Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Northern Rhones

Notes on a northern Rhone blind tasting dinner.

Rene Collard Brut Champagne Carte d'Or - a non vintage wine
although made from 1992 fruit, all old vines Pinot Meunier, aged on the
lees for 10 years, with no dosage when bottled. Showing some colour,
and an interesting mushroomy nose, ends very dry and with medium
length. Nice way to start.

2000 Patrick Lesec Cornas 'Le Vignon' - this was perhaps the most
Cote Rotie like Cornas I have tasted. Some violets and garrigue in the
nose, soft juicy and borderline elegant in the mouth with soft tannins
and medium length. Kept improving in the glass.

1999 Jean Luc Colombo Cornas Les Mejeans - a rubbery syrah nose, more
lush fruit than the previous wine and slightly better length.
Surprisingly forward, but with good backbone.

1999 Tardieu Laurent St. Joseph - sorry, I didn't see if this was
the regular bottling or Roches Vieilles. Notable black pepper nose,
lots of fruit and some perfume, but over all the wood was more evident
in this than in any of the other wines. Tannins starting to soften. A
tad ungenerous?

1991 Jen Luc Colombo Cornas 'Les Ruchets' - a single vineyard
wine that I've watched since release. Tar and gravel nose with good
fruit underneath, and excellent fruit on palate with good flavour
integration, long and sweet. This is now at peak.

1985 August Clape Cornas - corked, sadly, although it did show pretty
good fruit and a good whack of tannin. Should have been very good.
I'd pondered bringing a 96.

1995 Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne - I thought this wine was
showing exceptionally well. Roast meat bacon fat nose with some tar,
still pretty firm, but drinking well now, smooth and long. This maker
continues to perplex me with this wine. The 1990 and 1993 showed well
young, but don't seem to have lived up to their promise, while this
one may be the best of the three. I have some 90 lurking in the cellar
that I should revisit.

1983 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle - I tasted this early on and
bought the 1982 instead, which I slightly preferred but this bottle was
showing very well with a deep anise and mint nose, good rather ripe
fruit with a hint of orange in the finish. It did dry out with time in
the glass, a sign of advancing age (why is it that old wines dry out
while old winos do the opposite...?)

1991 Guigal Hermitage - this was a tight wine, not giving much up in
the nose and had a hint of TCA at the beginning. On the lean side in
terms of fruit, this is not going to improve from here.

1997 Guigal Cote Rotie Cote Brune et Blonde - quite ripe fruit in the
nose and a tad of stinkiness, along with some pepper. The tannins are
now soft, and the only jarring note in this wine was the high terminal
acidity that was a bit obtrusive even with the cheese.

The excellent meal to accompany these wines consisted of a cured pork
belly and lentils with mustard sauce (pork and beans?), a venison and
quail tart with port sauce (chicken pot pie?) and a beef shortrib a la
Provencale that was really memorable. All of the courses matched the
wines very well. Congratulations to the organiser and the restaurant
are in order. With the exception of one corked wine, all were good and
the company, food and evening were a real pleasure.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Bill S. wrote:

> 2000 Patrick Lesec Cornas 'Le Vignon'

> 1999 Jean Luc Colombo Cornas Les Mejeans

> 1999 Tardieu Laurent St. Joseph
>
> 1991 Jen Luc Colombo Cornas 'Les Ruchets'

Interesting notes, Bill. I think of all of the above producers as using
a lot of new oak in their wines, yet you only mention the oak in one.
Did you feel that the oak had integrated well, or were they not
noticeably oaky?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

The oak was not at all obtrusive, Mark.

American producers could take a lesson......

Posted to alt.food.wine

So, your opposed to oak juice? :-(

"Bill S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The oak was not at all obtrusive, Mark.
>
> American producers could take a lesson......

TN: Northern Rhones at Racines in NYC DaleW Wine 4 16-09-2015 07:54 PM
Northern Rhones Bill S. Wine 0 16-03-2011 02:15 PM
Northern Rhones Bill S. Wine 3 10-10-2009 01:19 AM
TN: Northern and Southern Rhones in Midtown DaleW Wine 6 16-12-2008 11:58 PM
Northern Rhones Bill Spohn Wine 6 25-08-2004 06:25 PM