Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Berry and Garey...widely disparate opinions on raspberry wine...what's yours?

I have lots of Oregon brand fruit (not puree) I had planned to use to
make raspberry wine. Then I see CJ Berry states it is a vile idea and
raspberry is too strong. Terry Garey states that is is her singular
favorite of all fruit wines, and her personal reserve for personal
VIPs and special occasions.

So should I go ahead, am I wasting my time, should I chuck them in the
rumpot instead?

Anyone specifically used oregon brand fruit for raspberry wine?

Cheers

Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 20, 2:45 pm, "snpm" > wrote:
> I have lots of Oregon brand fruit (not puree) I had planned to use to
> make raspberry wine. Then I see CJ Berry states it is a vile idea and
> raspberry is too strong.

I don't know what you mean by "Oregon brand", but I think raspberry
wine is magnificent.

One thing that winemaking has taught me is to completely ignore the
opinions of others, because I'm making wine for myself- not CJ Berry,
not Stanley F. Anderson, not the fellow in the wine store who insists
that the best fruit wines taste exactly like grape wines.

Try it. See if you like it.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

snpm wrote:

> I have lots of Oregon brand fruit (not puree) I
> had planned to use to make raspberry wine. Then
> I see CJ Berry states it is a vile idea and
> raspberry is too strong. Terry Garey states that
> is is her singular favorite of all fruit wines,
> and her personal reserve for personal VIPs and
> special occasions.
>
> So should I go ahead, am I wasting my time,
> should I chuck them in the rumpot instead?
>
> Anyone specifically used oregon brand fruit for
> raspberry wine?
>
> Cheers
>
> Sean

CJ Berry did not live in Oregon.

I have tasted EXCELLENT Black Raspberry wine.

I have made some Red Raspberry wine from the shady
portion of my back yard - not so good - way too
much Raspberry and highly acidic.

In a couple weeks, I am planting 25 Black
Raspberry plants in a sunnier part of the yard.

Make the wine.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Madalch" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 20, 2:45 pm, "snpm" > wrote:
>> I have lots of Oregon brand fruit (not puree) I had planned to use to
>> make raspberry wine. Then I see CJ Berry states it is a vile idea and
>> raspberry is too strong.

> I don't know what you mean by "Oregon brand", but I think raspberry
> wine is magnificent.
>
> One thing that winemaking has taught me is to completely ignore the
> opinions of others, because I'm making wine for myself- not CJ Berry,
> not Stanley F. Anderson, not the fellow in the wine store who insists
> that the best fruit wines taste exactly like grape wines.
>
> Try it. See if you like it.

Here is a suggestion. Make a batch of Welch's Niagara White Grape frozen
concentrate wine along with the raspberry. Use Jack Keller's recipe. The
Niagara makes a very nice white table wine by itself but it also makes an
excellent blending wine for all kinds of fruit wines. It will add vinuosity
to the country wines and will cut down on the taste of a too strong wine. I
have been doing this fairly regularly the last few years. In fact, I have a
bunch of Cranberry that my wife loves but I find a bit, well, too
cranberry'y. So I will open a bottle of cranberry and a bottle of Niagara
and blend it right at the table.while she drinks it straight.

Sea Buckthorn berry wine HELP! [email protected] Winemaking 1 15-10-2014 01:00 PM
Is Airen the most widely planted wine grape? Leo Bueno Wine 3 06-01-2007 10:06 PM
juniper berry wine? tessamess Winemaking 4 15-11-2005 10:09 PM
firethorn berry wine rick c Winemaking 0 13-09-2005 04:00 AM
PH & TA in Black Berry (Copuntry) Wine atjo Winemaking 10 30-01-2005 11:09 AM