Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Woodward Canyon Old Vines (Dedication Series) 1999

Sunday we went to Harvest on Hudson for a 70th birthday party for a
dear friend. Gorgeous evening on the river, food didn't quite match the
view, and the wines were quite a few steps behind the view. I didn't
get the name of the decent Sauvignon Blanc I had outside before dinner,
nor of the revoltingly sweet Merlot I was offered with my filet. But
between the 2 I did spot the label on a bottle of 2004 Cavit Pinot
Grigio that was poured in the dining room pre-meat. Actually, not so
bad for inexpensive PG. A little dilute and short, but the flavors that
are there are reasonably clean- citrus fruit, a little melon. B- Still,
the wines mattered little, what mattered was a chance to celebrate a
milestone with a truly great lady.

Monday Betsy and I met friends for dinner at a local restaurant- kind
of a comfort food place. Betsy had ribs, I had meatloaf, and I brought
in a bottle that I thought Joe would like (I was right). The 1999
Woodward Canyon Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon (Columbia Valley) was a
pretty much everything I look for in a New World Cabernet- cassis and
crushed red berry fruit, firm but ripe tannins, long finish. Vanilla-y
oak is out front but integrated, certainly this wine is ripe but there
is enough acidity to keep it lively. Develops aromas of mocha and
smoke. Needs time, but a very nice WA cab. A-