Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Pommard, Pruliers, Potel and plenty of pork!

Matt Richman & Arv Rao organized an offline at Daisy Mae's BBQ on 11th
Avenue last night. The Big Pig Gig requires 48 hour notice. Half of a
(large) suckling pig served with barbecue sauce (I'd call this South
Carolina style, with definite mustard notes). They hand out plastic
gloves and aprons , you rip apart the pig yourself (at the end Matt and
Howard Chen gave a seminar in carcass picking- bravo!). Sides included
slaw, Texas toast, baked beans, mashed potatoes and gravy; desserts
were watermelon and Bourbon peaches.

The first 8 pix in Arv's album show us and our pig:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/drooli...e2.jpg&.src=ph

The wines:

2004 Michel Niellon "Les Champgains" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
A really perfect ideal of Niellon's style- rich ripe almost tropical
fruit that might remind one of California, except for a clean acidity
and dominating mineral streak in the finish. Reminds me of ripe pears
with citrus juice squirted on them. A-/A

PD's mystery wine: Nose seemed like white Burgundy to me. On the palate
the wood seemed quite heavy to me (no one else seemed to agree). There
was a mineral note that seemed to agree, though the palate was more
floral/tropical and citrusy. The more I tasted the less idea I had, I
wavered, but threw out Meursault as a guess, my worst guess of the
year, it's the 2004 Mas dŽen Compte (Priorat), apparently mostly
Grenache blanc. B

On to the reds:
1999 Girardin "Champans" Volnay 1er
Quite tight at first. Opened though, with some nice dark cherry fruit.
Seems a bit oaky, but overall well-balanced. B+

1988 Ballot-Millot "Pezerolles" Pommard 1er
Tight and still a little tannic, this had a funky dankness (not corked,
though) at first. But that eventually blew off , by my last revisit it
was showing much improvement with a meaty note over raspberry and
cherry fruit, with some mushroomy nuances. Not exciting, but acceptable
mature Burg. B/B+

1990 Camus Charmes-Chambertin
Initially a little too cold to taste. As it warmed, some light
maderized notes appear. Rather thin for a 1990, without a lot of oomph.

2002 Fourrier "Les Petit Vougeots" Vougeot 1er
Tied for red WOTN for me. Really nice, with a light ripe tannins and
balanced acidity framing a pure red fruit core. Some power here, even
though there's a lacy texture that is quite elegant. Hints of spice and
mineral abound. A-

2003 Chevillon "Les Perrieres" Nuits St Georges
(actually my fight card says Les Cailles, but pretty sure this was
Perrieres). Jammy, round - this shows more of the (weak spots of the)
2003 vintage than the strengths of Chevillon. Raspberry jam with a
funny note of orange juice. C+

2003 Chevillon "Les Pruliers" Nuits St Georges
I like this better than the Perrieres,but still seems too ripe and
low-acid for me. The redeeming feature is a real minerality that runs
underneath the black fruit. Still, I'm not thrilled to find on
Cellartracker that I have a couple coming. B-

2000 Nicolas Potel Echezeaux
I am however happy that I have a bottle or two of this in the cellar.
Nice, open, with some gravitas yet light on its feet. Ripe but not
overripe cherry fruit, a bit of earth with a funny (but not at all
unpleasant) sandalwood aromas dancing around. B+/A-

1999 Guy Castagnier Clos-St.-Denis
I was glad this was poured late, it was tight and a little funky when
opened. Could use time, but very nice for a well-priced Grand Cru. Some
real depth and with nice purity of darker fruit, balanced acidity,
strong finish with mineral and earth. A-

2001 La Tour Blanche (Sauternes)
This is just lovely Sauternes, the intense sweetness lightened and
offset by a vibrant acidity that makes this wine dance. Lovely apricot
and pineapple fruit, long long long finish. A-

Fun night with a good group! Thanks to Matt and Arv for your work.

TN: $35 Pommard 1er DaleW Wine 0 25-09-2014 02:04 PM
TN: '93 Jadot Pommard Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 11-07-2008 05:08 PM
TN: In which I don't pay attention ('01 Potel Chambolle) DaleW Wine 0 11-12-2006 10:10 PM
TN: A Pacherenc and a Pommard Jim Wine 0 04-01-2006 10:27 AM
Plenty David Dalton General Cooking 1 12-04-2004 03:03 AM