Posted to alt.food.wine

Default pls recommend a fruity red wine

We don't like wine but have to drink some red wine
for medicinal purposes. Can anyone recommend a
fruity (least bitter) variety?

Thanks,
H.K.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> We don't like wine but have to drink some red wine
> for medicinal purposes. Can anyone recommend a
> fruity (least bitter) variety?
>
> Thanks,
> H.K.

There are many possibilities. If you live near a Target
that sells wines pick up a box (!) of their "Red Wine," not only
is it soft and slightly sweet but will last a long time as you
can siphon off only a glass at a time without refrigeration
or spoilage worry. A couple of other suggestions:
Cline California Zinfandel, should be about $7-8 per bottle
Corbett Canyon Merlot
Yellow Tail Australian Shiraz
...let's see what others say

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

Try the following generic types:

GAMAY NOIR: Usually light and fruity. This wine is best enjoyed slightly
chilled with light meats, poultry and cheeses.

BERGAMAIS: A "bistro" wine in the style of Beaujolais, with explosive berry
flavours and a soft after taste. Serve lightly chilled with light meals.

You might also take a look at some of the fruit wines that are based on red
wines such as a cranberry shiraz or black cherry pinot noir. Your wine shop
should understand these styles and let you taste some samples (we hope).
Another thought might be to dilute a medium bodied wine such as merlot or
pinot noir, with some soda or tonic water.

Enjoy!

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> We don't like wine but have to drink some red wine
> for medicinal purposes. Can anyone recommend a
> fruity (least bitter) variety?
>
> Thanks,
> H.K.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Spyderwebb50 wrote:

> Try the following generic types:
>
> GAMAY NOIR: Usually light and fruity. This wine is best enjoyed slightly
> chilled with light meats, poultry and cheeses.
>
> BERGAMAIS: A "bistro" wine in the style of Beaujolais, with explosive berry
> flavours and a soft after taste. Serve lightly chilled with light meals.
>
> You might also take a look at some of the fruit wines that are based on red
> wines such as a cranberry shiraz or black cherry pinot noir. Your wine shop
> should understand these styles and let you taste some samples (we hope).
> Another thought might be to dilute a medium bodied wine such as merlot or
> pinot noir, with some soda or tonic water.
>
> Enjoy!
>

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > We don't like wine but have to drink some red wine
> > for medicinal purposes. Can anyone recommend a
> > fruity (least bitter) variety?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > H.K.

Absolutely out of the question. Dolcetto is the only choice. Nobody
doesn't like Dolcetto.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Nobody doesn't like Dolcetto.

So Dolcetto is made by Sarah Lee?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:

> Absolutely out of the question. Dolcetto is the only choice. Nobody
> doesn't like Dolcetto.

It's a good choice for those that don't really like wines such as the
OP. But I'm one of those that doesn't like it. At least here it's
always made sweet, doesn't age and lacks any complexity. It's a picnic
wine. I've never tried Dolcetto imports from Italy but tasting notes
suggest they're similar styles.

Posted to alt.food.wine

miles wrote:
> UC wrote:
>
> > Absolutely out of the question. Dolcetto is the only choice. Nobody
> > doesn't like Dolcetto.

> It's a good choice for those that don't really like wines such as the
> OP. But I'm one of those that doesn't like it. At least here it's
> always made sweet, doesn't age and lacks any complexity. It's a picnic
> wine. I've never tried Dolcetto imports from Italy but tasting notes
> suggest they're similar styles.

Actually, Dolcetto is not at all sweet. It's a dry wine with a very
appealing palate of flavors. Some can be quite complex (that DOC is
Dogliani) but DOC Alba and Asti are excellent, generally.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Jose wrote:
> > Nobody doesn't like Dolcetto.

> So Dolcetto is made by Sarah Lee?

I have never had anyone to whom I have served Dolcetto say anything but
good things about Dolcetto. It is an under-rated wine.

> Jose
> --
> The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:30:56 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>UC wrote:
> > Actually, Dolcetto is not at all sweet. It's a dry wine with a very
>> appealing palate of flavors. Some can be quite complex (that DOC is
>> Dogliani) but DOC Alba and Asti are excellent, generally.

>I agree, and underrated as you wrote... A friend started making Dolcetto
>in Dogliani 2 years ago (probably the worst year for wine in Piemonte in
>decades) and so far results are excellent. Cascina Corte is the name if
>you can find it.

All well and good, but the OP was seeking an "un-wine"--a sweetish,
fruity sort of beverage that might fill the health benefit square of
that recommended "glass of red wine" for those who don't really (or
yet,) like wine.

While I freely confess to having fallen into the language trap many
years ago and buying a Dolcetto d'Alba thinking I was going to get a
somewhat sweet wine--"dulce" was my thought--to knowingly offer
Dolcetto as a solution to the OP's query is unresponsive. Dolcetto is
sort of like Calif. Zinfandel but without the range or breadth or
intensity. Something like a Ridge "late picked" or "late harvest"
bottling might offer the somewhat sweet and very fruity desire, but
I'm sure the OP wouldn't want to pay the tariff.

If one had to fill the additional requirement that dealing with UC
always brings to the game--it must always be Italian and eaten with
appropriate local fare (because wine never ages, never improves with
aeration, and always must accompany food from wherever the wine was
grown)--I'd offer Lambrusco. Light, fruity, somewhat sweet. Of course,
cherry Kool-Aid is about the same and if you go with the sugar-free,
you won't rot your teeth.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > Actually, Dolcetto is not at all sweet. It's a dry wine with a very
> > appealing palate of flavors. Some can be quite complex (that DOC is
> > Dogliani) but DOC Alba and Asti are excellent, generally.

> I agree, and underrated as you wrote... A friend started making Dolcetto
> in Dogliani 2 years ago (probably the worst year for wine in Piemonte in
> decades) and so far results are excellent. Cascina Corte is the name if
> you can find it.

Dolcetto ripens fairly early in the season, so years that pose
difficulties for late-maturing varieties (such as Nebbiolo) are
generally not a problem for Dolcetto.

There are many producers of Dolcetto. I would suggest starting with
Alba or Asti DOC.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:30:56 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
> wrote:
>
> >UC wrote:
> > > Actually, Dolcetto is not at all sweet. It's a dry wine with a very
> >> appealing palate of flavors. Some can be quite complex (that DOC is
> >> Dogliani) but DOC Alba and Asti are excellent, generally.

> >I agree, and underrated as you wrote... A friend started making Dolcetto
> >in Dogliani 2 years ago (probably the worst year for wine in Piemonte in
> >decades) and so far results are excellent. Cascina Corte is the name if
> >you can find it.

> All well and good, but the OP was seeking an "un-wine"--a sweetish,
> fruity sort of beverage that might fill the health benefit square of
> that recommended "glass of red wine" for those who don't really (or
> yet,) like wine.

I did not read his post that way. Nor should one. A wine cooler would
suit, if that were the case. Doilcetto is an excellent choice for
someone with little experience with wine. It is not, however, a slight
on the wine to say that. Some Dolcetti can be quite complex (DOC
Dogliani) and even muscular. Dolcetto d'Alba or d'Asti is an excellent
starting place for someone who likes or wants 'fruit'.

> While I freely confess to having fallen into the language trap many
> years ago and buying a Dolcetto d'Alba thinking I was going to get a
> somewhat sweet wine--"dulce" was my thought--to knowingly offer
> Dolcetto as a solution to the OP's query is unresponsive.

Not at all. You can't read. That's your problem, not mine.

> Dolcetto is
> sort of like Calif. Zinfandel but without the range or breadth or
> intensity.

You just made me spit out my morning beverage...

> Something like a Ridge "late picked" or "late harvest"
> bottling might offer the somewhat sweet and very fruity desire, but
> I'm sure the OP wouldn't want to pay the tariff.
>
> If one had to fill the additional requirement that dealing with UC
> always brings to the game--it must always be Italian and eaten with
> appropriate local fare (because wine never ages, never improves with
> aeration, and always must accompany food from wherever the wine was
> grown)--I'd offer Lambrusco. Light, fruity, somewhat sweet. Of course,
> cherry Kool-Aid is about the same and if you go with the sugar-free,
> you won't rot your teeth.

Wine ages. Ageing is slow oxidation, cxausing complex cehmical
reactions. Aeration is not the same, merely oxidation.

When you learn about chemistry, come back and we'll talk. Otherwise,
refrain from making an utter fool of yourself in front of all these
nice people.

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > Mike Tommasi wrote:

> >>I agree, and underrated as you wrote... A friend started making Dolcetto
> >>in Dogliani 2 years ago (probably the worst year for wine in Piemonte in
> >>decades) and so far results are excellent. Cascina Corte is the name if
> >>you can find it.
> >>

> > Dolcetto ripens fairly early in the season, so years that pose
> > difficulties for late-maturing varieties (such as Nebbiolo) are
> > generally not a problem for Dolcetto.

> No I mean that year the entire area was devastated by hailstones.

Oh, I see. What I meant though, was that if the grapes are picked
already and in the vats, then what happens later does not matter. If
you get hail or heavy rain just before havesting Nebbiolo, your
Dolcetto is fine, because it is already in the vats.

> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 21 Aug 2006 06:41:30 -0700, "UC" >
wrote:

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:30:56 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
>> wrote:

>> >I agree, and underrated as you wrote... A friend started making Dolcetto
>> >in Dogliani 2 years ago (probably the worst year for wine in Piemonte in
>> >decades) and so far results are excellent. Cascina Corte is the name if
>> >you can find it.

>> All well and good, but the OP was seeking an "un-wine"--a sweetish,
>> fruity sort of beverage that might fill the health benefit square of
>> that recommended "glass of red wine" for those who don't really (or
>> yet,) like wine.

>I did not read his post that way. Nor should one. A wine cooler would
>suit, if that were the case.

For those who might have forgotten:

"We don't like wine but have to drink some red wine
"for medicinal purposes. Can anyone recommend a
"fruity (least bitter) variety?"

It starts out "we don't like wine" and then indicates they seek the
health benefit only. And finally wants "fruity" and "least
bitter"--since few wines are really "bitter" (retsina excepted), I'd
have to assume that meant what most would consider "dry" or "not
sweet" wines are the ones to be avoided.

> Doilcetto is an excellent choice for
>someone with little experience with wine. It is not, however, a slight
>on the wine to say that. Some Dolcetti can be quite complex (DOC
>Dogliani) and even muscular. Dolcetto d'Alba or d'Asti is an excellent
>starting place for someone who likes or wants 'fruit'.

So, it is a simple wine for the inexperienced as well as quite
complex and even muscular--sort of a "renaissance man" of wines, an
all-purpose cleaner of free radicals and bad cholesterol wrapped in a
manna-like flavor that appeals to all palates.

>> While I freely confess to having fallen into the language trap many
>> years ago and buying a Dolcetto d'Alba thinking I was going to get a
>> somewhat sweet wine--"dulce" was my thought--to knowingly offer
>> Dolcetto as a solution to the OP's query is unresponsive.

>Not at all. You can't read. That's your problem, not mine.

You challenge me to avoid falling into the linguistic trap of my prior
professional existance in which such a statement would routinely
result in a directive for you to accomplish a physically impossible
biological reproductive act.

>> Dolcetto is
>> sort of like Calif. Zinfandel but without the range or breadth or
>> intensity.

>You just made me spit out my morning beverage...

Sort of the reaction I had to my first Dolcetto.

>> Something like a Ridge "late picked" or "late harvest"
>> bottling might offer the somewhat sweet and very fruity desire, but
>> I'm sure the OP wouldn't want to pay the tariff.
>>
>> If one had to fill the additional requirement that dealing with UC
>> always brings to the game--it must always be Italian and eaten with
>> appropriate local fare (because wine never ages, never improves with
>> aeration, and always must accompany food from wherever the wine was
>> grown)--I'd offer Lambrusco. Light, fruity, somewhat sweet. Of course,
>> cherry Kool-Aid is about the same and if you go with the sugar-free,
>> you won't rot your teeth.

>Wine ages. Ageing is slow oxidation, cxausing complex cehmical
>reactions. Aeration is not the same, merely oxidation.

Ageing is slow oxidation and aeration is oxidation--which oxidation is
not like the other?

>When you learn about chemistry, come back and we'll talk. Otherwise,
>refrain from making an utter fool of yourself in front of all these
>nice people.

Chemistry fascinated me until the beginning of my junior year in
college when I was prompted to change my major to something else.
Since then I've had no regrets about the switch from a chem
curriculum. That and engineering seemed to attract the sorts of people
who didn't play well with others--and the women were not the most
attractive in the school that I attended.

As for foolishness in front of folks, I'd have to take my chances
doing what I've done for years.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2006 06:41:30 -0700, "UC" >
> wrote:
>

> >Ed Rasimus wrote:

> >> All well and good, but the OP was seeking an "un-wine"--a sweetish,
> >> fruity sort of beverage that might fill the health benefit square of
> >> that recommended "glass of red wine" for those who don't really (or
> >> yet,) like wine.

> >I did not read his post that way. Nor should one. A wine cooler would
> >suit, if that were the case.

> For those who might have forgotten:
>
> "We don't like wine but have to drink some red wine
> "for medicinal purposes. Can anyone recommend a
> "fruity (least bitter) variety?"
>
> It starts out "we don't like wine" and then indicates they seek the
> health benefit only.

Even people who "don't like wine" like Dolcetto.

> And finally wants "fruity" and "least
> bitter"--since few wines are really "bitter" (retsina excepted), I'd
> have to assume that meant what most would consider "dry" or "not
> sweet" wines are the ones to be avoided.

That's why I say you can't read.

> > Doilcetto is an excellent choice for
> >someone with little experience with wine. It is not, however, a slight
> >on the wine to say that. Some Dolcetti can be quite complex (DOC
> >Dogliani) and even muscular. Dolcetto d'Alba or d'Asti is an excellent
> >starting place for someone who likes or wants 'fruit'.

> So, it is a simple wine for the inexperienced as well as quite
> complex and even muscular--sort of a "renaissance man" of wines, an
> all-purpose cleaner of free radicals and bad cholesterol wrapped in a
> manna-like flavor that appeals to all palates.

Dolcetto is quite interesting stuff. Some of it is indeed 'simple', but
some of it is quite engagingly complex.

> >> While I freely confess to having fallen into the language trap many
> >> years ago and buying a Dolcetto d'Alba thinking I was going to get a
> >> somewhat sweet wine--"dulce" was my thought--to knowingly offer
> >> Dolcetto as a solution to the OP's query is unresponsive.

> >Not at all. You can't read. That's your problem, not mine.

> You challenge me to avoid falling into the linguistic trap of my prior
> professional existance in which such a statement would routinely
> result in a directive for you to accomplish a physically impossible
> biological reproductive act.

Again, your inability to read is on display. I was not referring to the
name of 'Dolcetto', but your inability to read the original post.

> >> Dolcetto is
> >> sort of like Calif. Zinfandel but without the range or breadth or
> >> intensity.

> >You just made me spit out my morning beverage...

> Sort of the reaction I had to my first Dolcetto.

Dolcetto is very interesting stuff to most people who like wine. But
perhaps you prefer polar bear urine.

What do you call a manic-depressive grizzly? A bi-polar bear!

> >> Something like a Ridge "late picked" or "late harvest"
> >> bottling might offer the somewhat sweet and very fruity desire, but
> >> I'm sure the OP wouldn't want to pay the tariff.
> >>
> >> If one had to fill the additional requirement that dealing with UC
> >> always brings to the game--it must always be Italian and eaten with
> >> appropriate local fare (because wine never ages, never improves with
> >> aeration, and always must accompany food from wherever the wine was
> >> grown)--I'd offer Lambrusco. Light, fruity, somewhat sweet. Of course,
> >> cherry Kool-Aid is about the same and if you go with the sugar-free,
> >> you won't rot your teeth.

> >Wine ages. Ageing is slow oxidation, causing complex chemical
> >reactions. Aeration is not the same, merely oxidation.

> Ageing is slow oxidation and aeration is oxidation--which oxidation is
> not like the other?

Again, you cannot read. There is a difference between using the word
'slow' and not using the word 'slow'. "Slow oxidation" is not
linguistically or chemically the same thing as 'aeration'.

> >When you learn about chemistry, come back and we'll talk. Otherwise,
> >refrain from making an utter fool of yourself in front of all these
> >nice people.

> Chemistry fascinated me until the beginning of my junior year in
> college when I was prompted to change my major to something else.
> Since then I've had no regrets about the switch from a chem
> curriculum. That and engineering seemed to attract the sorts of people
> who didn't play well with others--and the women were not the most
> attractive in the school that I attended.
>
> As for foolishness in front of folks, I'd have to take my chances
> doing what I've done for years.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Mike Tommasi wrote:
>> UC wrote:

>> > Dolcetto ripens fairly early in the season, so years that pose
>> > difficulties for late-maturing varieties (such as Nebbiolo) are
>> > generally not a problem for Dolcetto.

>> No I mean that year the entire area was devastated by hailstones.

> Oh, I see. What I meant though, was that if the grapes are picked
> already and in the vats, then what happens later does not matter. If
> you get hail or heavy rain just before havesting Nebbiolo, your
> Dolcetto is fine, because it is already in the vats.

Had an '03 Diano D' Alba the other day (La Lepre) which surprised me. I'd
expected something soft and simpering as all I'd ever read about Dolcetto
was that it was fairly limp-wristed in the power department. Brown
Browther's Dolcetto and Syrah probably didn't set me on the right path...
Anyway, sexy label, great heavy bottle and an inky dark liquid inside that
had smooth tannins (for such a young Italian wine), soft acidity and plenty
of fruit. The glass I drank it out of was disappointing, but I still got
some cherry and blue-berry action on the nose. Thankfully, dispite the New
World style of this wine, it hadn't been overly smacked with the oak stave
factor.

Went down a treat. As for whether I'd ever plant the stuff? Hmmm, not
totally convinced yet. Could be Italy's answer to Gamay, which could
translate into a bad choice for Australian conditions. Anyone know of decent
Dolcetto from the New World?

Marcello

Posted to alt.food.wine

Marcello Fabretti wrote:
> "UC" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Mike Tommasi wrote:

> >> No I mean that year the entire area was devastated by hailstones.

> > Oh, I see. What I meant though, was that if the grapes are picked
> > already and in the vats, then what happens later does not matter. If
> > you get hail or heavy rain just before havesting Nebbiolo, your
> > Dolcetto is fine, because it is already in the vats.

> Had an '03 Diano D' Alba the other day (La Lepre) which surprised me. I'd
> expected something soft and simpering as all I'd ever read about Dolcetto
> was that it was fairly limp-wristed in the power department. Brown
> Browther's Dolcetto and Syrah probably didn't set me on the right path...
> Anyway, sexy label, great heavy bottle and an inky dark liquid inside that
> had smooth tannins (for such a young Italian wine), soft acidity and plenty
> of fruit. The glass I drank it out of was disappointing, but I still got
> some cherry and blue-berry action on the nose. Thankfully, dispite the New
> World style of this wine, it hadn't been overly smacked with the oak stave
> factor.

See, I told you!

> Went down a treat. As for whether I'd ever plant the stuff? Hmmm, not
> totally convinced yet. Could be Italy's answer to Gamay, which could
> translate into a bad choice for Australian conditions. Anyone know of decent
> Dolcetto from the New World?

Why ask that? Dolcetto from traditional Dolcetto regions should be very
easy to find in the US.

> Marcello

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Marcello Fabretti" asked....

>> Anyone know of decent Dolcetto from the New World?

To which "Michael Scarpitti" wrote .....

> Why ask that? Dolcetto from traditional Dolcetto regions
> should be very easy to find in the US.

And considering Marcello lives in Australia, why don't you address the
question?

Oh yes, you have absolutely no knowledge of any non-Italian wines.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:
> "Marcello Fabretti" asked....
>
> >> Anyone know of decent Dolcetto from the New World?
> >>

> To which "Michael Scarpitti" wrote .....
>

> > Why ask that? Dolcetto from traditional Dolcetto regions
> > should be very easy to find in the US.

> And considering Marcello lives in Australia, why don't you address the
> question?
>
> Oh yes, you have absolutely no knowledge of any non-Italian wines.
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Dolcetto should be easy to find in Oz, too.

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:
> "Marcello Fabretti" asked....
>
> >> Anyone know of decent Dolcetto from the New World?
> >>

> To which "Michael Scarpitti" wrote .....
>

> > Why ask that? Dolcetto from traditional Dolcetto regions
> > should be very easy to find in the US.

> And considering Marcello lives in Australia, why don't you address the
> question?
>
> Oh yes, you have absolutely no knowledge of any non-Italian wines.
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Dolcetto from Italy should be easy to find in Oz, too.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> st.helier wrote:
>> "Marcello Fabretti" asked....

>> To which "Michael Scarpitti" wrote .....
>>

>> > Why ask that? Dolcetto from traditional Dolcetto regions
>> > should be very easy to find in the US.

>> And considering Marcello lives in Australia, why don't you address the
>> question?
>>
>> Oh yes, you have absolutely no knowledge of any non-Italian wines.
>>
>> --
>>
>> st.helier

> Dolcetto from Italy should be easy to find in Oz, too.

Not as easy as you might think. While it used to be easy to find the cheap
and nasty versions of Dolcetto ten or twenty years ago, most have stopped
coming in since Aussies are drinking their own wine more these days, and
those inexpensive Italians are not quite as value-for-money as they used to
be. It's hard to bring in an Italian cheapy that will compete (price and
quality wise) with much of the local stuff.

That notwithstanding, there are importers (Negociants is one, obviously..)
who are finding some lovely Italian wines that are really interesting (but
don't break the bank) and bringing them over. That Diano D' Alba I mentioned
in another post was still a A$40 bottle of wine. I'd expect something VERY
decent at that price, which thankfully it was. So while it may be fairly
easy to track down a bottle of Dolcetto in Australia, many of them are old,
dried-up, watery versions from the '90s. Well, at least that's been my
experience. To be honest I've only recently started drinking Northern
Italian wines since I found it a bit overwhelming venturing out of Tuscany
which I think I'd managed to get a good feel for. I've since rediscovered
Valpolicella, for example. Had a Zenato Valpolicella Superiore (A$28, so on
the cheap side for decent Italian wine) which blew me away. Once again it
was soft, juicey and more complex on the nose than I expected. I actually
got lots of fruit, which for an Australian is the hook that lands the
marlon! "Fruit driven, mate! *burp* Oh, bugger, how am Oi gonna get that
beetroot out..."

Marcello

Posted to alt.food.wine

Marcello Fabretti wrote:

> Not as easy as you might think. While it used to be easy to find the cheap
> and nasty versions of Dolcetto ten or twenty years ago, most have stopped
> coming in since Aussies are drinking their own wine more these days, and
> those inexpensive Italians are not quite as value-for-money as they used to
> be.

Dolcetto is very hard to find in the USA. Typical super markets and
liquor stores won't have any. Finer wine stores have a very small
selection. It's just not a popular wine here. I have seen California
Dolcetto at a few small wineries but they do not distribute outside
their local area.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
says...

>"UC" > wrote in message
roups.com...

>> st.helier wrote:
>>> "Marcello Fabretti" asked....

>>> To which "Michael Scarpitti" wrote .....

>>> And considering Marcello lives in Australia, why don't you address the
>>> question?
>>>
>>> Oh yes, you have absolutely no knowledge of any non-Italian wines.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> st.helier

>> Dolcetto from Italy should be easy to find in Oz, too.

>Not as easy as you might think. While it used to be easy to find the cheap
>and nasty versions of Dolcetto ten or twenty years ago, most have stopped
>coming in since Aussies are drinking their own wine more these days, and
>those inexpensive Italians are not quite as value-for-money as they used to
>be. It's hard to bring in an Italian cheapy that will compete (price and
>quality wise) with much of the local stuff.

[SNIP]

I imagine that it is similar to finding really good German wines in much of
the US. Even our better shops in Phoenix usually stop very short of a
worthwhile stock, because of the retail population, who will not pay > US$15
for a German wine. I have to order much of mine in from a retailer in San
Francisco, who can ship to AZ. It's all in the marketplace. If they can sell
the good stuff, for what it costs, all is good. If they are competing with the
YellowTails, or whatever, one gets plonk. I hope that things change, both in
OZ and AZ! <G>

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hunt wrote:

> I imagine that it is similar to finding really good German wines in much of
> the US. Even our better shops in Phoenix usually stop very short of a
> worthwhile stock

Have you tried AZ Wines on Scottsdale Rd. and Osborn? I don't drink
German wines too much but they do have a good selection of imports.
Epicurian Wines on Scottsdale and Thunderbird also might have something.
I buy most of my wines from these two stores or Costco, Sams Club.
Everyone else is too expensive.
Posted to alt.food.wine

miles wrote:
> Marcello Fabretti wrote:
>
> > Not as easy as you might think. While it used to be easy to find the cheap
> > and nasty versions of Dolcetto ten or twenty years ago, most have stopped
> > coming in since Aussies are drinking their own wine more these days, and
> > those inexpensive Italians are not quite as value-for-money as they used to
> > be.

> Dolcetto is very hard to find in the USA. Typical super markets and
> liquor stores won't have any. Finer wine stores have a very small
> selection. It's just not a popular wine here. I have seen California
> Dolcetto at a few small wineries but they do not distribute outside
> their local area.

Most good wine shops carry loads of Italian wines, including Dolcetto.
If you don't see it, ask. Dozens of bottlings are available in the US.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I would say a Zin or some nice California field blend. Shenendoah
Zinfandel especially is bright and fruity (and not too expensive).
Also, some Spanish Grenache or Tempranillo might work.
Here's a list of some of my favorite fruity wines that are under
$11/bottle
-Verasol Crianza
-Fess Parker Frontier Red
-X Winery Red X
-Milliare Zinfandel
-Senor Balboa Tempranillo
-Amano Primitvo
-Fleur Pinot Noir

I actually don't recommend big chains like Target, Trader Joe's or
supermarkets or even BevMo for the most part if you're looking for
something of a specific flavor profile. You might get something cheap
but it'll most likely be hit or miss. I'd find a local wine shop and
get to know some of the people that work there and have them get to
know your palate - if you're a regular it doesn't matter if you're
buying $7spanish table wine or $80 WH Smith Pinot Noir - you'll most
likely get way better service and recommendations!

wrote:
> We don't like wine but have to drink some red wine
> for medicinal purposes. Can anyone recommend a
> fruity (least bitter) variety?
>
> Thanks,
> H.K.

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:

> Most good wine shops carry loads of Italian wines, including Dolcetto.
> If you don't see it, ask. Dozens of bottlings are available in the US.

Plenty of Italian wines. Dolcetto is just not very popular in the USA,
especially imports. Chianti is certainly plentiful here.

Posted to alt.food.wine

miles wrote:
> UC wrote:
>
> > Most good wine shops carry loads of Italian wines, including Dolcetto.
> > If you don't see it, ask. Dozens of bottlings are available in the US.

> Plenty of Italian wines. Dolcetto is just not very popular in the USA,
> especially imports. Chianti is certainly plentiful here.

Communities that have a large Italian population are likely to have a
good variety. The days when only Chiantis would be on the shelves are
thankfully over. Dolcetto is always a big seller here in Columbus.
Gentile's Kind Avenue location has 5 or 6 different bottlings all the
time.

Does a wine become less fruity with age? aesthete8 Wine 2 22-12-2010 09:38 PM
fruity MountedPL General Cooking 6 21-03-2010 04:48 PM
Oz wine recommend Ric Wine 0 20-09-2006 04:13 AM
Recommend Wine of the Month Club Goro Wine 6 06-12-2005 07:41 PM
What Do Dry Fruity Wine & Fruit-flavoured Mineral Water Have In common? jcoulter Wine 2 07-07-2005 06:36 PM