FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/87990-ch-teau-kirwan-1986-a.html)

BsAsWino 07-04-2006 03:52 AM

Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux

This bottle has fallen into my possession. I have no clue as to its
provenance. The seal seems all right, no leakage and no apparent sign of
sediment.If it has been stored properly all these years or not, given what
little I know, what are the odds that it is still drinkable. Was it
something that would have cellared well?

atomsite 07-04-2006 08:20 AM

Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux

Why not just drink it and find out.

.. .

Hunt 07-04-2006 05:34 PM

Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux

In article >,
says...

>This bottle has fallen into my possession. I have no clue as to its
>provenance. The seal seems all right, no leakage and no apparent sign of
>sediment.If it has been stored properly all these years or not, given what
>little I know, what are the odds that it is still drinkable. Was it
>something that would have cellared well?

I had my last bottle of the '85 about 9 mos. ago and it was drinking
wonderfully. Almost every aspect was in good balance, and I'd guess that it
would have held at this point for years to come. I'll rummage my TNs and see
if I can come up with the ones on the Kirwan '85. I've not had the '86, so I'm
no help there.

I had planned on saving this last bottle as a "counter-point" for a
retrospective tasting - the Cabs of '85, featuring some of the darlings from
CA, but with a couple from other spots on the globe. Unfortunately, I have yet
to work out the logistics of that tasting, and gave into temptation on the
Kirwan.

If I find the TN's, I'll post 'em.

Hunt

BsAsWino 07-04-2006 06:48 PM

Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux

Thanks for the comments. Now I'm more encouraged to open it, although I'll
certainly decant it first to check for any sediment I've not noticed by
holding the bottle to a lamp. Sorry to be so "green", but I've very little
experience with French wines, let alone vintages that are older than some
of the French women I used to date when I was in college (quite some time
ago). I'm more of a New World wine drinker, esp. those originating in
Mendoza, San Juan and Cafayette.

Hunt 07-04-2006 08:42 PM

Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux

In article >,
says...

>Thanks for the comments. Now I'm more encouraged to open it, although I'll
>certainly decant it first to check for any sediment I've not noticed by
>holding the bottle to a lamp. Sorry to be so "green", but I've very little
>experience with French wines, let alone vintages that are older than some
>of the French women I used to date when I was in college (quite some time
>ago). I'm more of a New World wine drinker, esp. those originating in
>Mendoza, San Juan and Cafayette.

After decanting for sediment, this is one that I would allow to develop in my
glass over time. It can be nicely complex.

Don't expect the fruit-forward, as with a Mendoza Malbec, but rather like an
onion, layer, upon layer of wonderful nuances, each exposed to you over some
time. Don't hesitate to taste, set the glass down for some conversation, and
then come back to it in 15 minutes, or so.

Hunt

Uranium Cranium 07-04-2006 11:49 PM

Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux

"Hunt" wrote.....................

> Don't expect the fruit-forward, but rather like an onion

Myth, Myth, Myth

Only Italians make wine out of onions - perfect to accompany garlic
biscotti.

--

ItalianStallion

Hunt 08-04-2006 06:14 PM

Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux

In article >, says...

>Uranium Cranium wrote:
>> "Hunt" wrote.....................
>>
>>>Don't expect the fruit-forward, but rather like an onion

>> Myth, Myth, Myth
>>
>> Only Italians make wine out of onions - perfect to accompany garlic
>> biscotti.

>Scar-pity gets cloned into... the italian scallion!
>
>LOL
>

>--
>Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
>email link
http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

"The Italian Scallion!" Whew, Mike, glad I didn't have a mouthful of morning
coffee, as I'd be drying off the laptop right now. Good one.

Hunt