Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: '99 GPL, '04 Donnhoff QbA

A 24 hour stomach bug hit me right as we were starting our dinner at
Triomphe Wednesday, it wasn't too bad at first but I ended up having to
leave some awfully good wine, and just taking my main course home.
Thursday I didn't feel like meat, but by Friday I was back to my usual
ravenous self. So I had my Triomphian coriander crusted lamb chops with
some leftover pasta, and opened a Bordeaux, the1999 Grand Puy Lacoste
(Pauillac). I wasn't thrilled with this on release, finding it a bit
empty, but this has really put on some nice weight in the last couple
years. There are still some apparent tannins, but they are ripe and
inobtrusive. A nice medium-bodied wine with food-friendly acidity,
pleasant blackcurrant fruit, and notes of earth and cedar. Decent
finish. This certainly isn't a blockbuster like the 1996 GPL, but a
very pleasant wine for drinking right now. A B+/B on my usual easy
scale.

Also, over several nights, the 2004 Dönnhoff Riesling QbA (Nahe).
Tropical fruit with just a hint of Granny Smith apple peel, , a bit
more fruit-forward than the structured 2002 & 2001, but with good crisp
acidity and a mineral finish. Apparent sweetness is well-balanced by
the acidity. Nice food-friendly wine, if not the must buy of the '01 &
'02. B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

WTN: Donnhoff, qpr Tuscan, and Hound wine DaleW Wine 4 23-09-2009 07:02 AM
TN: good not great Donnhoff DaleW Wine 4 01-08-2009 02:58 PM
WTNs: Old Donnhoff, young Donnhoff, in-between Donnhoff and a coupleof other wines Salil Wine 2 29-09-2008 03:49 PM
Donnhoff. Mmmm... Salil Wine 2 02-05-2008 05:49 PM
TN: '98 Chantegrive, '02 Donnhoff QbA DaleW Wine 0 15-06-2005 08:18 PM