Posted to alt.food.wine

Default grapes to wine ratio

what is the volume of grapes needed per volume of wine produced?
Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:
> what is the volume of grapes needed per volume of wine produced?

I'm sure it varies quite a bit depending on the grape/wine being
produced. I'd figure 2-3 lbs of grapes per bottle.

I'm sure someone else here will have more accurate information.
Posted to alt.food.wine

> what is the volume of grapes needed per volume of wine produced?

Miles is correct, it does vary quite a bit on varietal. Some contain a
higher ratio of extractable liquids than others.

That said, it seems many varietals average (more or less) a 2:1 ratio,
e.g. 200 lbs. of grapes will yield roughly 100 lbs./pints of wine.

As for that leftover 50%, the remaining skins, pips, etc.... there's
always grappa, if you happen to be in the mood for home-distillation.

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.food.wine

I make about 100 gallons of wine from my backyard vineyard every year. From
my experience with my grapes and having worked at a commercial vineyard and
winery, 100 pounds of grapes will yield approximately about 8 gallons of
wine. This is for Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Cabernet
Sauvignon will not yield quite this amount as the grape berry is smaller and
the skin thicker. The yield from white grape varieties is less.

> wrote in message
m...
> what is the volume of grapes needed per volume of wine produced?

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dave" > wrote:

>> what is the volume of grapes needed per volume of wine
>> produced?

> Miles is correct, it does vary quite a bit on varietal. Some
> contain a higher ratio of extractable liquids than others.
>
> That said, it seems many varietals average (more or less) a 2:1
> ratio, e.g. 200 lbs. of grapes will yield roughly 100 lbs./pints
> of wine.

Sorry, no. Leaving apart special wines (vin de paille, botrytised
wines), the figure of 50% of must from the total is way to low. 65
to 70% would be a standard rule of thumb. So it's more a 3:2 ratio.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dionysus wrote:
> I make about 100 gallons of wine from my backyard vineyard every year. From
> my experience with my grapes and having worked at a commercial vineyard and
> winery, 100 pounds of grapes will yield approximately about 8 gallons of
> wine. This is for Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Cabernet
> Sauvignon will not yield quite this amount as the grape berry is smaller and
> the skin thicker. The yield from white grape varieties is less.

And for those who deal in more sane systems of measurement (i.e.,
metric), that's 45.5 kg of grapes yields 29 kg of wine, giving a ratio
of 1.5 (i.e., 3:2 as Michael Pronay noted in his post).

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Dionysus wrote:
>> I make about 100 gallons of wine from my backyard vineyard every year.
>> From
>> my experience with my grapes and having worked at a commercial vineyard
>> and
>> winery, 100 pounds of grapes will yield approximately about 8 gallons of
>> wine. This is for Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc.
>> Cabernet
>> Sauvignon will not yield quite this amount as the grape berry is smaller
>> and
>> the skin thicker. The yield from white grape varieties is less.

> And for those who deal in more sane systems of measurement (i.e.,
> metric), that's 45.5 kg of grapes yields 29 kg of wine, giving a ratio
> of 1.5 (i.e., 3:2 as Michael Pronay noted in his post).
>
> Mark Lipton

I agree it is a "More Sane System" but for those of us stuck in the U.S. we
are left with the "Other" system. We even have a Fascists as pResident.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael,

The guy's just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Which obviously
means he's looking at it from the viewpoint of non-commercial or
amateur-hobbiest production.

A lot depends on how you go about pressing the must, e.g. commercial
presses (higher %) versus "traditional" home-made or hand-press (lower
%) pressing methods.

David

Michael Pronay wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote:
>
> >> what is the volume of grapes needed per volume of wine
> >> produced?

> > Miles is correct, it does vary quite a bit on varietal. Some
> > contain a higher ratio of extractable liquids than others.
> >
> > That said, it seems many varietals average (more or less) a 2:1
> > ratio, e.g. 200 lbs. of grapes will yield roughly 100 lbs./pints
> > of wine.

> Sorry, no. Leaving apart special wines (vin de paille, botrytised
> wines), the figure of 50% of must from the total is way to low. 65
> to 70% would be a standard rule of thumb. So it's more a 3:2 ratio.
>
> M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> And for those who deal in more sane systems of measurement

Sanity is one thing, but funky measuring standards do make things a bit
more interesting.

Cheers,

David

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dave wrote:
>> And for those who deal in more sane systems of measurement

> Sanity is one thing, but funky measuring standards do make things a bit
> more interesting.

Yup, that's why my property was platted in cubits :P

Mark Lipton

(who maintains an irrational fondness for the old system of English
coinage -- how many farthings in a Guinea was it, anyway?)

Posted to alt.food.wine

> (who maintains an irrational fondness for the old system of English
> coinage -- how many farthings in a Guinea was it, anyway?)

And I still prefer using Stones as a standard. Makes me feel lighter on
the scale, anyway.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> And I still prefer using Stones as a standard.

Isn't it "stone"? The plural of "stone" (the weight) is "stone", no?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Jose wrote:
>> And I still prefer using Stones as a standard.

> Isn't it "stone"? The plural of "stone" (the weight) is "stone", no?
>
> Jose

Maybe he's referring to the combined weight of Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill
and Charlie? :P

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

>>Isn't it "stone"? The plural of "stone" (the weight) is "stone", no?
> Maybe he's referring to the combined weight of Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill
> and Charlie? :P

That would be "stoned".

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Posted to alt.food.wine

> >>Isn't it "stone"? The plural of "stone" (the weight) is "stone", no?

You're right - stone is singular.

> > Maybe he's referring to the combined weight of Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill
> > and Charlie? :P

> That would be "stoned".

No - in that case, I'd be measuring by the ounce!

Cheers,

David

Posted to alt.food.wine

In commercial quantities, we averaged somewhere around 625 litres per tonne
of red wine grapes (Pinot Noir) and closer to 700 litres per tonne for white
wine varieties.

-

st.helier

Hot Climate Wine Grapes [email protected] Winemaking 2 10-01-2008 06:02 PM
California wine grapes gA Winemaking 2 17-08-2007 03:36 PM
Wine grapes in UK Pinky Winemaking 8 07-09-2005 07:33 AM
Making wine from the grapes Red Ketchup Winemaking 0 24-04-2005 06:24 PM
Fresh grapes wine Red Ketchup Winemaking 0 22-12-2004 12:53 AM