FoodBanter.com

-   -   Hunter Valley tourism - getting around the vineyards (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/93488-hunter-valley-tourism-getting.html)

Salil 09-06-2006 07:51 AM

Hunter Valley tourism - getting around the vineyards

I'll be in Sydney in a week's time, and plan on dropping by the Hunter
Valley to visit a couple of the wineries/wine cellars there.

Anyone here who has done something along these lines before? I'm right
now trying to work out the logistics of such a trip -I'll most probably
be going alone, and don't drive, so renting a car's out of the question
- any suggestions on what the best way to get around while in the
Valley (from winery to winery and such) is?

Thanks,

Salil

Bob Howes 09-06-2006 10:20 PM

Hunter Valley tourism - getting around the vineyards

"Salil" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll be in Sydney in a week's time, and plan on dropping by the Hunter
> Valley to visit a couple of the wineries/wine cellars there.
>
> Anyone here who has done something along these lines before? I'm right
> now trying to work out the logistics of such a trip -I'll most probably
> be going alone, and don't drive, so renting a car's out of the question
> - any suggestions on what the best way to get around while in the
> Valley (from winery to winery and such) is?

I lived for a few years on Oz (and should be back there in the next few
months).

I fear that without being able to drive yourself, your only real option is
to find an organised wine tour the lays on the transport for you. Distances
are very large and public transport fairly non-existant. Taxis in small
towns will happily take you...but charge heavily for the privilege and look
for payment for their return trip even if they drop you off.

Don't forget that the Hunter Valley is about 2 hours by car away from Sydney
before you even get there.

However, the good news is that such tours are pretty common, if only due to
Aus drink driving laws. You should have a good time.

Bob

Salil 10-06-2006 01:21 AM

Bob Howes wrote:
> I fear that without being able to drive yourself, your only real option is
> to find an organised wine tour the lays on the transport for you. Distances
> are very large and public transport fairly non-existant. Taxis in small
> towns will happily take you...but charge heavily for the privilege and look
> for payment for their return trip even if they drop you off.

Yikes. I had heard about coaches that would take you between the Hunter
and Sydney - although are these complete tours?

Thanks for the info though - will certainly need more planning now
before I make my trip there.

Christopher Mason 10-06-2006 02:33 AM

Hunter Valley tourism - getting around the vineyards

Hi,

Although it has been a few years, I did visit Hunter Valley in 2002. You
may want to stay at a hotel out there. I stayed at the Hunter Resort. It was
very nice and not that expensive because the Australia dollar was low. The
package included a wine tour. The tour was great. A bus picked us up and
drove us to about 5 wineries. My favorite being the Audrey Wilkinson--the
view was great. You may try that option.

Chris

Salil 11-06-2006 10:00 AM

Hunter Valley tourism - getting around the vineyards

No plans on staying in the Hunter, as I've already got accommodation in
Sydney for my stay in NSW.

Have gone for a day tour by bus with Wine Boutique Tours, which is
supposed to fit in 4-5 wineries (most of which can be decided on an ad
hoc basis on the day itself).

I'm keen on seeing McWilliams' Mount Pleasant and I've heard a lot of
good noises about Robin Drayton and Tyrrell's - any comments on these
from people who've been there, or any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Salil

Mat[_2_] 12-06-2006 02:38 AM

Salil wrote:
> No plans on staying in the Hunter, as I've already got accommodation in
> Sydney for my stay in NSW.
>
> Have gone for a day tour by bus with Wine Boutique Tours, which is
> supposed to fit in 4-5 wineries (most of which can be decided on an ad
> hoc basis on the day itself).
>
> I'm keen on seeing McWilliams' Mount Pleasant and I've heard a lot of
> good noises about Robin Drayton and Tyrrell's - any comments on these
> from people who've been there, or any other suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Salil

My advice is always to try to get your hands on a copy of "Australian
Wine Companion" by James Halliday. The 2006 is current, but I think the
2007 should be coming out sometime soonish.

5957 wines rated, 2001 winery profiles.

It goes for about $25AU at most good bookstores.

McWilliams Mount Pleasant 5 stars: www.mcwilliams.com.au

Robin Drayton not mentioned, Drayton's Family Wines is, 3 stars.
www.draytonswines.com.au

Tyrells' 5 stars, www.tyrrells.com.au

Lower Hunter Valley he rates as some of the best:
Brokenwood
Capercaillie
Chateau Pato
Chatto Wines
Keith Tullcoh Wine
Lake's Folly
McWilliam's Mount Pleasant
Tower Estate
Tyrrell's

There's a whole list of almost all of the wineries in the back of the book.

Mat[_2_] 12-06-2006 03:03 AM

Hunter Valley tourism - getting around the vineyards

PS: Google is your friend.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e... +Search&meta=

I can't vouch for any of them coz I've never been there.

Matt S 12-06-2006 04:02 AM

On 11 Jun 2006 02:00:23 -0700, "Salil" > wrote:

>No plans on staying in the Hunter, as I've already got accommodation in
>Sydney for my stay in NSW.
>
>Have gone for a day tour by bus with Wine Boutique Tours, which is
>supposed to fit in 4-5 wineries (most of which can be decided on an ad
>hoc basis on the day itself).
>
>I'm keen on seeing McWilliams' Mount Pleasant and I've heard a lot of
>good noises about Robin Drayton and Tyrrell's - any comments on these
>from people who've been there, or any other suggestions?

Tyrell's is a MUST if you appreciate Semillon. Their Vat 1 and
Belford are magnificent, and age as good (If not better) as any Sems
in the world.

hooroo...