Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Pessac, Bourgueil, Macon, and Mendocino

Our last days in Laguna we were cooking at Betsy's home. Eve doesn't
drink (though she's happy to do the blessing of the wine), so I picked
up a cheap Pinot to have with the Shabbos chicken. I got the 2005
Castle Rock Mendocino Pinot Noir based on some past vintages of Castle
Rock that were good qpr if unexciting. This was frank;y a poor wine,
unidentifiable as Pinot, sweet yet with a bitter underlay. Short,
boring. Tasted like a first time home winemaker's attempt at Shiraz. C-

We perservered through rest of bottle for next two nights, it was
better on night 2, but not much. Night three- yuck.

Ah, back home. But it's HOT outside. Betsy thawed some lamb chops for
Tuesday dinner, I braved the heat to grill them. Wine was the 1990 La
Louviere (Pessac-Leognan). Ah, to be home both physically and
oenologically! Bordeaux was my first vinuous love, and the 1990 La
Louviere is a great example of what a non-trophy Bordeaux can be at
maturity. Clear rich cassis and blackberry fruit, layers of earth (at
once loamy, gravelly, and showing hints of a decaying forest floor), a
little smoky note. Rich finish with good length. I'm sure my
happiness to be home bumped up my score a little, but I'm giving it an
A-/A and sticking to it!

Wednesday was still hot, but Betsy braved the oven to bake some duck
legs with juniper, cumin, and other spices. While I usually am strictly
a duck with pinot man, in the past I've found this spice combo to do
better with things like Rhones or Rioja. I decided to broaden my list
this time, with the 2004 Catherine et Pierre Breton "Trinch!" Bourgueil
(partly because I was looking to serve something a little cool). Pretty
wine with clear red fruit, a nice herbal note, and strong finish. Good
acidity and surprising tannins, nice now but structured enough it could
age (though I don't think it's intended to). B+

My turn to cook on Thursday - luckily a brief storm cooled things down
before grilling time. I had briefly marinated some shrimp in some white
Macon with old bay and red pepper flakes, they were grilled on kebabs
with our garden's cherry tomatoes and some bacon wrapped scallops. The
wine was the 2005 Jean-Claude Thevenet Macon-Pierreclos (by the way, is
this the same family as the Beaujolais?). No apparent wood, clean crisp
rich Chardonnay fruit. This isn't especially deep or complex, but a
really nice medium-bodied clean white. B+/B.

TN: Chablis, Pomerol, Bourgueil DaleW Wine 6 31-03-2008 09:38 PM
TN Pessac and OR Pinot Gris, both good deals DaleW Wine 1 26-08-2007 03:32 PM
Bourgueil 2004 Joseph Coulter[_3_] Wine 1 30-07-2007 02:45 AM
Pessac-Leognan Notes Bill S. Wine 1 10-09-2006 08:31 PM
Bourgueil Joseph Coulter Wine 1 22-05-2006 09:20 PM