Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Assorted moderately priced wines -Schiava, Riesling, and Bdx blanc

Tuesday made a mushroom "risotto" (actually with barley ) accompanied
by a grilled-chicken salad with apples. I opened the 2003 Cantina
Nalles Magrè Schiava . Grapey and somewhat primary, a bit of
herbacousness. Good acidity keeps the fruit vibrant (due to vintage in
Europe in general, I was worried it might be flabby, but not a
problem). Ok. The following night (just recorked and refrigerated) it
had a more earthy sense to it, and the fruit seemed more
raspberry/cherry than grapey. An ok wine, but there are plenty of
Beaujolais I like better. But as a one-off from a vintage and a
producer that I have no idea if they are respected, it's good enough
that I'll look for another Schiava. B-

Used in cooking (but sampled as an apertif), the 2004 Ch.Haut-Rian
(Bordeaux AC) once again proves itself a QPR winner. Grassy SB flavors,
some lemony zip, clean if maybe short finish. But for $8 a very good
deal. B

With shrimp with Serranos and a very spicy "Southwestern grain medley"
for dinner Thursday, the 2004 Selbach-Oster Kabinett (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer,
AP# ends 024-05). Lime and slate over a backbone of acidity, good
concentration yet light and lively. Nice for an under-$15 Riesling.
B+/B