Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1994 Chteau La Gaffelière

What would be a good U.S. price for this wine? Not being up on
Bordeaux (more of a cab person at this point - but I'm just getting
started), what should I expect upon opening? Anyone familiar with this
wine?

The past postings of this group has tremendously helped me begin
learning about this wonderful, wonderful thing that has somehow eluded
me so far in life. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Eric

Posted to alt.food.wine

I think Mark's pretty on target with the $40-50. WSearcher doesn't show
any '94 in US, but the '94 Ch. Canon is available in mid-$40s,and
MacArthurs has L'Arrossee at $27 and prices are generally comparable.

Don't remember having '94 Ch. la Gaffeliere, but in general '94 St.
Emilions are a little lean and tannic. This is a wine for steak, not
roast chicken. Don't expect a fruit bomb. Enjoy.

Dale
PS If buying, be sure you're getting Ch. la Gaffeliere. Both that and
Ch. Canon la Gaffeliere are respected chateaux, but there is also some
negociant bottling called "Domaine de la Gaffeliere" that is a late
release a la Simard, at similiar pricing- for a '94 it should be less
than $20 before giving it a try.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Well, I purchased a bottle from the local supermarket - they had for
21.99 a bottle, so I decided I'd give it a shot.

Upon opening, it had a nice nose to it. (Not to the point where I can
tell you what I smelled/tasted yet - just getting started, remember?)
It seemed that once it got a little air, it smoothed out just a little.
We very much enjoyed it - quite dry, plenty of body, and enjoyable.
At that price, will buy a couple more.

Thanks for all the help!

Eric