and I would like to bring home some juice pails when
I depart for my return trip to Nebraska (I'll keep them cold for the
return 20 hour trip). I plan to return home 10/31/08.
At this time, I was planning to buy them from Luv-a-Bella in
Lowellville, OH (which is right on my route home). Is there a better
place to buy them? Or, are there any other alternatives in NE West
Virginia or NW Maryland?
Also, I understand that these juice pails are "balanced" (acid/pH/
Brix) and pre-inoculated with yeast. Sounds simple enough. Should I do
mlf or would it be better to use Lysozyme to prevent it? Someone told
me that some juice pails are balance with D-malic which can't be
metabolized by mlf and leaves you thinking you have a stuck mlf when
testing with Chomatogarphy test.
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

winemaker wrote:

> Hi everyone...
>
> I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts on
> this newsgroup for the past 4 years.
> I live in Nebraska and there are very few home
> winemakers here so I
> rely on this group and one other to expand my
> knowledge. Thanks to all of you for this.
> I will visiting my son this year who just moved
> from Bowie, MD to Harpers Ferry, WV and I would
> like to bring home some juice pails when I
> depart for my return trip to Nebraska (I'll keep
> them cold for the return 20 hour trip). I plan
> to return home 10/31/08. At this time, I was
> planning to buy them from Luv-a-Bella in
> Lowellville, OH (which is right on my route
> home). Is there a better place to buy them? Or,
> are there any other alternatives in NE West
> Virginia or NW Maryland?

Oct 31 is normally past the end of the season in
these parts (I live in Maryland about 7 miles
from Harpers Ferry) Cabernet Sauvignon is
usually the last grape that gets harvested around
here and that normally occurs the 2nd or third
week of October.

There is a place in Mt. Airy, Maryland (about 25
miles East of here)that sells grapes and I
believe juice. I bought some Malbec from
Argentina from them last year. I think they sell
juice also but I doubt it is balanced for you.

Here is their link:
http://mdcrush.com/

> Also, I understand that
> these juice pails are "balanced" (acid/pH/ Brix)
> and pre-inoculated with yeast. Sounds simple
> enough. Should I do mlf or would it be better to
> use Lysozyme to prevent it? Someone told me that
> some juice pails are balance with D-malic which
> can't be metabolized by mlf and leaves you
> thinking you have a stuck mlf when testing with
> Chomatogarphy test. Any help or comments would
> be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 4, 10:43*am, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> winemaker wrote:
> > Hi everyone...

> > I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts on
> > this newsgroup for the past 4 years.
> > I live in Nebraska and there are very few home
> > winemakers here so I
> > rely on this group and one other to expand my
> > knowledge. *Thanks to all of you for this.
> > I will visiting my son this year who just moved
> > from Bowie, MD to Harpers Ferry, WV and I would
> > like to bring home some juice pails when I
> > depart for my return trip to Nebraska (I'll keep
> > them cold for the return 20 hour trip). I plan
> > to return home 10/31/08. At this time, I was
> > planning to buy them from Luv-a-Bella in
> > Lowellville, OH (which is right on my route
> > home). Is there a better place to buy them? Or,
> > are there any other alternatives in NE West
> > Virginia or NW Maryland?

> Oct 31 is normally past the end of the season in
> these parts (I live in Maryland about 7 miles
> from Harpers Ferry) *Cabernet Sauvignon is
> usually the last grape that gets harvested around
> here and that normally occurs the 2nd or third
> week of October.
>
> There is a place in Mt. Airy, Maryland (about 25
> miles East of here)that sells grapes and I
> believe juice. *I bought some Malbec from
> Argentina from them last year. *I think they sell
> juice also but I doubt it is balanced for you.
>
> Here is their link:http://mdcrush.com/
>

> > Also, I understand that
> > these juice pails are "balanced" (acid/pH/ Brix)
> > and pre-inoculated with yeast. Sounds simple
> > enough. Should I do mlf or would it be better to
> > use Lysozyme to prevent it? Someone told me that
> > some juice pails are balance with D-malic which
> > can't be metabolized by mlf and leaves you
> > thinking you have a stuck mlf when testing with
> > Chomatogarphy test. Any help or comments would
> > be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Paul...

I remember reading and learning a lot from you over the years!

I emailed MDcrush last year and have been following their website and
newsletters. Thanks for pointing me that way ... I guess I didn't
realize how close they (and you) are to my son's house.

Due to the logistics of travel, I thought I'd go with juice pails this
year as it would probably be easier than doing grapes that far from
home. My grapes (and house roof) got 90% destroyed by golf-ball size
hail this year, so I need to get something and juice pails seemed like
an easy deal (we can't get CA grapes here ...without a 900 mile
drive).

I need to harvest my small (very small) remaining crop before leaving
for WV so I can't get there any earlier. Luv-a-Bella will "hold" juice
pails for me till 10/31 so that will work out okay. I'd prefer that
they didn't "balance" the juice or pre-innoculate with yeast, but that
is just the way the do it. I'll call them again to see if they can
tell me "how" they balance their juice (tartaric or "other").

Thanks again for your help and if you can think of anything else, let
me know.
Roger
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

winemaker wrote:

> [...]

> you) are to my son's house.
>
> Due to the logistics of travel, I thought I'd go
> with juice pails this year as it would probably
> be easier than doing grapes that far from home.
> My grapes (and house roof) got 90% destroyed by
> golf-ball size hail this year, so I need to get
> something and juice pails seemed like an easy
> deal (we can't get CA grapes here ...without a
> 900 mile drive).
>
> I need to harvest my small (very small)
> remaining crop before leaving for WV so I can't
> get there any earlier. Luv-a-Bella will "hold"
> juice pails for me till 10/31 so that will work
> out okay. I'd prefer that they didn't "balance"
> the juice or pre-innoculate with yeast, but that
> is just the way the do it. I'll call them again
> to see if they can tell me "how" they balance
> their juice (tartaric or "other").
>
> Thanks again for your help and if you can think

If you wanted to go with concentrate (there are
some good ones now these days) you could check
out the store "Flying Barrel" in Frederick,
Maryland. That is only about 30 miles from your
son and 15 miles from me here in Brunswick, MD.

http://www.flyingbarrel.com/

My backyard vineyard (110 vines) are doing fairly
well this year - Merlot, Cabernet Franc and
Cabernet Sauvignon - but I don't have any to
spare and will be buying grapes - especially the
whites for my fall wine making.

Good Luck

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> > Thanks Paul...
>
> > I remember reading and learning a lot from you
> > over the years!

> > I emailed MDcrush last year and have been
> > following their website and
> > newsletters. *Thanks for pointing me that way
> > ... I guess I didn't realize how close they (and
> > you) are to my son's house.

> > Due to the logistics of travel, I thought I'd go
> > with juice pails this year as it would probably
> > be easier than doing grapes that far from home.
> > My grapes (and house roof) got 90% destroyed by
> > golf-ball size hail this year, so I need to get
> > something and juice pails seemed like an easy
> > deal (we can't get CA grapes here ...without a
> > 900 mile drive).

> > I need to harvest my small (very small)
> > remaining crop before leaving for WV so I can't
> > get there any earlier. Luv-a-Bella will "hold"
> > juice pails for me till 10/31 so that will work
> > out okay. I'd prefer that they didn't "balance"
> > the juice or pre-innoculate with yeast, but that
> > is just the way the do it. I'll call them again
> > to see if they can tell me "how" they balance
> > their juice (tartaric or "other").

> > Thanks again for your help and if you can think
> > of anything else, let me know.
> > Roger

> If you wanted to go with concentrate (there are
> some good ones now these days) you could check
> out the store "Flying Barrel" in Frederick,
> Maryland. *That is only about 30 miles from your
> son and 15 miles from me here in Brunswick, MD.
>
> http://www.flyingbarrel.com/
>
> My backyard vineyard (110 vines) are doing fairly
> well this year - Merlot, Cabernet Franc and
> Cabernet Sauvignon - but I don't have any to
> spare and will be buying grapes - especially the
> whites for my fall wine making.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Paul...

Although I prefer fresh grapes/juice I have done several of the high-
end kits with grape skin packs and I agree they are pretty good ...
they have come a long way!!

I work (help out) at a few local wineries and get my white grapes
locally (which turn out prety good) but unfortunately our cold climate
does not allow us to grow viniferas and I still have not gotten used
to our cold climate red grape wines. I got spoiled living in
California and these cold weather grapes just aren't the same. That is
why I try to buy juice or grapes whenever I can.

On our last visit, two years ago, we tried to visit all the wineries
in Maryland and stopped in at the Flying Barrell... nice folks.

Last time we attended WICOMICO County Autumn Wine Festival on the East
Shore and had a great time. Unfortunately, it was the same weekend as
the Liganore Festival which we had to miss. This time we plan to
attend the Liganore festival (Oct 18 or 19th). We visited their
winery last time and really enjoyed it... and had a very long and nice
conversation with the winemaker.

Paul, thanks again for all your help.... I REALLY appreciate it!!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

winemaker wrote:

> [...]

> does not allow us to grow viniferas and I still
> have not gotten used to our cold climate red
> grape wines. I got spoiled living in California
> and these cold weather grapes just aren't the
> same. That is why I try to buy juice or grapes
> whenever I can.
>
> On our last visit, two years ago, we tried to
> visit all the wineries in Maryland and stopped
> in at the Flying Barrell... nice folks.
>
> Last time we attended WICOMICO County Autumn
> Wine Festival on the East
> Shore and had a great time. Unfortunately, it
> was the same weekend as
> the Liganore Festival which we had to miss.
> This time we plan to
> attend the Liganore festival (Oct 18 or 19th).
> We visited their winery last time and really
> enjoyed it... and had a very long and nice
> conversation with the winemaker.
>
> Paul, thanks again for all your help.... I

Glad to help out.

While at your son's you could check out Breaux
Vineyards and Winery. It is VERY close to
Harpers Ferry - Down Harpers Ferry road near the
intersection of Rt 9. They make some good wines.

Also, Hillsboro Winery is just down Hwy 9 a short
distance from Breaux (I helped plant that
vineyard) and Doukenie (formerly Windham Winery -
where I worked part time after retirement) is
just a short distance from Hillsboro on the other
side of Short Hill Mountain. Loudon Valley winery
is just further down Hwy 9 near the intersection
of 9 and 287.

Have fun

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 5, 3:31*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:

> >> If you wanted to go with concentrate (there are
> >> some good ones now these days) you could check
> >> out the store "Flying Barrel" in Frederick,
> >> Maryland. *That is only about 30 miles from
> >> your son and 15 miles from me here in
> >> Brunswick, MD.

> >>http://www.flyingbarrel.com/

> >> My backyard vineyard (110 vines) are doing
> >> fairly well this year - Merlot, Cabernet Franc
> >> and Cabernet Sauvignon - but I don't have any
> >> to spare and will be buying grapes - especially
> >> the whites for my fall wine making.

> >> Good Luck

> >> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks Paul...

> > Although I prefer fresh grapes/juice I have done
> > several of the high- end kits with grape skin
> > packs and I agree they are pretty good ... they
> > have come a long way!!

> > I work (help out) at a few local wineries and
> > get my white grapes locally (which turn out
> > prety good) but unfortunately our cold climate
> > does not allow us to grow viniferas and I still
> > have not gotten used to our cold climate red
> > grape wines. I got spoiled living in California
> > and these cold weather grapes just aren't the
> > same. That is why I try to buy juice or grapes
> > whenever I can.

> > On our last visit, two years ago, we tried to
> > visit all the wineries in Maryland and stopped
> > in at the Flying Barrell... nice folks.

> > Last time we attended WICOMICO County Autumn
> > Wine Festival on the East
> > Shore and had a great time. *Unfortunately, it
> > was the same weekend as
> > the Liganore Festival which we had to miss.
> > This time we plan to
> > attend the *Liganore festival (Oct 18 or 19th).
> > We visited their winery last time and really
> > enjoyed it... and had a very long and nice
> > conversation with the winemaker.

> > Paul, thanks again for all your help.... I
> > REALLY appreciate it!!

> Glad to help out.
>
> While at your son's you could check out Breaux
> Vineyards and Winery. *It is VERY close to
> Harpers Ferry - Down Harpers Ferry road near the
> intersection of Rt 9. *They make some good wines.
>
> Also, Hillsboro Winery is just down Hwy 9 a short
> distance from Breaux (I helped plant that
> vineyard) and Doukenie (formerly Windham Winery -
> where I worked part time after retirement) is
> just a short distance from Hillsboro on the other
> side of Short Hill Mountain. Loudon Valley winery
> is just further down Hwy 9 near the intersection
> of 9 and 287.
>
> Have fun
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

If you are driving past Pittsburgh Consumers Produce will have some
Italian juice in October. You can email Ron Casertano if you are
interested. You can schedule a pickup. I'm trying some for the first
time this year.

My grapes for this year are crushed and half done; I don't know if the
quality of white juice out of the Central Valley has declined or my
palate has improved but I'm pretty much done buying whites from the
Central Valley.

I get great Traminette from Walkers up in Forestville NY but that is
not on your way as I see it.

Joe

Maryland crab cakes Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 18 20-08-2011 02:38 PM
Grape Juice in Maryland Dick Adams[_3_] Winemaking 2 26-05-2009 01:40 PM
The State Song of West Virginia... Gregory Morrow General Cooking 3 18-05-2006 10:40 PM
BBQ in Maryland Judy Cosler Barbecue 5 23-07-2004 05:27 PM
fresh juice in pails, yeast already added? Simon96Taco Winemaking 3 26-10-2003 03:23 AM