FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   making root beer (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/119879-making-root-beer.html)

Tater 27-03-2007 12:13 AM

making root beer

when I started my wine kit, I also tried to do a gallon of homemade
root beer i also picked up(on a lark)

I am pretty sure i followed directions closely, but I am not getting
any bubbles yet, although the yeast in the wine is going like mad. I
think i may have mixed the yeast in too hot a water. does champane
yeast act differently?

Dave Allison 27-03-2007 01:22 AM

making root beer

Sounds like what I experienced. It took bubbles to appear months after
bottling. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but after like 2-3 months, the
root beer had bubbles. The longer I waited, the more.

DAve

Steve[_6_] 27-03-2007 02:29 AM

making root beer

I don't know the root beer kit that you bought, but if the yeast is
going like mad, then CO2 is being generated. You probably have to
wait a week or more for the carbonation to be reasonable.

It sounds like your retailer also told you to skip step2 here. Thats
the wait a while step.

Steve

Tater 28-03-2007 12:58 AM

making root beer

On Mar 26, 8:29 pm, Steve wrote:
I don't know the root beer kit that you bought, but if the yeast is
going like mad, then CO2 is being generated. You probably have to
wait a week or more for the carbonation to be reasonable.

yeah, but compared to the wineexpert kit, this thing is not doing
anything. I'll sit and wait a bit

in fact compared to water, it is doing about the same. I still think
the water was too hot when i added the yeast and killed it.

oh, rainbow flavors homebrew root beer concentrated soda pop base. did
not know there were different types of root beer kits......

It sounds like your retailer also told you to skip step2 here. Thats
the wait a while step.

you aint gonna let me live that one down are you :)

pp 28-03-2007 01:26 AM

making root beer

On Mar 27, 4:58 pm, "Tater" wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:29 pm, Steve wrote:

in fact compared to water, it is doing about the same. I still think
the water was too hot when i added the yeast and killed it.

That's quite possible - how hot was the water? Anything over 50C is
calling for trouble. The rehydration instructions for yeast usually
are around 40C so I wouldn't go much over that.

Pp

Steve[_6_] 28-03-2007 04:02 AM

making root beer

Used to know a guy who regularly made the Rainbow soda pops. He
definitely made ginger ale, cola, and a couple of the root beer types.

I remember him telling me that you had to adjust the amount of yeast
recommended depending on the variety. He made a gallon at a time, and
bottled in 2 litre pop bottles. When the plastic bottle turned hard
he put it in his basement fridge to slow/stop the yeast. He and his
wife were very happy with the results.

Steve

vhr4gsy6t32gfhuwh 28-03-2007 07:03 PM

making root beer

"Tater" wrote in message
oups.com...
when I started my wine kit, I also tried to do a gallon of homemade
root beer i also picked up(on a lark)

I am pretty sure i followed directions closely, but I am not getting
any bubbles yet, although the yeast in the wine is going like mad. I
think i may have mixed the yeast in too hot a water. does champane
yeast act differently?

I have a general question about the root beer kits. I assume these are to
make root beer that is similar to what you get in the grocery store. It has
a lot of sugar but you only ferment it enough to carbonate it - so you have
very low alcohol and a lot of sugar in the final product. If this is right,
how do you stop the fermentation?

Thanks,

Steve[_6_] 29-03-2007 03:46 AM

making root beer

with great difficulty.

Tater 15-04-2007 12:21 AM

making root beer

On Mar 27, 6:58 pm, "Tater" wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:29 pm, Steve wrote:

I don't know the root beer kit that you bought, but if the yeast is
going like mad, then CO2 is being generated. You probably have to
wait a week or more for the carbonation to be reasonable.

yeah, but compared to the wineexpert kit, this thing is not doing
anything. I'll sit and wait a bit

in fact compared to water, it is doing about the same. I still think
the water was too hot when i added the yeast and killed it.

today I gave up, and went and did some testing.

warm water to me is about 120F. I'm assuming i killed the yeast. so I
went and put another shot of yeast in. we shall see what happens