FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   What's the San Francisco Bay Delta like (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/100060-whats-san-francisco-bay.html)

Marty Phee 31-08-2006 06:16 PM

What's the San Francisco Bay Delta like

I'm deciding where to buy from this year and the local guy has this for
his whites. I'm trying to decide between Brehm and him. Quality is my
first concern. I'm not going to go over board this year with my
purchases... ;-)

https://shop.bev-art.com/categoryNav...?categoryId=83

Pinot Gris, also known as Pinot Grigio is the fastest growing wine in
popualrity. From the SanFrancisco Bay Delta Rergion the cool nights
produce a clean crisp Pinot Gris. This wine matures fast for early drinking

Bob Becker 31-08-2006 10:14 PM

What's the San Francisco Bay Delta like

The Delta is a great alluvial plain which has some of the richest
farmland in the country. Interesting history - look it up.
I certainly don't remember any grapes being grown there.
Pears, walnuts, safflower, asparagas, lots of your common
beans and veggies, maybe some rice occasionally, and lots of tomatos, but
grapes?

gene 01-09-2006 04:28 AM

Bob Becker wrote:

> The Delta is a great alluvial plain which has some of the richest
> farmland in the country. Interesting history - look it up.
> I certainly don't remember any grapes being grown there.
> Pears, walnuts, safflower, asparagas, lots of your common
> beans and veggies, maybe some rice occasionally, and lots of tomatos, but
> grapes?

That's interesting.... does that mean Lodi moved out of the Delta?

Gene

Rob 01-09-2006 06:09 AM

What's the San Francisco Bay Delta like

I always thought that the delta was a triangle that was approximately
Sacramento-Stockton-Benecia. Most of this area is actually islands
that are just above or below sea-level, protected by dikes (like
holland). They are very impressively fertile.

And thus I never thought of Lodi as the Delta - it would be just to the
east of it, actually on real dry land. And most of the Contra Costa
vineyards are just to the south of it, again on dry land, near Byron
and Antioch.

The winds blow there a lot, especially in the evenings through the
summer. These areas are cooler than the rest of the Sacramento/San
Joaquin valley because of this, but they're still going to be a lot
warmer than the Carneros district (the part of Napa/Sonoma that is
right against the north edge of the SF bay). And with the high
fertility and water table, these vines are probably never stressed.

Don't know what that means for quality winegrape growing, but I can
tell you that I used to drive through the area a lot and never saw a
grapevine.

Rob

Bob Becker 01-09-2006 05:25 PM

What's the San Francisco Bay Delta like

"gene" > wrote in message
et...
> Bob Becker wrote:
>
> That's interesting.... does that mean Lodi moved out of the Delta?

The Delts is called that because it's a triangle formed by Stockton,
Sacramento, and (roughly) Oakland.
Lodi is on the line between Sacramento and Stockton.
You can look it up.

gene 02-09-2006 09:16 PM

Bob Becker wrote:

> "gene" > wrote in message
> et...
>
>>Bob Becker wrote:
>>
>>That's interesting.... does that mean Lodi moved out of the Delta?

> The Delts is called that because it's a triangle formed by Stockton,
> Sacramento, and (roughly) Oakland.
> Lodi is on the line between Sacramento and Stockton.
> You can look it up.

I guess that living to the east of the islands, I was not exactly IN the
DELTA as you call it. But when the Mokolumne, Calaveras and San Joaquin
rivers overflowed their banks, we in Stockton and Lodi felt like we were
IN the DELTA. <grin>

I was born and raised in Stockton; got dusted with lots of DELTA peat
when they harvested the asparagus and in the late summer breezes; went
to San Joaquin DELTA Junior College.

Gene

Ray Calvert 06-09-2006 05:25 PM

What's the San Francisco Bay Delta like

Regardless of whether Lodi is in the Delta (which by my deffinition is it
not) I hear from my son out there that they have been harvesting grapes for
the last several weeks. That is much earier than normal. It is due to
dammage done by they heat they have had this year. He said they are even
having oak trees that are dieing from the heat.

Just what I have heard.

Ray

. com...