Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit??

Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:07:30 -0600, arrassa <arrassa> wrote:

>Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks

Vineco's Ken Ridge Founders Series New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre
6-week)
Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
(16 litre 6-week)

Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)
Spagnols Cru Select
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Sorry this part duplicate - did something dumb, and sent message
before I was finished

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:07:30 -0600, arrassa <arrassa> wrote:

>Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks

Vineco's Ken Ridge Founders Series New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre
6-week)
Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
(16 litre 6-week)

Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)
Spagnols Cru Select New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)

All of these kits should be excellent. Which is best??? Don't know
haven't done 'em all.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Me, I'd skip the kits and drive down the road to buy wine at the
vineyard, but then I suffer from the disadvantage of living in
Marlborough :-(

On Feb 15, 7:11 pm, Steve > wrote:
> Sorry this part duplicate - did something dumb, and sent message
> before I was finished
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:07:30 -0600, arrassa <arrassa> wrote:
> >Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks

> Vineco's Ken Ridge Founders Series New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre
> 6-week)
> Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)
>
> Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
> (16 litre 6-week)
>
> Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)
> Spagnols Cru Select New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)
>
> All of these kits should be excellent. Which is best??? Don't know
> haven't done 'em all.
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

What's the diff between the Vineco Founders Series and the Showcase?
Is the FS supposed to be "super-premium"? Haven't seen that one
mentioned before I don't think.

Pp

On Feb 14, 10:11 pm, Steve > wrote:
> Sorry this part duplicate - did something dumb, and sent message
> before I was finished
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:07:30 -0600, arrassa <arrassa> wrote:
> >Any feedback pro or con appreciated. thanks

> Vineco's Ken Ridge Founders Series New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre
> 6-week)
> Vineco's Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)
>
> Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
> (16 litre 6-week)
>
> Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)
> Spagnols Cru Select New Zealand Sauv Blanc (16 litre 6-week)
>
> All of these kits should be excellent. Which is best??? Don't know
> haven't done 'em all.
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Steve" > wrote in message

> Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Overpriced crap. Not a hint of NZSB character. Flabby, lifeless, and at the
time I bought one, the strangest colour I've ever seen in a wine. A weird
orangey colour in carboy. Not just my opinion, everyone in my wine club was
suitably unimpressed by this offering.

> Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)

Excellent, on a par with a good commercial wine.

Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Brian:

Orangey? Oxidized? Did you check the batch date of the kit?

Steve

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:41:43 -0600, "Brian Lundeen" >
wrote:

>"Steve" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

>Overpriced crap. Not a hint of NZSB character. Flabby, lifeless, and at the
>time I bought one, the strangest colour I've ever seen in a wine. A weird
>orangey colour in carboy. Not just my opinion, everyone in my wine club was
>suitably unimpressed by this offering.
>

>> Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)

>Excellent, on a par with a good commercial wine.
>
>Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The Founders Series was added above Showcase as Vineco's top of the
line maybe 18 months ago. The NZ SB was not part of the initial
release, but added maybe 10 months ago. (Sorry too lazy to look up
better dates.)

More recently two grape skin kits were added to the FS line called
Harvest Crush. Varieties currently avail (more details on their
web-site)...

German Riesling
New Zealand Sauv Blanc
Australian Cab/Shiraz
Italian SuperTuscan
French Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre (Crush)
Italian Brunello (Crush)

Steve

On 15 Feb 2007 10:17:24 -0800, "pp" > wrote:

>What's the diff between the Vineco Founders Series and the Showcase?
>Is the FS supposed to be "super-premium"? Haven't seen that one
>mentioned before I don't think.
>
>Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Orangey? Oxidized? Did you check the batch date of the kit?

Sounds oxidized to me too, I had a Pinot Gris that looked like that
from Presque Isle and it never got better, only worse.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I made that kit.. and it came out drinkable. It's been cellared for 7
mo now and I keep thinking time will help it get better. The color
isn't bad on mine, just way too dark gold for any Sauv Blanc let alone
a Marlborough. More like a Rombauer Chardonay in color.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Interesting. I haven't done these - actually I haven't done a
Winexpert kit yet, but I've had a strange colour experience with
pretty much all Spagnol's white kits that I've made (3-4). These
weren't out of date or oxidized, just came out much darker than
expected - medium to deep gold, even for a Riesling/Gewurz blend.

The WE NZ SB kit did very well in the Winemaker mag competition,
better than the Spagnol's En Primeur so that would also suggest your
kit was an anomaly and you should ask them for a replacement.

Pp

On Feb 15, 7:41 pm, "Brian Lundeen" > wrote:
> "Steve" > wrote in message

> > Winexpert's Selection Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

> Overpriced crap. Not a hint of NZSB character. Flabby, lifeless, and at the
> time I bought one, the strangest colour I've ever seen in a wine. A weird
> orangey colour in carboy. Not just my opinion, everyone in my wine club was
> suitably unimpressed by this offering.
>

> > Spagnols En Primeur New Zealand Sauv Blanc (18 litre 6-week)

> Excellent, on a par with a good commercial wine.
>
> Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Rob Rob is offline

On Feb 15, 1:46 am, "Olwen Williams" >
wrote:
> Me, I'd skip the kits and drive down the road to buy wine at the
> vineyard, but then I suffer from the disadvantage of living in
> Marlborough :-(

How do you make it through the day with suffering like that. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"pp" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Interesting. I haven't done these - actually I haven't done a
> Winexpert kit yet, but I've had a strange colour experience with
> pretty much all Spagnol's white kits that I've made (3-4). These
> weren't out of date or oxidized, just came out much darker than
> expected - medium to deep gold, even for a Riesling/Gewurz blend.
>
> The WE NZ SB kit did very well in the Winemaker mag competition,
> better than the Spagnol's En Primeur so that would also suggest your
> kit was an anomaly and you should ask them for a replacement.

No anomaly, and not oxidized. Winexpert acknowledged that there was a colour
issue with this product. I think they explained it vaguely as an enzymatic
problem. I could have lived with the colour if it had displayed good NZSB
character, but it didn't. Not in my effort, and not in a bottle made by a WE
retailer. I don't put a lot of stock in any competition results. There are
so many factors that can influence how well an entry does that have nothing
to do with the absolute quality of the entry. The WE kit obviously has its
fans, but I'm not one of them.

Brian

Sauvignon blanc Daisy Wine 21 08-02-2006 11:01 AM
More Sauvignon Blanc questions Dan Emerson Winemaking 0 30-12-2004 08:04 PM
sauvignon blanc Dan Emerson Winemaking 2 21-12-2004 03:47 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Pinky Winemaking 3 30-07-2004 07:11 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Rob M Winemaking 5 30-07-2004 07:11 AM