Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Wonder Wine kit - Anyone try these?

http://www.wonderwine.com/Default.aspx?PageName=Home

While wondering around the internet, I found this 1 gallon wine kit.
Anyone try these before? At $3.25 for a gallon, it's a little more than
a 6 gallon kit, but wondered if this was real poor quality, or
interesting. smile.

--
DAve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I've actually made several (just bottled a 3 gallon batch of the
Loganberry and a 3 gallon batch of Peach). I usually do them fairly
sweet and most people have really enjoyed them. If you're looking for
something on the sweet side, they're pretty easy. Just mix them up and
let them bubble away. Just make sure they've finished. I made a 1
gallon Peach a little over a year ago and ended up with Peach Champagne!

Todd

Dave Allison > wrote in news:9cFMg.1114
:

> http://www.wonderwine.com/Default.aspx?PageName=Home
>
> While wondering around the internet, I found this 1 gallon wine kit.
> Anyone try these before? At $3.25 for a gallon, it's a little more than
> a 6 gallon kit, but wondered if this was real poor quality, or
> interesting. smile.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Good to know, thanks for the info. A question, what is actually in the
kit? Is this like powder or juice? The website doesn't tell much of what
is in the $3.25 kit.

I assume you used 3 kits to make 3 gallons. I've never had Loganberry,
so think I may start there, though Peach sounds like I'd be a hit with
my "sweet lovin" friends.

--
DAve

Todd Talsma wrote:
> I've actually made several (just bottled a 3 gallon batch of the
> Loganberry and a 3 gallon batch of Peach). I usually do them fairly
> sweet and most people have really enjoyed them. If you're looking for
> something on the sweet side, they're pretty easy. Just mix them up and
> let them bubble away. Just make sure they've finished. I made a 1
> gallon Peach a little over a year ago and ended up with Peach Champagne!
>
> Todd
>
> Dave Allison > wrote in news:9cFMg.1114
> :
>
>> http://www.wonderwine.com/Default.aspx?PageName=Home
>>
>> While wondering around the internet, I found this 1 gallon wine kit.
>> Anyone try these before? At $3.25 for a gallon, it's a little more than
>> a 6 gallon kit, but wondered if this was real poor quality, or
>> interesting. smile.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dave Allison > wrote:

>http://www.wonderwine.com/Default.aspx?PageName=Home
>
>While wondering around the internet, I found this 1 gallon wine kit.
>Anyone try these before? At $3.25 for a gallon, it's a little more than
>a 6 gallon kit, but wondered if this was real poor quality, or
>interesting. smile.

Actually, the name is really a contraction. The full name is
WONDER(why they call this)WINE.

Ross
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dave,

The kit contains everything you need except sugar and water. It's a dry
kit and you disolve the flavor and the sugar in warm water, put it in
your carboy, add cool water and then pitch the yeast (included in the
kit). These kits are a little different than the juice kits that I've
done. You just let them keep bubbling until they stop. The
instructions give you general guidelines as to how much sugar to add for
the ending batch of wine to come out dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet or sweet.
You don't check SG to determine if the wine is finished. You just let
it bubble away. The first batches that I did, I did the most sweet that
I could. We like sweet wines and they turned out a little too sweet. I
backed off a little and these last 2 batches were pretty good. The kit
has a packet of "fermentation stopper" (I can't remember exactly what it
is) and a clarifier. My wife likes to call these the "Koolaid Wine"
batches! ;^)

Like I said before, I just finished up a 3 gallon batch of Loganberry &
Peach. When I added the clarifier, I used a stirrer in my portable
drill and it worked great! Cleared the wine better than ever! I'm
going to be starting another 3 gallon batch of the Loganberry and a 3
gallon batch of the Cherry shortly.

Oh, you're correct about using 1 kit per gallon, so if you want to make
a 3 gallon batch, get 3 kits!

Todd

Dave Allison > wrote in
:

> Good to know, thanks for the info. A question, what is actually in the
> kit? Is this like powder or juice? The website doesn't tell much of
> what is in the $3.25 kit.
>
> I assume you used 3 kits to make 3 gallons. I've never had Loganberry,
> so think I may start there, though Peach sounds like I'd be a hit with
> my "sweet lovin" friends.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

haha. THAT'S what I was thinking, but hey, innovative wines could
surface at any time. I just hope they don't put wines into a pill, just
take two with water and wake up in the morning. hahaha.

I'm trying this powder wine, just for the experience to say I did them.
smile. I have daughters in their 20's that like sweet wines, so if i
don't like it, they will probably take it off my hands. smile.

--
DAve
p.s. powder wine kits sure are less expensive to ship since they weigh

wrote:
> Dave Allison > wrote:

http://www.wonderwine.com/Default.aspx?PageName=Home

>> While wondering around the internet, I found this 1 gallon wine kit.
>> Anyone try these before? At $3.25 for a gallon, it's a little more than
>> a 6 gallon kit, but wondered if this was real poor quality, or
>> interesting. smile.

> Actually, the name is really a contraction. The full name is
> WONDER(why they call this)WINE.
>
> Ross

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for. This really helps.
I'm trying them, just for the experience and uniqueness of it.

--
DAve

Todd Talsma wrote:
> Dave,
>
> The kit contains everything you need except sugar and water. It's a dry
> kit and you disolve the flavor and the sugar in warm water, put it in
> your carboy, add cool water and then pitch the yeast (included in the
> kit). These kits are a little different than the juice kits that I've
> done. You just let them keep bubbling until they stop. The
> instructions give you general guidelines as to how much sugar to add for
> the ending batch of wine to come out dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet or sweet.
> You don't check SG to determine if the wine is finished. You just let
> it bubble away. The first batches that I did, I did the most sweet that
> I could. We like sweet wines and they turned out a little too sweet. I
> backed off a little and these last 2 batches were pretty good. The kit
> has a packet of "fermentation stopper" (I can't remember exactly what it
> is) and a clarifier. My wife likes to call these the "Koolaid Wine"
> batches! ;^)
>
> Like I said before, I just finished up a 3 gallon batch of Loganberry &
> Peach. When I added the clarifier, I used a stirrer in my portable
> drill and it worked great! Cleared the wine better than ever! I'm
> going to be starting another 3 gallon batch of the Loganberry and a 3
> gallon batch of the Cherry shortly.
>
> Oh, you're correct about using 1 kit per gallon, so if you want to make
> a 3 gallon batch, get 3 kits!
>
> Todd
>

> Dave Allison > wrote in
> :
>
>> Good to know, thanks for the info. A question, what is actually in the
>> kit? Is this like powder or juice? The website doesn't tell much of
>> what is in the $3.25 kit.
>>
>> I assume you used 3 kits to make 3 gallons. I've never had Loganberry,
>> so think I may start there, though Peach sounds like I'd be a hit with
>> my "sweet lovin" friends.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I'd kinda like to find out why Ross doesn't think these would make wine.
I'd hope he would have tried them.

We were just at a local wine festival this weekend. The peach wine that
you can make from these WonderWine kits is close to a "Peach & Honey"
wine that one of the wineries makes!

Don't knock them till you try them. If you can make fermented water,
well.... Of course, we're not fermenting the water, now are we?

Todd

Dave Allison > wrote in news:5fiNg.2146
:

> haha. THAT'S what I was thinking, but hey, innovative wines could
> surface at any time. I just hope they don't put wines into a pill, just
> take two with water and wake up in the morning. hahaha.
>
> I'm trying this powder wine, just for the experience to say I did them.
> smile. I have daughters in their 20's that like sweet wines, so if i
> don't like it, they will probably take it off my hands. smile.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hmmm I wonder if you can use MRE's surplus stores to get the same results.
LOL

Walter

--
The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. This explains why some
people appear to be bright until they open their mouth.

"Todd Talsma" > wrote in message
> I'd kinda like to find out why Ross doesn't think these would make wine.
> I'd hope he would have tried them.
>
> We were just at a local wine festival this weekend. The peach wine that
> you can make from these WonderWine kits is close to a "Peach & Honey"
> wine that one of the wineries makes!
>
> Don't knock them till you try them. If you can make fermented water,
> well.... Of course, we're not fermenting the water, now are we?
>
> Todd
>

> Dave Allison > wrote in news:5fiNg.2146
> :
>
> > haha. THAT'S what I was thinking, but hey, innovative wines could
> > surface at any time. I just hope they don't put wines into a pill, just
> > take two with water and wake up in the morning. hahaha.
> >
> > I'm trying this powder wine, just for the experience to say I did them.
> > smile. I have daughters in their 20's that like sweet wines, so if i
> > don't like it, they will probably take it off my hands. smile.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

For anyone that cares, I've decided to try the "Kool-aid" wine mentioned
above. Just an experiment.

I received the kits today - 2 Loganberry, 2 Cherry, and 2 Peach.
The kit has a yeast package, a clearing package, and a larger "kool-aid"
type packet that made a VERY deep color and flavor Loganberry (wow, dark
and smells great).

I followed the instructions for a gallon jug - 5 cups warm/hot water,
4-5 1/2 cups of sugar (I used 5), mix, add 5 cups cool water. mix.
Activate yeast, add to mash. In an hour put into a gallon carboy.

I will update as this unfolds. My first impression - it is kool-aid
wine, I will probably give to my adult daughters (27-30). But who knows
until you try. smile.

--
DAve

p.s. I just started a Papaya (3 large ones) recipe from Jack Keller's
website, so you can tell I like to experiment. I added 4 banana's and a
cup of white raisins to the recipe to up the smoothness.

Dave Allison wrote:
> http://www.wonderwine.com/Default.aspx?PageName=Home
>
> While wondering around the internet, I found this 1 gallon wine kit.
> Anyone try these before? At $3.25 for a gallon, it's a little more than
> a 6 gallon kit, but wondered if this was real poor quality, or
> interesting. smile.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Update:
WonderWine - as I outlined, this is a $2.75 kit of powder, yeast and
stabilizing packets . The Loganberry, Cherry and Peach are all perking
just fine. I am only 2 weeks into the 6+ weeks of fermenting, so it's
bubbling just fine. I had to put on a heating pad (as instructed) to
keep the temperature up as it is now getting into fall here.

I am almost embarrassed to tell folks I'm making this. But it is an
experiment. I have 1 gallon of each going. Good thing I live in North
Carolina, where sweet cheap wine is the mainstay for many. Oh, that was
mean.

DAve
p.s. I just bottled a Chardonnay that is so deep in gold, I'm not sure
it will straighten out! For Christmas, did a Cranberry-Shiraz kit and a
Mango Citrus Symphony kit -- for gifts.

Dave Allison wrote:
> For anyone that cares, I've decided to try the "Kool-aid" wine mentioned
> above. Just an experiment.
>
> I received the kits today - 2 Loganberry, 2 Cherry, and 2 Peach.
> The kit has a yeast package, a clearing package, and a larger "kool-aid"
> type packet that made a VERY deep color and flavor Loganberry (wow, dark
> and smells great).
>
> I followed the instructions for a gallon jug - 5 cups warm/hot water,
> 4-5 1/2 cups of sugar (I used 5), mix, add 5 cups cool water. mix.
> Activate yeast, add to mash. In an hour put into a gallon carboy.
>
> I will update as this unfolds. My first impression - it is kool-aid
> wine, I will probably give to my adult daughters (27-30). But who knows
> until you try. smile.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

OK. I have finished three of these wines and wanted to report back.
At $3.25 a gallon for the instant mix - ya get what you pay for. smile.

I used the max sugar in the recipes, so maybe I went down there. But
this makes really good moon-shine. If you cut it 50% with Sauv.Blanc or
Seltzer water - it's ok. The Loganberry is best with 40% seltzer. The
cherry is best with 50% Sauv. Blanc, and the Peach, well, it will burn
the hair in your nose. Blended it's ok, but not sure looking at my Pinot
Noir or Syrah, or Pinot Grigio - why I'm drinking this "OK" wine.

My wife called it "Kool-Aid" wine. Guess it is. It is genius concept and
maybe I'll try it again with less sugar to bring it down a notch. I am
saving a bottle of each to see what it is like in a year. :*)

back to real wine kits,
DAve

p.s. I will try cooking with it next - maybe a flaming moose.

Dave Allison wrote:
> http://www.wonderwine.com/Default.aspx?PageName=Home
>
> While wondering around the internet, I found this 1 gallon wine kit.
> Anyone try these before? At $3.25 for a gallon, it's a little more than
> a 6 gallon kit, but wondered if this was real poor quality, or
> interesting. smile.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> I used the max sugar in the recipes, so maybe I went down there. But
> this makes really good moon-shine. If you cut it 50% with Sauv.Blanc or
> Seltzer water - it's ok. The Loganberry is best with 40% seltzer. The
> cherry is best with 50% Sauv. Blanc, and the Peach, well, it will burn
> the hair in your nose. Blended it's ok, but not sure looking at my Pinot
> Noir or Syrah, or Pinot Grigio - why I'm drinking this "OK" wine.

Dave,
Thanks for the updates. I had some loganberry juice at IKEA and
thought it might make a good wine; never heard of it before that. My
daughters also like sweeter wines so I do the same things for them.

Not sure I'm going to repeat your experiment though because I live up
north where juice is cheap. I'm pretty sure a gollon of Niagara is
around $4.50 at Walkers in NY. Now it's 150 miles away so I have to
have a good reason to do that; like Traminette...

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I would like to find a source of juice in North Carolina. Guess I'll
have to ask and search around. Good idea. thanks.
DAve

Joe Sallustio wrote:
>> I used the max sugar in the recipes, so maybe I went down there. But
>> this makes really good moon-shine. If you cut it 50% with Sauv.Blanc or
>> Seltzer water - it's ok. The Loganberry is best with 40% seltzer. The
>> cherry is best with 50% Sauv. Blanc, and the Peach, well, it will burn
>> the hair in your nose. Blended it's ok, but not sure looking at my Pinot
>> Noir or Syrah, or Pinot Grigio - why I'm drinking this "OK" wine.
>>

> Dave,
> Thanks for the updates. I had some loganberry juice at IKEA and
> thought it might make a good wine; never heard of it before that. My
> daughters also like sweeter wines so I do the same things for them.
>
> Not sure I'm going to repeat your experiment though because I live up
> north where juice is cheap. I'm pretty sure a gollon of Niagara is
> around $4.50 at Walkers in NY. Now it's 150 miles away so I have to
> have a good reason to do that; like Traminette...
>
> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Making cheap drinkable wine is a fun sideline while making good wine that is
not so cheap. Sometimes it even works out. I have made 4 batchs of Welch's
white wine using frozen concentrate. It makes about as cheap of a wine as
you could home for. Less than $1.00 per bottle. Friends are amazed when
they learn it is Welch's. I think I have made 4 batchs now. 2 were very
nice and I was actually proud of them. 2 were so-so but when blended with
some average fruit wines and meads the end procuct was very nice.
Definately better than the starting wines.

Good luck with all experiments.

Ray

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allison View Post
making wine at home at a reasonable price

While wondering around the internet, I found this 1 gallon wine kit.
Anyone try these before? At $3.25 for a gallon, it's a little more than
a 6 gallon kit, but wondered if this was real poor quality, or
interesting. smile.

--
DAve
I have tried them all and always had a great batch of wine. I tested my last Cherry wine at 10% alcohol. I use all of the time. I buy mine on ebay.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Used to make this when I was younger looking for it now can find it . You couldn't give me a link

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/winemaki...hese-8351-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

were do i by a kit for wonder wine

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/winemaki...hese-8351-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The cherry was my favorite. It's even pretty to look at thru the glass. The more you drink, the prettier it gets. 😜

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/winemaki...hese-8351-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Bob Bob is offline

Did you ever find out where to purchase wonder wine kits

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/winemaki...hese-8351-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Where can you buy these kits thank you for the information!!

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/winemaki...hese-8351-.htm