Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default large primaries

Guys I was joking about the 65G barrel (i do have it though) as a
primary.

but it got me to thinking, wouldnt larger primaries (and secondaries)
help balance out fruit? one sour plum in a 10g primary will have more
effect than in a 65g primary.

and to gather 65g worth of secondaries?!!!?!! I'd need to sell a
kidney to get an addition tot eh house just for storages 780 bottles
of wine...... PER SEASON!!!!!!

(drinks maybe 2 bottles a year)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

To say nothing about how difficult it would be to lift the secondary up
to the table level so you could rack it. :*)

Does make sense, probably why wineries don't have bad batches as often
as home winers.

DAve

Tater wrote:
> Guys I was joking about the 65G barrel (i do have it though) as a
> primary.
>
> but it got me to thinking, wouldnt larger primaries (and secondaries)
> help balance out fruit? one sour plum in a 10g primary will have more
> effect than in a 65g primary.
>
> and to gather 65g worth of secondaries?!!!?!! I'd need to sell a
> kidney to get an addition tot eh house just for storages 780 bottles
> of wine...... PER SEASON!!!!!!
>

> (drinks maybe 2 bottles a year)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Tater

You only drink 2 bottles per year ?? Here is what to do:
Throw out the 65G barrel to make some extra storage
space. Get a food grade 5 gallon plastic bucket and three
1 gallon jugs. With this you can make two 1 gallon batches
per year. 2 gallons equals 10 bottles of wine. That way
you can give away 80% of your annual production and
still have the 2 bottles you need for yourself !! hehehe ;o)

Frederick

"Tater" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Guys I was joking about the 65G barrel (i do have it though) as a
> primary.
>
> but it got me to thinking, wouldnt larger primaries (and secondaries)
> help balance out fruit? one sour plum in a 10g primary will have more
> effect than in a 65g primary.
>
> and to gather 65g worth of secondaries?!!!?!! I'd need to sell a
> kidney to get an addition tot eh house just for storages 780 bottles
> of wine...... PER SEASON!!!!!!
>

> (drinks maybe 2 bottles a year)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 12, 7:56 pm, Tater > wrote:
> Guys I was joking about the 65G barrel (i do have it though) as a
> primary.
>
> but it got me to thinking, wouldnt larger primaries (and secondaries)
> help balance out fruit? one sour plum in a 10g primary will have more
> effect than in a 65g primary.
>
> and to gather 65g worth of secondaries?!!!?!! I'd need to sell a
> kidney to get an addition tot eh house just for storages 780 bottles
> of wine...... PER SEASON!!!!!!
>
> (drinks maybe 2 bottles a year)

To answer the question; absolutely, the bigger the batch the better
the chances are that anomalies will be absorbed. The biggest barrel I
might buy keeps bouncing around in my mind; 30 gallons -12. There is
a nice barrel from Hungary that holds around 12.5 gallons that sure
seems like the perfect size for me but the sucker is around $250.
Some day maybe, but I would buy a crusher before I buy that....

Joe

large curd vs low fat Somebody General Cooking 5 02-10-2012 05:50 AM
Large Scale Denny_from_MO Sourdough 0 21-01-2006 06:50 AM
a large ham Kurt Barbecue 11 09-12-2004 11:17 AM
Too Small for Large? jmcquown General Cooking 43 16-08-2004 10:12 PM
large casserole pot sub Cooking Equipment 1 27-11-2003 10:59 AM