Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Borgogno Grignolino with Indian chicken

Last night Betsy made "tandoori" chicken (we don't actually have a
tandoori oven, this was grilled) and an eggplant salad (with spinach,
feta, peppers,etc). I thought about off-dry white (Riesling or
Vouvray), but decided I wanted a lighter red with good acidity. I
headed downstairs with Bourgeuil or Beaujolais on my mind, but spotted
the 2004 G. Borgogno Grignolino d'Asti atop the drinking queue.

Bright fruit and bright acidity. Light and fresh, raspberry fruit with
lots of flowers on the nose. Very light tannins, a little bit of
peppery spice on the clean if-not-too-long finish. Not profound, but a
very nice food-friendly wine. B/B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2 May 2006 10:56:14 -0700, "DaleW" > wrote:

>Last night Betsy made "tandoori" chicken (we don't actually have a
>tandoori oven, this was grilled) and an eggplant salad (with spinach,
>feta, peppers,etc). I thought about off-dry white (Riesling or
>Vouvray), but decided I wanted a lighter red with good acidity. I
>headed downstairs with Bourgeuil or Beaujolais on my mind, but spotted
>the 2004 G. Borgogno Grignolino d'Asti atop the drinking queue.
>
>Bright fruit and bright acidity. Light and fresh, raspberry fruit with
>lots of flowers on the nose. Very light tannins, a little bit of
>peppery spice on the clean if-not-too-long finish. Not profound, but a
>very nice food-friendly wine. B/B+

A labeling I'm not familiar with beyond the "d'Asti" (which covers a
whole lot more than the spumante of cheap wedding toast renown.)

The description makes it something I'm definitely going to look for as
we enter the dog days of N. Texas summer...

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Where do you get Grignolino?

DaleW wrote:
> Last night Betsy made "tandoori" chicken (we don't actually have a
> tandoori oven, this was grilled) and an eggplant salad (with spinach,
> feta, peppers,etc). I thought about off-dry white (Riesling or
> Vouvray), but decided I wanted a lighter red with good acidity. I
> headed downstairs with Bourgeuil or Beaujolais on my mind, but spotted
> the 2004 G. Borgogno Grignolino d'Asti atop the drinking queue.
>
> Bright fruit and bright acidity. Light and fresh, raspberry fruit with
> lots of flowers on the nose. Very light tannins, a little bit of
> peppery spice on the clean if-not-too-long finish. Not profound, but a
> very nice food-friendly wine. B/B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Grignolino is a grape that makes good food-friendly light wines (in the
right hands). And nice at cellar temp, which is a plus as those summer
days approach!

Posted to alt.food.wine

I picked this up at Astor last month (astoruncorked.com), I think
Winelibrary.com also had. Crush (crushwineco.com) has the very good
Tavjin.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Surprised you found the wine in the US---they were with Banfi for ages, who
thought the wine was too off the wall to import---I had this fresh out of
the bottling line in 1985 lunching at Boschis' home(4 hours in all) in
Barolo--never liked the G wine before & after but this baby hit the spot mid
way through our marathon pranzo.
"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I picked this up at Astor last month (astoruncorked.com), I think
> Winelibrary.com also had. Crush (crushwineco.com) has the very good
> Tavjin.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> I picked this up at Astor last month (astoruncorked.com), I think
> Winelibrary.com also had. Crush (crushwineco.com) has the very good
> Tavjin.

I'm in Ohio. Are those available here?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Shockingly enough, I don't memorize the availabilty of wines I drink in
other states. But this is a Skurnik wine, you might try them
(http://www.skurnikwines.com) - they have good customer service.

TN: Grignolino, CA PN, Pfalz DaleW Wine 0 11-03-2009 06:05 PM
Another Grignolino DaleW Wine 0 07-02-2008 08:51 PM
TN: Grignolino and Touraine SB DaleW Wine 0 11-01-2008 06:27 PM
TN: G. Borgogno Barbera DaleW Wine 8 01-02-2007 04:28 AM
Giacomo Borgogno Barolo Riserva 1952? [email protected] Wine 0 18-05-2005 03:29 PM