Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Rhone suggestions

Headed off to France in a couple weeks. Will be making our usual
pilgimage to Puligny Montrachet, and then headed down to Provence /
Rhone. Any suggestions on winemakers / cellars to vist?
Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Gigondas, etc...

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ric" > wrote in news:1148239041.183849.202560
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Headed off to France in a couple weeks. Will be making our usual
> pilgimage to Puligny Montrachet, and then headed down to Provence /
> Rhone. Any suggestions on winemakers / cellars to vist?
> Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Gigondas, etc...

stop in Gigondas eat lunch at Les Florets and then visit Domaine la
Garrigue their winery.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks Joseph - had tried to book to stay at Les Florets, but it was
booked; will definitely stop there for lunch tho, and try Domaine la
Garrigue - thanks

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ric" > wrote in news:1148252428.258842.209070
@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks Joseph - had tried to book to stay at Les Florets, but it was
> booked; will definitely stop there for lunch tho, and try Domaine la
> Garrigue - thanks

don't know where you plan on staying but Avignon has some very nice
accomodation and several top notch restaurants, If I knew your tastes in
hotels I could give a recommend.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter wrote:

> don't know where you plan on staying but Avignon has some very nice
> accomodation and several top notch restaurants, If I knew your tastes in
> hotels I could give a recommend.

Actually, if staying in that area I'd suggest Villeneuve Les Avignon
instead: charming town with some excellent accomodations and good
restaurants, and just across the river from Avignon. You can sing "Sur
la pont D'Avignon" the whole way across the river. :P

As for wineries to visit in CdP, the ones I've enjoyed:
Domaine du Pegau
Clos des Papes
Font de Michelle

Ch. de Beaucastel is also worth a visit, though it's a lot more
Californian in feel. Keep in mind that most wineries are run out of
people's homes, and it's the winemaker or a family member who will
receive you. Phoning ahead for a reservation is always advisable. With
the exception of Beaucastel and Pegau, expect to speak French.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:49:59 -0400
Mark Lipton > wrote:

[]
> restaurants, and just across the river from Avignon. You can sing "Sur
> la pont D'Avignon" the whole way across the river. :P

[]

O la la, professeur! Eet eez "le pont" parce que eet eez boy!

Interesting anthropological study we make een la France wiz
zis song, to know how zee ancien tradespeople "did it" in
zer time, which we do not deespise, and compare to how zee
courrant tradespeople "do it," of which we know from our
experience intime! Zo, we trace great currants of zee people
of le coq, which shows again ees importante to know boys
from girls.

Otherwise, I recommend a stop at Clos des Cazaux in Vacqueyras.
Very fine. Also one of the best Beaume de Venises is Dom. Durban,
which would be worth a visit for the gorgeous spot even if the
wine weren't terrific.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
news
Keep in mind that most wineries are run out of
> people's homes, and it's the winemaker or a family member who will
> receive you. Phoning ahead for a reservation is always advisable.
> With the exception of Beaucastel and Pegau, expect to speak French.
>
> Mark Lipton

I have found that such visits are the one's that produce the most
surprises. a few smiles sometimes bring out some dusty bottles of well
aged wines, sometimes not. The truly important thing is not the qulaity
of your French but the degree of appreciation shown and IMHO one need
not fawn over the mediocre just treat it with some respect and note the
truly better, the host will know the difference already and appreciate
your palate all the more for it.

Anothr thing, always be b=prepared to buy, you will have taken up a lot
of someone's time and except at the big places or formal tasting rooms
this often means the owners time. the best praise isn't magnifique!it is
"Je voudrais , une, deux etc."

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
. 97.136:

> Mark Lipton > wrote in
> news >
> Keep in mind that most wineries are run out of
>> people's homes, and it's the winemaker or a family member who will
>> receive you. Phoning ahead for a reservation is always advisable.
>> With the exception of Beaucastel and Pegau, expect to speak French.
>>
>> Mark Lipton

> I have found that such visits are the one's that produce the most
> surprises. a few smiles sometimes bring out some dusty bottles of well
> aged wines, sometimes not. The truly important thing is not the

qulaity
> of your French but the degree of appreciation shown and IMHO one need
> not fawn over the mediocre just treat it with some respect and note

the
> truly better, the host will know the difference already and appreciate
> your palate all the more for it.
>
> Anothr thing, always be b=prepared to buy, you will have taken up a

lot
> of someone's time and except at the big places or formal tasting rooms
> this often means the owners time. the best praise isn't magnifique!it

is
> "Je voudrais , une, deux etc."

Wow, does that sound pendantic? Who is this person that he should tell
the world how to act? oops, it was me sorry about getting on my high
horse.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:49:59 -0400
> Mark Lipton > wrote:
>
> []
>
>>restaurants, and just across the river from Avignon. You can sing "Sur
>>la pont D'Avignon" the whole way across the river. :P
>>

> []
>
> O la la, professeur! Eet eez "le pont" parce que eet eez boy!

Ack!!! Caught again by the ever-present gender issue. I *did* actually
think about it while writing that post, but in my dimly recollected
version of the song I heard la not le. I've probably mispronounced it
lo these many years...

> Interesting anthropological study we make een la France wiz
> zis song, to know how zee ancien tradespeople "did it" in
> zer time, which we do not deespise, and compare to how zee
> courrant tradespeople "do it," of which we know from our
> experience intime! Zo, we trace great currants of zee people
> of le coq, which shows again ees importante to know boys
> from girls.

I also read something about the fact that the original lyrics were not
"sur le pont..." at all, but that it mutated over the years.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 22 May 2006 07:51:17 -0500
Joseph Coulter > wrote:

> Joseph Coulter > wrote in
> . 97.136:

[]
> > of someone's time and except at the big places or formal tasting rooms
> > this often means the owners time. the best praise isn't magnifique!it

> is
> > "Je voudrais , une, deux etc."
> >

> Wow, does that sound pendantic? Who is this person that he should tell
> the world how to act? oops, it was me sorry about getting on my high
> horse.

That said it is a very frequent complaint that french winemakers have
about Americans. Everyone understands the problem with schlepping
bottles on the plane, but why not buy a bottle for a picnic? So the
logic goes, anyway.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
m:

> I also read something about the fact that the original lyrics were not
> "sur le pont..." at all, but that it mutated over the years.
>
> Mark Lipton

the question is not so much what they were doing on the bridge but UNDER
the bridge that gives a bit of scandal to the song.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Great minds think alike - we are indeed staying in Avignon. As I said
before, had hoped to stay at least one night at Les Florets in
Gigondas, but we are booked at Hostellerie les Frenes in Avignon, and
will drive from there to the wineries we wish to visit. Appreciate all
who have mentioned favorite wineries. We'll be focusing mostly on
Southern Rhone; Chateauneuf-du-Pape up through Gigondas - but will take
in some Northern Rhone (Hermitage, et al) on our way back to Burgundy.

Hoping that hotel is on your list "very nice" places - and would
appreciate restaurant recommends.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ric" > wrote in news:1148309450.261096.155260
@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hoping that hotel is on your list "very nice" places - and would
> appreciate restaurant recommends.

Your hotel is a bit out of the way from the center (or Villeneuve) where I
am more familiar. Avignon has about 5 or so one star restaurants, the only
one with which I am familiar (as in have eaten at) being the Europe which
is just inside the city walls and has closeby parking (my favorite hotel in
S. France by the way) a bit less pricy but very nice and an easy walk from
the parking near to the Europe are l'isle Sonnante and Le Fourchette.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ric" > wrote in news:1148309450.261096.155260
@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Great minds think alike - we are indeed staying in Avignon. As I said
> before, had hoped to stay at least one night at Les Florets in
> Gigondas, but we are booked at Hostellerie les Frenes in Avignon, and
> will drive from there to the wineries we wish to visit. Appreciate all
> who have mentioned favorite wineries. We'll be focusing mostly on
> Southern Rhone; Chateauneuf-du-Pape up through Gigondas - but will

take
> in some Northern Rhone (Hermitage, et al) on our way back to Burgundy.

I would definitely stop at Tournon/Tain l'Hermitage. Tournon is more
scenic but the big names are in Tain (Chapoutier, Jaboulet)

Vienne is also not to be missed from a touristic point.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Gigondas is only 3km from Vacqueyras and 8km from Beaumes de Venise.

And, if you have a little non-wine time, why not drive to the summit of
Mount Ventoux - at over 6,000 feet it dominates the landscape.

You will marvel at the strength (read insanity!) of Lance Armstrong et al
who race over that beast on bicycles.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Nils Gustaf Lindgren ha scritto:

> Hmmmm ... UNDER the bridge ... that would be a rock ballad with a slightly
> complicated guitar intro by the Red Hot CHili Peppers ...
>
> HTH
>
> Nils Gustaf

"..I don't ever want to drink like I did that day
take to the place I love, take me all the way.."

;-)

Luk

Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Nils Gustaf Lindgren ha scritto:
> "Luk" > skrev i meddelandet
>
>>Nils Gustaf Lindgren ha scritto:
>>

>>>Hmmmm ... UNDER the bridge ... that would be a rock ballad with a
>>>slightly complicated guitar intro by the Red Hot CHili Peppers ...
>>>
>>>HTH
>>>
>>>Nils Gustaf

>>"..I don't ever want to drink like I did that day
>>take to the place I love, take me all the way.."

> "Sotto il ponte" - I Peperoncini Rossi Bollenti ...

in fact this is the chorus of "under the bridge"...more or less

:-)

Luk
Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:

>> the question is not so much what they were doing on the bridge but UNDER
>> the bridge that gives a bit of scandal to the song.

> Hmmmm ... UNDER the bridge ... that would be a rock ballad with a slightly
> complicated guitar intro by the Red Hot CHili Peppers ...

Hmmm... Yes, it was formerly "sous le pont..." though I sincerely doubt
that the Medieval revelers were doing anything close to what Anthony
Kiedis was singing about in that song. For the record, a good
description of the origin and change of lyric can be found on wikipedia:

"In fact people would have danced beneath the bridge (sous le pont)
where it crossed a river island (the Ile de Barthelasse) on its way to
Villeneuve. The island was (and still is) a popular recreation spot,
where pleasure gardens once stood and folk dancing was a popular pastime
for many years. The bridge itself is far too narrow to have accommodated
dancers.

The song was originally composed by the 16th century composer Pierre
Certon, though with a very different melody to its present version and
under the more accurate title of "Sus (sic) le Pont d'Avignon". The
modern version only dates from the mid-19th century, when Adolphe Adam
included it in an 1853 operetta entitled l'Auberge Pleine. It was
popularised by an 1876 operetta which renamed the song, inaccurately,
'Sur le Pont d'Avignon.'"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_d'Avignon

Elsewhere, it is mentioned that the change was likely motivated by a
person who incorrectly interpreted "sous le pont" as meaning in the river.

Mark Lipton

Rhone Notes Bill S. Wine 0 27-02-2010 06:44 PM
Southern Rhone Dee Dovey Wine 11 25-12-2009 05:02 PM
TN: Rhone and Provence DaleW Wine 3 19-05-2008 10:00 PM
TN: GV, Saar Kab, Pomerol, Rhone, Rhone ranger from Paso Robles DaleW Wine 0 10-03-2008 01:09 PM
TN Rhone and three rogues John Taverner Wine 7 21-03-2006 12:27 PM