Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Rose Syrup

For those interested I just posted the recipe for rose-syrup on my weblog
and I will also introduce it here.

The syrup is sold in Indonesian (called toko's over here in Holland) shops
but can be made easily by yourself.

For each 140 gram rose petals add 1 liter water and 1 lemon (cut to pieces).
Let it soak for a few days and the sieve it (I use a bucket sieve).

Then add to each liter of this tea 1 kilo sugar and boil it for a few
minutes.

Your complete house will now smell like a rose garden......

Next use the syrup:
- for making lemonade
- as a topping for icecream
- for making icecream
- as flavor and a sweetener for a dry wine
- for making wine

Bewa
The syrup tastes just like roses smell !!!
So it is something you will have to get used to....

You can find the complete story on my web-log at:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/0...ose-syrup.html

The log has some pictures on it that really show off the
fantastic color of the syrup.

So now you have something else to present to your
loved ones.......

Luc

--
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Sounds yummy.

If you're going to do this, please make sure your roses are FOOD GRADE.
(i.e. don't use roses which have been grown with systemic fungicide
and/or systemic insecticides).
This list of NONO's includes Immunox by Spectracide, Funginex from
Ortho, Banner Maxx from Novartis and Ortho Systemic Rose Food.

For the rose bushes I use for my food extracts, I spray with a baking
soda and mild dish soap solution whenever new shoots appear and again a
couple of days later when the shoots have opened. I also spray again
whenever I see any aphids. Do the spraying in the morning and you won't
encourage mildew growth. The rose bushes won't look as pretty, but they
won't slowly poison you when you consume the extract of the petals. The
baking soda helps control mildew, and the the soap solution helps
control aphids.

Another way to make rose flavored sweetener is to grind rose petals with
a little bit of sugar in a mortar and pestle. If you don't mind a few
rose petal particles in your sweetened beverage/food, this is a quick
way to get the same effect.

It has gotten rave reviews in Valentines Day champagne. It takes very
little to flavor the champagne.

The sugar/rose 'paste' mixture stores well in the refrigerator for up to
a year.

Gene

Luc Volders wrote:
> For those interested I just posted the recipe for rose-syrup on my weblog
> and I will also introduce it here.
>
> The syrup is sold in Indonesian (called toko's over here in Holland) shops
> but can be made easily by yourself.
>
> For each 140 gram rose petals add 1 liter water and 1 lemon (cut to pieces).
> Let it soak for a few days and the sieve it (I use a bucket sieve).
>
> Then add to each liter of this tea 1 kilo sugar and boil it for a few
> minutes.
>
> Your complete house will now smell like a rose garden......
>
> Next use the syrup:
> - for making lemonade
> - as a topping for icecream
> - for making icecream
> - as flavor and a sweetener for a dry wine
> - for making wine
>
> Bewa
> The syrup tastes just like roses smell !!!
> So it is something you will have to get used to....
>
> You can find the complete story on my web-log at:
> http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/0...ose-syrup.html
>
> The log has some pictures on it that really show off the
> fantastic color of the syrup.
>
> So now you have something else to present to your
> loved ones.......
>
> Luc

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 5, 1:09*pm, Luc Volders > wrote:

> Next use the syrup:
> *- for making wine

I'll look for that recipe. I asked here how to make such a wine from
similar syrups (which I could find at one point, but no longer), and
was basically told to plant my own roses instead.

I notice on your blog that you pick the roses near roads. You don't
expect them to be contaminated with all the crud that comes from
partially burned petrol? Manganese (from MMT), etc....?