Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Francly my dear...Cheval Blanc, Loires, Le Dome, Pride, Havens

Last night was my turn to host a local wine group. Host chooses theme,
I chose Cab Franc. I had discussed theme with a couple of people, but
for most people it was double blind to start.

While we gathered, we had some wild board proscuitto with figs and
parmesan, and the 1999 Pierre Matrot "Les Combettes" Puligny-Montrachet
1er. Rather rich and tropical, more lush than the minerally wine that
I remembered, but still quite attractive. B+

Then to the reds:

Flight One (served with some smoked duck breast & assorted cheeses).

1989 Catherine et Pierre Breton "GrandMont" Bourgueil
Black raspberry fruit with a strong (but to me attractive) streak of
green pepper. Young, firm tannins and acidity, with some coffee and
licorice aromas. I liked more than table in general. B+

1989 Olga Raffault "Les Picasses" Chinon
I expected to prefer this to the Breton, as this bottling is usually my
favorite Loire red, but this didn't sing to me. Tannins seemed rougher
than the Breton, and at same time it is surprisingly low-acid. Someone
mentions a mediocre St. Emilion and it does remind me of that a bit.
B-.

Flight Two
2001 Havens Bourriquot
This is about 2/3s CF and 1/3 Merlot, it is intended as the winemaker's
tribute to Cheval Blanc. I liked more than table in general, finding it
to be a pretty decent example of mid-sized California wine. Plenty of
spicy/toasty oak, both red and black currant fruit, smooth texture and
good finish. B+

1998 Le Petit Cheval (St. Emilion)
This was rather disappointing - had quite liked the 2000 recently. At
least as Californian as the CA wine. Oak, round fruit, plush, a little
empty. B-

At this point we revealed the previous 4 bottles, from now on everyone
knew that Cab Franc was theme, but bottles were still blind

Flight Three (served with cold roast lamb -which I had overcooked-,
potato salad, and beans)

1981 Ch.Cheval Blanc (St. Emilion)
Mature and maybe just a tad tired, but rather elegant with red fruit
edged with earth and cigarbox. Some cedary elements get more pronounced
in the glass. Overshadowed by its flightmate, but really a nice bottle
of mature Bordeaux. B+/A-

1983 Ch.Cheval Blanc (St. Emilion )
I had chosen the Cab Franc theme as an excuse to get this bottle, which
had stunned me previously. That's a recipe for disappointment, but not
this time. Rich, vibrant, and young, with powerful blackberry and
black cherry fruit, some light mocha notes, and a clean long finish.
The nose becomes more exotic as it sits in glass, with coffee and
sandalwood curling around the solid fruit base. Great wine for my
tastes. A

Flight Four

2000 Ch. Le Dome (St. Emilion)
Mark had known the theme, and suggested this 70% CF garagiste. This had
hours in the decanter, but still was a bit of a beast. Hulking
extracted wine, black fruit battling with heavy oak for supremacy. This
isn't my style of wine,but it does have some interest. Just not $225
worth ($25, maybe). B/B-

2001 Pride Mountain Cabernet Franc ( Sonoma)
A few years ago I liked a La Jota CF. A semi- local store listed an
older bottle that in their inventory, but they couldn't find when I was
in neighborhood. When I told them it was for a Cab Franc tasting, they
convinced me to take the Pride (I think I had also read Parker
commenting la Jota and Pride were best examples of CF in CA). Salesguy
said "I guarantee this will win its flight." Nope. This is another
hulking extracted wine, this time with blueberries battling the oak.
But here the oak just kicked the fruit's ass. I got tweezers to remove
the oak from my mouth. Disjointed, awkward wine. Not sure I've ever had
a non-damaged $99 bottle I disliked as much. A retaste hours later was
no improvement. I'm debating whether to even add this to my vinegar
crock. C

We finished with an off-theme dessert wine (budget didn't extend to
Quintarelli Alzero), the 1985 Moulin Touchais (Coteaux du Layon).
Candied fruit, a little caramel, somewhat unevolved. Good acidity. This
isn't great sweet Chenin, but it's a fun way to end evening. B+/B

Nice group, fun evening (especially since I didn't need to drive).

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:48:00 -0700, DaleW wrote:

> While we gathered, we had some wild board proscuitto

Didn't you perceive the flavor to be a bit on the "woody" side? ;-)

Godzilla

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ack, you're right. Sorry about the typo.

Also, I meant to make a note re the Bourriquot. One of my fellow
tasters (a pro) is more brett-averse than I, so I was curious as to how
he would respond to this Laube 67 pointer. No one at table found it
bretty.

Godzilla wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:48:00 -0700, DaleW wrote:
>
> > While we gathered, we had some wild board proscuitto

> Didn't you perceive the flavor to be a bit on the "woody" side? ;-)
>
> Godzilla

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Last night was my turn to host a local wine group. Host chooses theme,
> I chose Cab Franc. I had discussed theme with a couple of people, but
> for most people it was double blind to start.
>
> While we gathered, we had some wild board proscuitto with figs and
> parmesan, and the 1999 Pierre Matrot "Les Combettes" Puligny-Montrachet
> 1er. Rather rich and tropical, more lush than the minerally wine that
> I remembered, but still quite attractive. B+

Wild board proscuitto would seem to be better suited for termites than
people. You and your guests must have much better teeth than do I.
Forgive me, but I could not resist writing this :-).

> 2001 Pride Mountain Cabernet Franc ( Sonoma)

I have one bottle of Mt. Veeder Winery Cabernet Franc 1977 left. I
drank the other bottle of it many years ago and found it to be the
darkest and most tannic wine I have ever had. Drinking it was no
pleasure then. Someday I will open the remaining bottle and hope the
tannin has resolved. It was such an unbalanced wine earlier, that I
doubt if much fruit will be left, but you never know.

> We finished with an off-theme dessert wine (budget didn't extend to
> Quintarelli Alzero), the 1985 Moulin Touchais (Coteaux du Layon).
> Candied fruit, a little caramel, somewhat unevolved. Good acidity. This
> isn't great sweet Chenin, but it's a fun way to end evening. B+/B

It is not at all unusual for Moulin Touchas to evolve slowly. I have
not had the 85. However recently the 76 was nice but seemed to be
capable of much more age. The 59, 49, and even earlier vintages are
still supposed to be drinking well if well stored.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Some friends recently had the '59 Moulin Touchais (listed as Anjou at
that point) and said it vibrant.

I revisited a few leftovers last night before the vinegar crock God was
given his sacrifices. The Breton was even better on day 2, with ripe
dark fruit and a real sense of structure. I still wasn't thrilled with
the Raffault, which seemed bretty on revisit, and still very round
(almost flabby). The Petit Cheval just seemed like a lightly oxidized
version of the generic red it was night before. Bourriquot was holding
on.