Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Alcoholic Taste

I just bottled a 5 gallon batch of Carignane wine made from fresh
(California) grapes. Brix was an even 23 and it fermented to dryness,
so that would put it in around 13% alcohol by volume. The wine tastes
fine except that the alcohol is quite noticeable... and leaves a hot
alcoholic aftertaste.

I've never had this happen before... will the alcoholic kick mellow
out over time in the bottle? Or am I stuck with firewater?

Any ideas why a medium-bodied red wine at 13% abv would taste so
alcoholic?

-Travis

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Jul 10, 11:14 am, wrote:
> I just bottled a 5 gallon batch of Carignane wine made from fresh
> (California) grapes. Brix was an even 23 and it fermented to dryness,
> so that would put it in around 13% alcohol by volume. The wine tastes
> fine except that the alcohol is quite noticeable... and leaves a hot
> alcoholic aftertaste.
>
> I've never had this happen before... will the alcoholic kick mellow
> out over time in the bottle? Or am I stuck with firewater?
>
> Any ideas why a medium-bodied red wine at 13% abv would taste so
> alcoholic?
>
> -Travis

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage if you just bottled it, it
should get integrated over time. Alcohol tends to stick out right
after bottling.

For the general question: The alcohol has to be in balance with the
other elements (fruit, acid, tannin, sugar if any) - if it's out of
balance, you can get a hot taste even for mid-level alcohol %.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 10, 11:14 am, wrote:
> Any ideas why a medium-bodied red wine at 13% abv would taste so
> alcoholic?

What was the temperature of the sample you tasted? Temperature can
make huge difference in the perception of alcohol. Sample a big, dry
red wine at 78 degrees F and then again at 68 degrees. A wine that's
intolerable at 78 degrees might be outstanding at 68 degrees.

Also, time will mellow the alcohol a bit. Over time alcohol molecules
will interact (react?) with acid in the wine to create esters that are
beneficial to the flavor and aroma. However, this is generally a
bigger issue with mead than with wine.

Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 10, 4:17 pm, wrote:

> What was the temperature of the sample you tasted? Temperature can
> make huge difference in the perception of alcohol. Sample a big, dry
> red wine at 78 degrees F and then again at 68 degrees. A wine that's
> intolerable at 78 degrees might be outstanding at 68 degrees.

At first it was around 78... so I figured it was just the temperature
that was causing the problem... but even when cooled the alcoholic
taste was present.

Hopefully it will improve in the bottle.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It will probably mellow out just fine. Another trick is to add just a hint
of sweetness. Not enough to make the sugar stand out. Just enough to bring
out the fruit a bit to add flavor to cover up the alcohol. This may well be
doable after you bottle just by adding a half teaspoon of sugar to the wine
when you let it breath.

Ray

ups.com...