Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Brun Brouilly and Cline Zin

I've liked Jean Paul Brun's 2004 L'Ancien and Fleurie, and the buzz on
both has grown, but I haven't heard a peep yet re the Cote de Brouilly.
Time to take one for the team. Upon uncorking, the 2004 Brun (Terres
Dorres) Cote-de-Brouilly comes across as a bit light. Pleasant though,
crisp and grapey. But as evening progresses this puts on weight in the
glass. What starts off as a bit slight deepens into a beautiful
Beaujolais, with black cherry and raspberry fruit over some stony
minerality. There's structure to let this last a while, but damn it's
good now. Time to get more of this. B+/A-

I spoke at a Lenten supper last night, then headed home for a late
supper of my own. Betsy made a great brisket recipe with onions and
raisins, sides of potato salad and broccolli. Wine was the 2002 Cline
Zinfandel (California). Sweet ripe red berry fruit, a little toasty
oak/vanilla note. A perfectly acceptable wine for under $10, but I
think the '99 Cline CA Zin has saddled me with unreasonably high
expections for this bottling. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the note on the Cline Zin, Dale. This is one that I haven't
gotten around to, yet. If it is a fruit bomb, it should suit me just
fine.

Dan-O <- likes fruity ANYTHING