Posted to talk.politics.drugs,uk.politics.drugs,alt.food.wine,uk.legal

Default Europe to crack down on 'passive drinking', says leaked report

Pete nospam Zakel wrote:
> In article > john2 > writes:
> >Many studies have shown that moderate drinking increases life span and
> >reduces risk of coronaries. So it doesn't make that much sense to stop
> >something that is healthy, even for a European bureaucrat.

> And a meta-study has recently shown that the alleged increase in life span
> reduced coronary disease risk goes away when you factor in people who stop
> drinking for health reasons.
>
> In other words -- you have to include people who stopped drinking because
> the alcohol caused them harm in the group of "drinkers", not the group of
> "non-drinkers". Doing that results in no net benefit for alcohol use.
>
> -Pete Zakel
> )
>
> "The problem with any unwritten law is that you don't know where to go
> to erase it."

Put thee fuc*ing clock right:-( Grrrrrr

Granville

Posted to talk.politics.drugs,uk.politics.drugs,alt.food.wine,uk.legal

In an ideal world, privacy wouldn't be all that important, because in
an ideal world, nobody would have to be ashamed about anything, and
nobody would have to hide anything.

We do not live in an ideal world, so we need to retain some privacy
until things become ideal.

Everyone has something to hide.

The reason for this is because there are too many people who disapprove
of certain behaviors that we want to have the liberty to enjoy, and
unfortunately we tend to care about the opinions of certain people.

One end of the spectrum might be things frowned upon... drunkenness,
drug abuse, smoking, leud sex acts, porn habits, sexual fantasies,
goofing off at work, laziness, gambling, cheating, poor personal
hygene, etc... but on the other end of the spectrum could be things
like religious views, political leanings, charitible donations (or lack
thereof), etc.

Nobody is perfect, and society is a far cry off from minding their own
business about what other people do in the privacy of their own home.

Cynic wrote:
> You say that you are not concerned about your privacy. I don't
> believe you. You can easily prove me wrong. Simply post all your
> personal details in reply to my post. Name, address, telephone
> numbers, bank details, who you work for, your employee number, salary,
> pension details, medical history,and a summary of your present sexual
> activities.

> *Then* I will believe that you have no concerns about your privacy,
> and also that you are a bit daft.

Posted to talk.politics.drugs,uk.politics.drugs,alt.food.wine,uk.legal

In article > john2 > writes:
>Many studies have shown that moderate drinking increases life span and
>reduces risk of coronaries. So it doesn't make that much sense to stop
>something that is healthy, even for a European bureaucrat.

And a meta-study has recently shown that the alleged increase in life span
reduced coronary disease risk goes away when you factor in people who stop
drinking for health reasons.

In other words -- you have to include people who stopped drinking because
the alcohol caused them harm in the group of "drinkers", not the group of
"non-drinkers". Doing that results in no net benefit for alcohol use.

-Pete Zakel
)

"The problem with any unwritten law is that you don't know where to go
to erase it."
-Glaser and Way