Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Suggestions on adding ML to Chardonnay

I have 3 batches of chardonnay going now.

Two are warm ferments and the third is a cool ferment

My warm ferments are about done and the cool has some time to go.

Should I wait to add the ML all at once, after the cool ferment is
complete and in a warm area?

Or add them all now during fermentation, assuming the cool ferment will
start ML when it warms up?

Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 23, 8:03 am, homebrewdude >
wrote:
> I have 3 batches of chardonnay going now.
>
> Two are warm ferments and the third is a cool ferment
>
> My warm ferments are about done and the cool has some time to go.
>
> Should I wait to add the ML all at once, after the cool ferment is
> complete and in a warm area?
>
> Or add them all now during fermentation, assuming the cool ferment will
> start ML when it warms up?
>
> Any suggestions?

I've been told (and what I've done) is add the ML cultures on about
day 5 of the fermentation. Too cold and they're difficult to start
and may not finish.

Good luck.

Adding Oak Wayne Harris Winemaking 10 22-02-2008 02:58 AM
Adding Oak [email protected] Winemaking 1 05-10-2006 09:09 PM
%TA not adding up? Greg Winemaking 2 03-02-2006 06:13 AM
Adding Oak? Gerald Todd Winemaking 3 27-01-2005 08:15 PM