Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Corking causes "Cork Foreskins"

There's a dimpling of the corks (using a hand corker) that looks in a
way that I can only describe as a foreskin. If I take a sharp knife
and cut this off, am I doing any harm?

I plan on shrinkwrapping the gifts, so it's not a huge deal, just
annoying.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Set up your corker so it drives the cork about 1/8" below the top of
the bottle neck. That will eliminate the foreskin problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Cool, thanks.

How about "circumsizing" the bottles now. Will that pose a problem?
wrote:
> Set up your corker so it drives the cork about 1/8" below the top of
> the bottle neck. That will eliminate the foreskin problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

And wet the cork after inserting; I always wash the bottles before
labeling.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

We've had the same problem with occaisional bottles. We designate the
corker/capper to be the bottle moihel (sp?) as well. A utility knife held
flush onto to bottle top works well for us. Shrink-capsules cover the
surgery & no recipients has ever even mentioned it. It hasn't affected
storage either.

"Ronin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> There's a dimpling of the corks (using a hand corker) that looks in a
> way that I can only describe as a foreskin. If I take a sharp knife
> and cut this off, am I doing any harm?
>
> I plan on shrinkwrapping the gifts, so it's not a huge deal, just
> annoying.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> We've had the same problem with occaisional bottles. We designate the
> corker/capper to be the bottle moihel (sp?) as well. A utility knife held
> flush onto to bottle top works well for us.

With natural corks I used a 7/16" socket to press in that last little
bit when I had corks not seat all the way, anything that fits in the
neck of the bottle would work. You have to do it immediately if you
try this. It might be easier than trimming.

Joe