Posted to japan.sake,alt.food.sushi,rec.crafts.winemaking,soc.culture.japan

Default Sake Guide

hello,

ive recently compiled a Sake Guide that i think people might find
useful. i read and talked to a few sake experts & websites, and put it
into one web page, and one easy-to-use PDF for printing (i bring it to
the store w/ me). its he

http://www.sushi-review.com/Guides/sake.aspx

....the site is something i put together. im not a sake or sushi
professional, just a guy w/ an interest. if you like it, great! if not,
just dont blast me for trying on my own dime.

i have a few other guides on there too. Sushi-Review.com is a
user-powered global directory that lets you can write your own reviews
for sushi joints in your area, rank them, etc. (if it runs a little
slow, thank DataPacket.net, my lame hosting company. gonna move it
soon)

matt

--
http://www.sushi-review.com
http://www.sushi-review.com/Guides/

Posted to japan.sake,alt.food.sushi,rec.crafts.winemaking,soc.culture.japan

On 2006-11-21 09:38:10 -0800, said:

> ive recently compiled a Sake Guide that i think people might find
> useful. i read and talked to a few sake experts & websites, and put it
> into one web page, and one easy-to-use PDF for printing (i bring it to
> the store w/ me). its he

http://www.sushi-review.com/Guides/sake.aspx

> ...the site is something i put together. im not a sake or sushi
> professional, just a guy w/ an interest. if you like it, great! if not,
> just dont blast me for trying on my own dime.

BLAST YOU! How DARE you put up something that can be disagreed with by
aimless passers-by, and so on and so forth.

By the way, you oughta check out Guantner-sama's site:

http://www.sakeonline.com

They have a monthly letter, opportunities to actually buy the stuff and so on.

Just got back from Japan and actually got to play a formal game of
Niigata vs Iwate.

I had heard that Niigata and Morioka as the respective capitals of
these two prefectures had long had a rivalry over whose sake is better.
Niigata says it's all about water, and theirs is the best. Iwate says
it more about rice and theirs is better. Maybe I have the components
switched. Apparently nobody is touting themselves as the koji masters,
I don't know.

Anyway, two years ago in Morioka I kept saying, "I hear Niigata's sakes
are really good, you have any of that?" At which point that would
bring out their best Iwate-ken sake so I could check how superior
theirs was to that crap from Niigata. The sake was unbelievable by the
way. I've never been to Niigata but intend to try the ruse there.

So last week I'm in a joint in Shinjuku and have been introduced to a
guy and when he says he's from Niigata (actually a mountain town
nearby--even better), I realize I'm sitting with two sake-drinkers
countrmen from opposing sides! So I throw out the wedge issue and sure
enough they are on it like white on highly-polished rice!

So I managed to try at least 4 killer sakes while they snorted about
clarity and maturity and "seriousness" and such. Eventually it
disintegrated into carping that the sake wasn't the issue, it was a
matter of what the sake bar had--not enough--that made the gambit a
draw. If only the GOOD stuff from their respective prefectures had
been stocked then the obvious winner could be named.

The only ones I remember off the top of my head (I think I have others
scribbled down that we didn't try) is Hakai-san from Niigata and Nanbu
Bigin from Morioka. These are apparently more easily acquired. Both
are fabulous.

Some fun.
--
What a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in.

Posted to japan.sake,alt.food.sushi,rec.crafts.winemaking,soc.culture.japan

Gerry wrote:
> BLAST YOU! How DARE you put up something that can be disagreed with by
> aimless passers-by, and so on and so forth.

hah...but you must know i wouldnt put that there if it hadnt been done
already -- when i was dong the graphics for the site i popped into a
japanese language group, and they began firing the torpedoes on my
little project... harping on (initially) incorrect symbols, critizing
my copy style, etc.. and they werent even in japan -- scholars, go
figure!

> By the way, you oughta check out Guantner-sama's site:
> http://www.sakeonline.com

is that the url? looks like a domain-camper page.

> So last week I'm in a joint in Shinjuku and have been introduced to a
> guy and when he says he's from Niigata (actually a mountain town
> nearby--even better), I realize I'm sitting with two sake-drinkers
> countrmen from opposing sides!

excellent!!

> If only the GOOD stuff from their respective prefectures had
> been stocked then the obvious winner could be named.

of course! the bottles that got away... thats an amazing story, wish i
coulda seen them square off.

> Hakai-san from Niigata and Nanbu Bigin from Morioka
> Both are fabulous.

thanks for the tip. heres a write up on the nanbu folks:
http://www.esake.com/Brewers/NanbuBi...nbubijinb.html

might Hakai-san be the same as Hakkaisan? quite a bit online.

matt

Posted to japan.sake,alt.food.sushi,rec.crafts.winemaking,soc.culture.japan

On 2006-11-21 16:18:34 -0800, said:

> Gerry wrote:
>> BLAST YOU! How DARE you put up something that can be disagreed with by
>> aimless passers-by, and so on and so forth.

> hah...but you must know i wouldnt put that there if it hadnt been done
> already -- when i was dong the graphics for the site i popped into a
> japanese language group, and they began firing the torpedoes on my
> little project... harping on (initially) incorrect symbols, critizing
> my copy style, etc.. and they werent even in japan -- scholars, go
> figure!
>
>> By the way, you oughta check out Guantner-sama's site:

http://www.sakeonline.com

> is that the url? looks like a domain-camper page.

No, no no. Totally confused. Here it is:

http://www.sake-world.com is Guantner's with a monthly newsletter for
subscribers.

http://www.truesake.com is the one that also offers for sale.

>> So last week I'm in a joint in Shinjuku and have been introduced to a
>> guy and when he says he's from Niigata (actually a mountain town
>> nearby--even better), I realize I'm sitting with two sake-drinkers
>> countrmen from opposing sides!

> excellent!!
>
>> If only the GOOD stuff from their respective prefectures had
>> been stocked then the obvious winner could be named.

> of course! the bottles that got away... thats an amazing story, wish i
> coulda seen them square off.
>

>> Hakai-san from Niigata and Nanbu Bigin from Morioka
>> Both are fabulous.

> thanks for the tip. heres a write up on the nanbu folks:
> http://www.esake.com/Brewers/NanbuBi...nbubijinb.html
>
> might Hakai-san be the same as Hakkaisan? quite a bit online.

I'm sure that's true. I didn't see a spelling for it. And I actualy
misspelled what I thought was the other. I thought it was actually
Nambu Bijin. Whatever: close enough for a sake head.
--
What a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in.

Sake World Sake Newsletter, December, 2006 Gerry Sushi 0 06-12-2006 01:27 AM
Sake Guide [email protected] Sushi 3 22-11-2006 08:26 AM
Guide Du Fromage cheese guide FA JaneyP General Cooking 0 29-01-2006 02:53 AM
Sake Roy Boy Winemaking 13 04-11-2005 06:41 PM
Sake? Brian Winemaking 2 25-07-2004 09:50 PM