Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Haut-Medocs, Barbaresco, Amarone, Chardonnays, Spanish PN

Thursday Betsy made a delicous dish of cod with winter squash, finished
with a balsamic reduction. I served the 2002 Saintsbury "Brown Ranch"
Chardonnay (Carneros). Some oak and just a touch of butter on the nose,
but not overwhelming. Good acidity for CalChard, nice Bosc pear fruit
with a little lemon zest. A minerally edge to the finish. Nice, but a
little empty in the middle. However, retasted Friday it had filled out
a bit, and the oak had more fully integrated, a friend said it reminded
him of a village Puligny. I don't quite agree, but good wine. B/B+

Friday we had an early dinner before Betsy headed to city. Sugar snap
pea soup and farfalle with shrimp, scallops, saffron and ginger. I
opened a
2004 Moreau Chablis AC. Good clear Chardonnay fruit, clean and unoaked.
Good acidity, nice finish. I confess that even thought this was a good
wine I felt slightly disappointed- so many strong reports on 2004
Chablis, but I felt this was just a touch behind the excellent 2002. B

After Betsy left I went to a friend's home for the first meeting of my
local casual wine group since November. We got a fire going and sat
outside - a little cool, but first chance of the year. Wines were
served blind:

1999 Villadoria Barbaresco
Very tight upon decanting, it hadn't shown much more to me on serving a
couple hours later. Group did very well with guessing (my wine, I
didn't participate)- someone said Italian, then narrowed to Piedmont.
Lighter style of modern Nebbiolo, bright cherry fruit and a little
flowers and tar. Got better with time, others liked a lot, but I really
wasn't that impressed. At this price level I prefer the co-op. B/B-

Next wine was very ripe. From a bit of olive and underbrush I guessed
Rhone from a ripe vintage, but then blew it by suggesting St. Joseph or
Crozes. Fred said it was a Chateauneuf, the '03 Beaucastel. I was kind
of shocked, as it didn't remind me of Beaucastel. But when unveiled it
was actually the 2003 Perrin & Fils Chateauneuf-Du-Pape. Sweet red
fruit, a bit hot, and slightly short. But better than I expected with
some '03 Rhone reports. B-/B

Next wine was pretty easy to peg as tired Bordeaux. Flat blackcurrant
fruit, a hint of prunes, some leather. Storage conditions could have
contributed to the demise of the 1995 Barons de Rothschild Reserve
(Medoc), but I think this is really the kind of wine best drunk with
couple years of release. C

I really flailed around trying to get a grip on the next wine, but
really had no serious guesses. A little earth and ripe cherry fruit,
someone suggests Burgundy but this seemed more New World. At same time
it had the garrigue/underbrush note that made me think Rhone. Good
thing I didn't make a guess, 'cause Spanish Pinot Noir wouldn't have
been it (I should have gotten it, I'd tasted this before). The 1996
Torres Mas Boras was better than my previous experience, and almost a
contender for WOTN. B+/B

Next wine quickly drew a Bordeaux consensus- cassis fruit, some cedar
and leather, moderate tannins. A Bordeaux that needs some time, seemed
a tad closed down. We're right, it's a wine I'm not familiar with, the
2000 Larose- Perganson (Haut-Medoc). Nice medium-bodied claret, at a
slightly awkward stage, but assuming price was under $15 I'd buy
(winesearcher doesn't show, guy who brought is a Frenchman living in
Switzerland, former member who was visiting). B+

Last wine had a almost-porty nose, with figs and prunes. Some residual
sugar, though not at all dessert-ish. Some dark chocolate notes over
the ripe cherry and fig fruit. I guess a Valpolicella ripasso, and I
got the region right, it's the 2000 Gaso Amarone della Valpolicella.
I'm a little surprised, as this is texturally/structurally lighter than
I expect from Amarone, but it's a fun drink (and I'm glad it came
last). B+/B

Nice night with the guys. I felt pretty straight, but decided walking
home (my norm in this Dobbs Ferry group) was still the wisest.
Absolutely fabulous spring evening.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

TN: 1996 Medocs DaleW Wine 4 01-11-2016 04:17 PM
TN: Couple Haut Medocs, Muscadet, BdM, etc DaleW Wine 0 05-08-2014 05:49 PM
Three Chardonnays Bi!! Wine 2 09-12-2010 02:54 PM
TN: Haut Medocs, Barbaresco, Loire, Rheingau, CA, Graves DaleW Wine 0 15-11-2009 06:43 PM
Some older Chardonnays Jim Mehl Wine 7 09-11-2007 11:24 PM