Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Apple Cider

We started our first batch of apple cider back in November - we just put the
juice in a carboy and let it perk away... our house gets down to about 62
degrees at night, 70 in the day. It's still perking away - slowly as it's
cool. Any idea just how long we'll be watching this?? And how does apple
cider taste?

TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Cathy - I made apple/pear cider this fall. One of the members of the KC
Cellarmaster winemaking club has a crusher and we all brought fruit and took
home jucie. I used White Labs English Cider yeast and it took about 5 weeks
for complete fermentation...had to stop a spontaneous malo-lactic
fermentation with Lysozyme. Mine tastes a lot like commercial examples.
Pick up some cans of cider and this will give you an idea of what to expect.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Cathy Boer" > wrote in message
> We started our first batch of apple cider back in November - we just put
> the juice in a carboy and let it perk away... our house gets down to
> about 62 degrees at night, 70 in the day. It's still perking away -
> slowly as it's cool. Any idea just how long we'll be watching this?? And
> how does apple cider taste?
>
> TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of styles of hard cider. They are all
idfferent. Could not guess what yours will taste like. Did you increase
the sugar to make it into a wine style or did you just ferment the sugar
that was there. Are you planning on a sparking style or flat. You might
sweeten it or drink it dry.

But, that is a long time to ferment. Apple usually goes pretty quick. You
might give us a bit more information. It might need some nutrient or it may
need to be warmed up a bit to let it take off.

Ray

"Cathy Boer" > wrote in message
> We started our first batch of apple cider back in November - we just put
> the juice in a carboy and let it perk away... our house gets down to
> about 62 degrees at night, 70 in the day. It's still perking away -
> slowly as it's cool. Any idea just how long we'll be watching this?? And
> how does apple cider taste?
>
> TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:25:53 +0000, Cathy Boer wrote:

> We started our first batch of apple cider back in November - we just put the
> juice in a carboy and let it perk away... our house gets down to about 62
> degrees at night, 70 in the day. It's still perking away - slowly as it's
> cool. Any idea just how long we'll be watching this?? And how does apple
> cider taste?
>
> TIA

I once had an Apple cider that fermented for about 4 months.

It went from alcoholic to malo-lactic fermentation.
Apple has a lot of apple-acid (duh !!!) so there is the reason
why malo latic can occur.

Did you use sulphite ???
Did you measure the SG ???
If the SG is below 1000 than you might have malo-lactic going on
and adding a bit extra sulphite will stop this fermentation.

Luc

Apple cider? TimW General Cooking 55 20-05-2017 02:27 PM
Apple cider vs. apple juice -- what's the difference? [email protected] General Cooking 0 06-10-2015 02:20 PM
Cider-Roasted Turkey with Bacon-Apple Cider Gravy Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2007 01:51 AM
Apple Cider Pie [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-10-2006 04:37 PM
Hot Apple Cider Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-10-2005 08:37 PM