Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mostly 03s, Burgs, Rhones and Bdx

Had some errands Saturday that put me near Zachys, stopped in and
tasted a few things while there. Usual disclaimers re store tastings
apply, though all of the pourers were giving decent pours::

2004 Domaine des Vercheres Macon-Villages
Crisp apple fruit, light chalky notes, pleasant simple white. Decent
value at $9. B/B-

2002 Bouchard "Beaune du Chateau" Blanc
Nice medium-bodied Burg, rich Chardonnay fruit with lots of minerally
notes, best buy of the day at $25. B+/A-

2002 Raphet Gevrey Chambertin
Not a familiar producer to me, and this one doesn't particularly want
to change that. Warm dark fruit, but a bit rough around the edges. B-

2003 Alex Gambal Volnay-Santenots
This is much better than I expect, with rather deep black cherry fruit
and long finish. Some oaky notes, but not enough it shouldn't
integrate. B+

2003 Giroud Vosne Romanee
Some spicy notes over very round red fruit. Sweet and forward, not bad
for early drinking methinks. B

2003 Chevillon Nuits St Georges
Slightly strange with citrus peel and strawberries on the nose, round
red fruit on palate. Not especially Chevillon nor NSG to my palate.
B/B-

2003 Chevillon "Les Pruliers" Nuits St Georges
The black fruit here seems more NSG than the village Chevillon, but I
can't say I regret not buying my favorite Nuits producer in 2003. Nice
black fruit, some earth, but tannins seem too prominent. B

2003 Raphet Clos de Vougeot
Sweet -nay, overripe- red fruit, hard tannins, low-acidity. No doubt
what vintage this one comes from.C+/B-

2003 Perrot-Minot Mazoyeres Chambertin VV
John calls this the "Pamela Anderson" of the tasting. I can see why.
Lush dark fruit, big but ripe tannins, very prominent sweet toasted oak
notes. This isn't my style of Burgundy, but this would be a knockout
for a lot of people. For me, B. But much better than that if this is
your style.

2002 Girardin Chambertin Clos de Beze
Good fruit, lots of body, meaty earthy nose, long finish. A little
heavy with the oak, but very good in a modern style. B+/A-

1999 Grivot Clos de Vougeot
Medium body, sweet dark fruit, earth, and mineral notes. B+

2005 Modoree Tavel Rose
Pleasant if unexciting rose. B-

2003 Perrin "Cuvee Prestige Vieilles Vignes" Cotes du Rhone
Too ripe for me, jammy and short. C+/B-

2003 St. Cosme Gigondas
Unlike the Valbelle, there's no apparent oak here. Mineral and
woodsmoke over a body of dark berry fruit. Ripe but structured, needs
time but nice. My only hestitation is the $30 pricetag, I remember not
long ago buying very fine Gigondas for $10-15. B+

2003 Fombrauge
Modern but with some structure, crushed ripe blackberries and vanilla.
A bit too sweet/ripe, but attractive as a drink-alone young. B

2003 De Fieuzal Rouge
Lots of fruit, but a little short on the finish. B-

2003 Langoa Barton
Ripe but not over the top, sweet dark fruit with slightly rough
tannins. Long finish. Needs time,but better than I expected. B+/B

Skipped a couple of CdPs

TN: SOBER at Dan's with fine Bdx, Burgs, Rhones, etc DaleW Wine 3 08-08-2011 06:38 PM
TN: SOBER drinks Burgs, Bdx, Rhones, and more DaleW Wine 0 08-03-2011 04:40 PM
TN: Great Burgs, Bubbles, Nebbiolo, Rhones w/SOBER DaleW Wine 1 06-08-2010 06:02 PM
Rhones, mostly Bill S. Wine 0 07-02-2010 08:12 PM
TN: couple of 101 year old ports, plus Rhones, Bdx, Burgs, etc DaleW Wine 5 04-11-2009 09:13 PM