Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default growing grapes

I have been making beer for about 3 years but wine is a new adventure
for me. I am considering growing grapes in my back yard in order to
make small quantities of wine every year. I'd like to run my idea by
this crowd of experienced wine makers and make sure my plan is valid
and get some good advice.

My plan is to place 3 Zinfandal plants at 6ft spacing next to my fence.
My understanding is that I will need to train it up to my desired
height and then allow it to branch out along the fence.

I am also considering 3 more plants to grow up the posts of my porch to
form an overhang. I saw this at a winery this weekend and it was very
attractive.

So I'm wondering if this plan sounds workable, if I will need some type
of netting to keep birds off, what time of year to plant and where to
get the plants themselves. I am sure there are many issues I am not
thinking of. I appreciate any advice I can get from this group.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have been making beer for about 3 years but wine is a new adventure
> for me. I am considering growing grapes in my back yard in order to
> make small quantities of wine every year. I'd like to run my idea by
> this crowd of experienced wine makers and make sure my plan is valid
> and get some good advice.
>
> My plan is to place 3 Zinfandal plants at 6ft spacing next to my fence.
> My understanding is that I will need to train it up to my desired
> height and then allow it to branch out along the fence.
>
> I am also considering 3 more plants to grow up the posts of my porch to
> form an overhang. I saw this at a winery this weekend and it was very
> attractive.
>
> So I'm wondering if this plan sounds workable, if I will need some type
> of netting to keep birds off, what time of year to plant and where to
> get the plants themselves. I am sure there are many issues I am not
> thinking of. I appreciate any advice I can get from this group.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Sure, your plan will work.
You will need bird netting after the grapes go into verasion - start turning
color
I don't know where you live but you can do an internet search for nurseries
that sell what you are looking for or call your county agriculture
department.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Some things to consider;
* A mature (which is many years away!) plant will likely yield 8 to 10
pounds of fruit - depending on how you trellis, prune, vine maturity,
climate,etc. It takes about 15 pounds to yield a gallon of finished wine. (6
to 7 gallons per 100 pounds of fruit). If you only have a few plants, your
biggest problem may be producing enough fruit to produce a manageable
quantitiy of wine. 6 vines will likely produce fruit for about 3 gallons;
personally, I find small quantities like that harder to work with. Do you
have room for another 6 vines?

* Where are you located? Here in northern california there are numerous
quality vine (grafted field plantings) sources - but the smallest lots they
sell are usually bundles of 25. For small quantities like yours, I suggest
two strategies; 1. local nursery. But be REAL careful about source - and
ensure that the vines have been cleared by your County Ag department. 2. Go
get cuttings from existing vines and 'grow your own'.

* You'll likely plant in the spring - after frosts, but before bud break.
Around these parts, that usually means early March.

* Plan on 3 years before you can take fruit with grafted field plants; 4
years on self started cuttings.

Last - be prepared for an obsession. I started with the idea of "a few
vines". I now have around 200 amongst three different varietals!

good luck -

>I have been making beer for about 3 years but wine is a new adventure
> for me. I am considering growing grapes in my back yard in order to
> make small quantities of wine every year. I'd like to run my idea by
> this crowd of experienced wine makers and make sure my plan is valid
> and get some good advice.
>
> My plan is to place 3 Zinfandal plants at 6ft spacing next to my fence.
> My understanding is that I will need to train it up to my desired
> height and then allow it to branch out along the fence.
>
> I am also considering 3 more plants to grow up the posts of my porch to
> form an overhang. I saw this at a winery this weekend and it was very
> attractive.
>
> So I'm wondering if this plan sounds workable, if I will need some type
> of netting to keep birds off, what time of year to plant and where to
> get the plants themselves. I am sure there are many issues I am not
> thinking of. I appreciate any advice I can get from this group.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Last - be prepared for an obsession. I started with the idea of "a few
> vines". I now have around 200 amongst three different varietals!

Did I read that right? 200 plants? You must have some land. *blush*
(with envy) -- that's my dream too. Right now, it's all about getting
professional grapes from local vineyards..

Cheers,

David