Winemaking (rec.crafts.winemaking) Discussion of the process, recipes, tips, techniques and general exchange of lore on the process, methods and history of wine making. Includes traditional grape wines, sparkling wines & champagnes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-02-2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-02-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 156
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:07:30 -0600, arrassa arrassa wrote:

Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks


Vineco's Ken Ridge Founders Series New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre
6-week)
Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
(16 litre 6-week)

Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)
Spagnols Cru Select
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-02-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 156
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

Sorry this part duplicate - did something dumb, and sent message
before I was finished

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:07:30 -0600, arrassa arrassa wrote:

Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks


Vineco's Ken Ridge Founders Series New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre
6-week)
Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
(16 litre 6-week)

Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)
Spagnols Cru Select New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

All of these kits should be excellent. Which is best??? Don't know
haven't done 'em all.

Steve
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-02-2007, 09:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

Me, I'd skip the kits and drive down the road to buy wine at the
vineyard, but then I suffer from the disadvantage of living in
Marlborough :-(

On Feb 15, 7:11 pm, Steve wrote:
Sorry this part duplicate - did something dumb, and sent message
before I was finished

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:07:30 -0600, arrassa arrassa wrote:
Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks


Vineco's Ken Ridge Founders Series New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre
6-week)
Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
(16 litre 6-week)

Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)
Spagnols Cru Select New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

All of these kits should be excellent. Which is best??? Don't know
haven't done 'em all.

Steve



  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-02-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 308
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

What's the diff between the Vineco Founders Series and the Showcase?
Is the FS supposed to be "super-premium"? Haven't seen that one
mentioned before I don't think.

Pp

On Feb 14, 10:11 pm, Steve wrote:
Sorry this part duplicate - did something dumb, and sent message
before I was finished

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:07:30 -0600, arrassa arrassa wrote:
Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks


Vineco's Ken Ridge Founders Series New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre
6-week)
Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
(16 litre 6-week)

Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)
Spagnols Cru Select New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

All of these kits should be excellent. Which is best??? Don't know
haven't done 'em all.

Steve





  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-02-2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??


"Steve" wrote in message
...

Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc


Overpriced crap. Not a hint of NZSB character. Flabby, lifeless, and at the
time I bought one, the strangest colour I've ever seen in a wine. A weird
orangey colour in carboy. Not just my opinion, everyone in my wine club was
suitably unimpressed by this offering.


Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)


Excellent, on a par with a good commercial wine.

Brian





  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-02-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 156
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

Brian:

Orangey? Oxidized? Did you check the batch date of the kit?

Steve

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:41:43 -0600, "Brian Lundeen"
wrote:


"Steve" wrote in message
.. .

Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc


Overpriced crap. Not a hint of NZSB character. Flabby, lifeless, and at the
time I bought one, the strangest colour I've ever seen in a wine. A weird
orangey colour in carboy. Not just my opinion, everyone in my wine club was
suitably unimpressed by this offering.


Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)


Excellent, on a par with a good commercial wine.

Brian





  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-02-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 156
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

The Founders Series was added above Showcase as Vineco's top of the
line maybe 18 months ago. The NZ SB was not part of the initial
release, but added maybe 10 months ago. (Sorry too lazy to look up
better dates.)

More recently two grape skin kits were added to the FS line called
Harvest Crush. Varieties currently avail (more details on their
web-site)...

German Riesling
New Zealand Sauv Blanc
Australian Cab/Shiraz
Italian SuperTuscan
French Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre (Crush)
Italian Brunello (Crush)

Steve

On 15 Feb 2007 10:17:24 -0800, "pp" wrote:

What's the diff between the Vineco Founders Series and the Showcase?
Is the FS supposed to be "super-premium"? Haven't seen that one
mentioned before I don't think.

Pp


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-02-2007, 11:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 917
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??


Orangey? Oxidized? Did you check the batch date of the kit?


Sounds oxidized to me too, I had a Pinot Gris that looked like that
from Presque Isle and it never got better, only worse.

Joe

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-02-2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

I made that kit.. and it came out drinkable. It's been cellared for 7
mo now and I keep thinking time will help it get better. The color
isn't bad on mine, just way too dark gold for any Sauv Blanc let alone
a Marlborough. More like a Rombauer Chardonay in color.




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-02-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 308
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

Interesting. I haven't done these - actually I haven't done a
Winexpert kit yet, but I've had a strange colour experience with
pretty much all Spagnol's white kits that I've made (3-4). These
weren't out of date or oxidized, just came out much darker than
expected - medium to deep gold, even for a Riesling/Gewurz blend.

The WE NZ SB kit did very well in the Winemaker mag competition,
better than the Spagnol's En Primeur so that would also suggest your
kit was an anomaly and you should ask them for a replacement.

Pp


On Feb 15, 7:41 pm, "Brian Lundeen" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

...



Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc


Overpriced crap. Not a hint of NZSB character. Flabby, lifeless, and at the
time I bought one, the strangest colour I've ever seen in a wine. A weird
orangey colour in carboy. Not just my opinion, everyone in my wine club was
suitably unimpressed by this offering.



Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)


Excellent, on a par with a good commercial wine.

Brian



  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-02-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Rob Rob is offline
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 75
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

On Feb 15, 1:46 am, "Olwen Williams"
wrote:
Me, I'd skip the kits and drive down the road to buy wine at the
vineyard, but then I suffer from the disadvantage of living in
Marlborough :-(


How do you make it through the day with suffering like that. ;-)

  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-02-2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??


"pp" wrote in message
oups.com...
Interesting. I haven't done these - actually I haven't done a
Winexpert kit yet, but I've had a strange colour experience with
pretty much all Spagnol's white kits that I've made (3-4). These
weren't out of date or oxidized, just came out much darker than
expected - medium to deep gold, even for a Riesling/Gewurz blend.

The WE NZ SB kit did very well in the Winemaker mag competition,
better than the Spagnol's En Primeur so that would also suggest your
kit was an anomaly and you should ask them for a replacement.


No anomaly, and not oxidized. Winexpert acknowledged that there was a colour
issue with this product. I think they explained it vaguely as an enzymatic
problem. I could have lived with the colour if it had displayed good NZSB
character, but it didn't. Not in my effort, and not in a bottle made by a WE
retailer. I don't put a lot of stock in any competition results. There are
so many factors that can influence how well an entry does that have nothing
to do with the absolute quality of the entry. The WE kit obviously has its
fans, but I'm not one of them.

Brian




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sauvignon blanc Daisy Wine 21 08-02-2006 10:01 AM
More Sauvignon Blanc questions Dan Emerson Winemaking 0 30-12-2004 07:04 PM
sauvignon blanc Dan Emerson Winemaking 2 21-12-2004 02:47 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Pinky Winemaking 3 30-07-2004 07:11 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Rob M Winemaking 5 30-07-2004 07:11 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017