Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: '98 Pesquera

Not too long ago, I posted notes on the '98 Condado de Haza during which
I remarked that I found two bottles of the '98 Pesquera alongside it
with no notations in my database. Last night, in an effort to find a
wine suitable for braised shoulder of lamb Mediterranean style[1], I
opened one of the Pesqueras:

nose: initially reticent, upon aeration showing some pencil lead and
plummy fruit

palate: medium-full body, plenty of acid, silky tannins, deep fruit,
pencil lead, harmonious

This is still a young wine with very little secondary or tertiary aromas
yet apparent. It proved to be a very good match with the spicy lamb,
and bore more than a passing resemblance to a young Bordeaux (didn't
someone make that comparison before me? :P)

Mark Lipton

[1] A spur of the moment creation of mine. Recipe available on request.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 07 May 2006 23:23:57 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Not too long ago, I posted notes on the '98 Condado de Haza during which
>I remarked that I found two bottles of the '98 Pesquera alongside it
>with no notations in my database. Last night, in an effort to find a
>wine suitable for braised shoulder of lamb Mediterranean style[1], I
>opened one of the Pesqueras:
>
>nose: initially reticent, upon aeration showing some pencil lead and
>plummy fruit
>
>palate: medium-full body, plenty of acid, silky tannins, deep fruit,
>pencil lead, harmonious
>
>This is still a young wine with very little secondary or tertiary aromas
>yet apparent. It proved to be a very good match with the spicy lamb,
>and bore more than a passing resemblance to a young Bordeaux (didn't
>someone make that comparison before me? :P)
>
>Mark Lipton

Here's what I found in the '99 Pesquera, tasted August of '03 with a
paella at home:

I found it a bit “rubbery”, but it smoothed when open. Others said it
was best of the evening, served with paella. Rich, full-bodied, warm
dark fruit flavors. Bit of leather.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Friday Lunch Gruaud, Cos, Dominus, Talbot, Vatican, Pesquera Bill S. Wine 4 04-12-2011 03:09 PM
Pesquera and Bocci Bill S. Wine 12 17-07-2008 12:22 AM
Problems with Pesquera/Alenza/Condado [email protected] Wine 3 13-11-2007 12:00 PM
Pesquera, McCrea and La Chapelle Bill S. Wine 0 30-09-2005 03:03 PM
Brocard, Carillon, Chanson, Banfi, Pesquera... Bill Spohn Wine 0 17-07-2004 03:10 PM