Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Various, RAMBLING, wine questions from a newbie

OK...

I managed to locate a place that sells Pillar Box Red, bought a bottle, $11,
more than what was mentioned, but no big deal...

For those of you who can't recall the review that was posted...here it is...

=============== inserted text below =====================

Ok Hunt --- here's the wine jargon version for Pillar Box Red 8-) Approx
USD 8.00 - 9.00.

"A fabulous value, this 20,000 case blend, assembled by renowned Barossa
winemaker Chris Ringland, is composed of 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Shiraz,
and 11% Merlot, primarily from young vines. Ringland has rarely worked with
such huge quantities, but he kept the wine in tank with a little exposure to
American and French oak, bottled it unfined and unfiltered, and finished it
with a screw cap. It boasts luscious black currant fruit intermixed with
smoke, herbs, and cedar. Richly fruity, opulent, and medium to full-bodied,
it is one of the great wine bargains of the world. Consume it over the next
2-3 years." (WA)

"A blend of 57% cabernet, 32% shiraz and 11% merlot) Ruby red. Aromas of
smoky grilled meat, dark cherry, plum and licorice candy are lifted by
alcohol and show a distinctly herbal cabernet tone. Fat and broad in the
mouth, with sweet, candied berry, plum and cherry flavors complicated by
hints of cracked pepper and violet pastille. Finishes on a tangier, red
fruit note of cranberry, with no noticeable tannins." (IWC)

============== inserted text above ===============

OK...I was very excited to try this out, having read this newsgroup the last
few days, and "how to taste", etc....

I ended up being a little disappointed (not with the wine, though, I still
like it, a lot)...This was going to be my first little "project"...I was
taking notes, looking at color, smell, taste, clarity, etc.

First of all, I don't know what generic "herbs" smell like, nor
currant..candied berry, cherry, smokey meat...none of these were detectable
by me. Am I supposed to smell these or taste them (knowing that it all is
linked to smell anyway)....

My main thing I can not get over (and maybe it's a cheap wine thing),...when
I have a mouthfull of wine, and then breathe in...makes the wine "bubble",
the alcohol is overwhelming to me, to the point of, it's uncomfortable,
makes me cough, almost like inhaling rubbing alcohol...Is that the
reasonable way to "airate" wine to detect taste? Are better wines a little
bit more reasonable in this regard?

But here's my little SUCCESS! I smelled, and tasted, licorice. What I do
NOT know is, did I smell/taste it because I read a review that mentioned it,
or did I really taste it? As it went along (wine sat out longer, I went
back to taste it later), I could detect licorice more, or easier, but that
might again be because I was thinking abotu it, or, perhaps, because I had
already had a glass.

The question for me is, is this common, happens a lot, or do you have to
develop your taste somehow. I mean, I really tasted nothing (other than the
slight sweetness of the licorice)...

I think that the taste of the wine changed with how long it was opened
before I drank it, and also what I ate (or, maybe just because I ate)...

Gotta tell ya...I liked the wine, but the whole experience was a little bit
of a let down...I'm not going to stop trying, but, I'm a little
disappointed....

Jeff

Of course, I never found all of the flavors as described but really enjoyed
the wine. I was able to find the screw cap, thought. And I believe that the
OP already found the unfiltered part (sediment).

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default screwcaps (was Various, RAMBLING, wine questions from a newbie)

"Hunt" > wrote in message
> In article >, teacherjh@aol.
> nojunk.com says...
>>
>>> Stelvin is a type of screw-cap closure. While there are other brands of
>>> screwcap enclosures, Stelvin is probably near the Kleenex tm mode for

> tissues.
>>
>>How do they rate against one another (and against non-wine screwcaps?)
>>If I open a bottle and don't finish it, I usually rebottle it in a
>>smaller bottle and pump it down with VacUVin. But if I can fill it to
>>the tippy top and screwcap it, it should also keep nicely, no?
>>
>>Does the kind of screwcap matter? Can I use an old EVO (I just learned
>>that one) bottle with no ill effects?
>>
>>Jose

> I do not know the answers to either. Some in the group have much
> experience
> and knowledge regarding the various producers of screw-cap enclosures for
> the
> wine industry.

OK, in my limited knowledge, I had heard that screwcaps were a good
thing...corks could have that disease/bacteria/whatever that could ruin an
entire vintage, and recently have. I recall RH Phillips using screwcaps and
actually attaching a cork to the bottle, in a sense, letting their consumers
know that it was not a cost issue that they switched to screwcaps.

I have had problems with synthetic corks, specifically those from one brand,
which I don't remember now, ! I remember! Vendange...but I never buy it
anymore, that actually BROKE a corksrew I had gettign the damn cork out...

With regard to my fridge, I have no shelf low enough to put a bottle of wine
standing up in, so once i open something white up, I don't have place to
put it, so the screw top makes it VERY nice so that i can lay it down.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"JR" > wrote in
:

> it went along (wine sat out longer, I went
> back to taste it later), I could detect licorice more, or easier,

Once you identify a taste/smell it is certainly easier to find it again.
There are tasting kits out there that include all the smeels thaet you are
"supposed" to find in wines. To train the palate you use the keys and then
see if they were in the wine and if so how much so.

It is like hte butter taste, once you id it you will probably be able to
smell it before tasting. Cherry notes are like that for me. I can pretty
well (please I know I can be fooled from time to time) tell a PN with one
wiff.

I am just getting back to northern rhones and the smoky bacon thing that
goes on in Syrah from that region. Opened one last night and it was almost
too much of a good thing.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, jrich7970@hotmail.
com says...

>OK...
>
>I managed to locate a place that sells Pillar Box Red, bought a bottle, $11,
>more than what was mentioned, but no big deal...

[SNIP]
>OK...I was very excited to try this out, having read this newsgroup the last
>few days, and "how to taste", etc....
>
>I ended up being a little disappointed (not with the wine, though, I still
>like it, a lot)...This was going to be my first little "project"...I was
>taking notes, looking at color, smell, taste, clarity, etc.
>
>First of all, I don't know what generic "herbs" smell like, nor
>currant..candied berry, cherry, smokey meat...none of these were detectable
>by me. Am I supposed to smell these or taste them (knowing that it all is
>linked to smell anyway)....

Because our "taste" is extremely limited, most elements are actually part of
the olfactory sense, either through the nose or retro-nasal. Body and mouth-
feel (part of the experience) are really tactile sensations on the tongue and
in the mouth/palete.

>My main thing I can not get over (and maybe it's a cheap wine thing),...when
>I have a mouthfull of wine, and then breathe in...makes the wine "bubble",
>the alcohol is overwhelming to me, to the point of, it's uncomfortable,
>makes me cough, almost like inhaling rubbing alcohol...Is that the
>reasonable way to "airate" wine to detect taste? Are better wines a little
>bit more reasonable in this regard?

First thought - smaller amount of wine. Second thought - what temp did you try
the wine at. The old saw, "reds to be served at 'room' temp... " comes from
European "room temp," which is just above cellar temp of 55F. I usually bring
bigger reds up from the cellar and pour/decant at whatever the temp at the
time, probably ~60F. By the time that I fiddle with the wine, the temp is
probably ~65F, which is considered by many ideal for most reds. I'm asking
this because one of the problems that I find with warmer reds is that the
alcohol hits, big-time. In restaurants in the US, I find that I more often
need the old ice bucket for my reds, than for my whites, which often come out
at ~45F - far too cool in IMHO.

>But here's my little SUCCESS! I smelled, and tasted, licorice. What I do
>NOT know is, did I smell/taste it because I read a review that mentioned it,
>or did I really taste it? As it went along (wine sat out longer, I went
>back to taste it later), I could detect licorice more, or easier, but that
>might again be because I was thinking abotu it, or, perhaps, because I had
>already had a glass.

This is common. When tasting in a group, the power of suggestion can be very
powerful. Same when you have TN's in front of you. I try to purge my mind and
thoughts, and attempt to concentrate on what I think I actually find. It is
not uncommon for some tasters (or copywriters :-} ) to find things that others
cannot. I've had a recent situation, where everyone at the table found a
certain element, but it took me about four trys, and I was really digging as
deeply, as I could. I think that aeration and possibly temp may have been part
of the difference, but for three big "go's" at it, the element eluded me
completely. I also seem to find things that many others cannot. My wife thinks
that I make this sh*t up, but I do not. She often finds violet notes in reds,
that I can never find. Since she dislikes violets, I think she's "finding"
these elements so she doesn't have to finish the wine. Since she's my
designated driver, and the wines are usually well-aged Bdx, I always just take
her glass of "violets" away and finish it myself.

>The question for me is, is this common, happens a lot, or do you have to
>develop your taste somehow. I mean, I really tasted nothing (other than the
>slight sweetness of the licorice)...

It's more a recall of one's taste memory. The ability to associate particular
tastes/smells with prior experiences takes some practice. It's less a process
of developing one's tasting/smelling ability, as it is being able to associate
the stimuli with past experiences. Also, taking apart the smell in your mind
really helps - is it freshly cut apple, or cooked apple, or spiced apple? Hm-
m, what spice on the apple? Now, obviously some folk can smell much better
than others, and practice also does help. There are olfactory sensory kits
available to practice with. One is setup as a kind of board game. One, from
France, costs as much as a btl. of 1cr Bdx. A suggestion would be to pick up a
Tasting Wheel. It's done by Ann C Noble of UC Davis and has all sorts of data
on smells. Many wine shops sell them, and they are also available from UC
Davis.

>I think that the taste of the wine changed with how long it was opened
>before I drank it, and also what I ate (or, maybe just because I ate)...

Time does change wine in the glass, or decanter. This is basically what is
meant by letting the wine breath. With repeated swirling, you are aerating the
wine. Also, food will effect the wine, either for the better, or the worse.

>Gotta tell ya...I liked the wine, but the whole experience was a little bit
>of a let down...I'm not going to stop trying, but, I'm a little
>disappointed....
>

>Jeff

>Of course, I never found all of the flavors as described but really enjoyed
>the wine. I was able to find the screw cap, thought. And I believe that the
>OP already found the unfiltered part (sediment).

Sorry for the disapointment. One last thought - glassware. What glasses were
you tasting from? Glassware can have a major impact on what one senses from a
wine. I'm not talking about the anal retentive sales pitch for Riedel
Sommelier glasses (though I have some personal experiences to support some of
that), but about size, shape and thickness/shape of rim. I've done tests of
the same wine from totally different glasses and have gotten distinctly
different impressions.

Let us know how it goes,
Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> Marcello Fabretti wrote:
>>
>> I love the "idea" of terroir, but you have to give you're vines every
>> chance to express it, and that takes lots of trial and error, and
>> increasingly these days -- science.
>>
>> Marcello
>>
>> PS. I know, almost ad infinitum nauseamque... But that's a wrap!

> Interesting read Marcello. And a latinist to boot.

Gratias tibi ago, Tommasius Michaelis.

I. Fabrettius Marcellus

Terra Australis Incognita.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Hunt" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> jrich7970@hotmail.
> com says...

>>by me. Am I supposed to smell these or taste them (knowing that it all is
>>linked to smell anyway)....

>>the alcohol is overwhelming to me, to the point of, it's uncomfortable,
>>makes me cough, almost like inhaling rubbing alcohol...Is that the

> First thought - smaller amount of wine.

I'll try that.

> Second thought - what temp did you try
> the wine at.

Well, it was room temp, which means today (it was beautiful out!) about 70
degrees F. Much warmer than you're talking about.

>>But here's my little SUCCESS! I smelled, and tasted, licorice. What I do
>>NOT know is, did I smell/taste it because I read a review that mentioned
>>it,
>>or did I really taste it? As it went along (wine sat out longer, I went

> This is common. When tasting in a group, the power of suggestion can be
> very
> powerful. Same when you have TN's in front of you.

Well now you're making me wonder more. Certainly suggestion is a very
powerful thing. OK, fine...So how do these high-falutin' reviewer-type guys
come up with stuff. They're just experienced, and, of course, it's just
their opinion...And, its the same as, I guess, movie reviewers. If you read
a Roger Ebert movie review, go to the movie, and agree with him for the most
part, you'll trust his review of another movie. If you go to too many
movies and do NOT agree with Roger, you won't trust him for the next
one...I'm starting to get it.

> I've had a recent situation, where everyone at the table found a
> certain element, but it took me about four trys, and I was really digging
> as
> deeply, as I could.

I wonder if I would bother, by that point, other than it would just be fun
to try. if I didn't detect something, then I would just give up and move on
to the next wine. If it's that hard to detect something, then why continue.
And, if you say, you were digging as deeply as you could, then, yes, I can
see that suggestion might eventually put that taste into your mind.

> I also seem to find things that many others cannot. My wife thinks
> that I make this sh*t up, but I do not.

I believe you, and I'm sure that many of us who are married would believe
you. Both male and female out there. Men and women, and people, are
different.

> She often finds violet notes in reds,
> that I can never find. Since she dislikes violets, I think she's "finding"
> these elements so she doesn't have to finish the wine. Since she's my
> designated driver, and the wines are usually well-aged Bdx, I always just
> take
> her glass of "violets" away and finish it myself.

That's funny! And, by the way, I smell no violets in this wine I'm drinking
right now.

> It's more a recall of one's taste memory. The ability to associate
> particular
> tastes/smells with prior experiences takes some practice.

OK. I guess I'll practice, and enjoy the practicing while i do it!

> Now, obviously some folk can smell much better
> than others, and practice also does help.

Which also makes me wonder...are there any smokers that are also wine
officionados? I was never a smoker, I more of an active guy, marathon
runner and such, and don't want to make any judgements about other peoples
lifestyles, but some who I know who are EX-smokers tell me that when they
have stopped, things start tasting stronger. My wife quit smoking...um...14
years ago (in June), but we weren't really "serious" wine drinkers back
then, and has never really mentioned the taste thing, but I bet if I asked
her, she would say yes, things taste better now.

> There are olfactory sensory kits
> available to practice with.

Hmmmm. I wonder if, for me at least, if that's carrying things too far.
And, then, there's the suggestion thing again. Start smelling a card with
violets on it, and the wine is going to taste like violets! :-)

> Sorry for the disapointment.

I will survive. :-)

> One last thought - glassware. What glasses were
> you tasting from?

Well, it wasn't your standard, large red-wine type of glass, but it was
larger than a glass that you would see for white wine.

About 2 3/4 inches in diameter at the mouth of the glass. Larger than your
average glass. For example, when filled, my wife and I can only get about 3
1/2 glasses from a bottle, so it's a bit larger than most glasses. Not all
that thick, but not thin either. The lip of the rim is about double the
thickness of the rest of the glass. Nothing excessive. A totally
unremarkable glass except for the fact that tis a bit larger.

Of course, to do this tasting, I only put a small amount in anyway,
otherwise when I swirled it, it would have splashed out, so...

I realize that money is an issue, but the one and only tasting I was at, we
used clear plastic cups. No one seemed to mind...especially as the evening
rolled along. In fact, we were all quite happy that we all lived within
walking distance. :-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" skrev i melding

> Anders
> who seldom puts away anything but empty bottles... :-)

Ah yes, a man after my own heart ;-)

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "Anders Tørneskog" skrev i melding
>>
>> Anders
>> who seldom puts away anything but empty bottles... :-)

Me too, but even when I'm drinking an entire bottle of a white, I still like
to keep it cold while I'm doing it...

2 Newbie questions bobdrob Preserving 2 20-09-2007 01:33 PM
newbie questions, plum wine, just read a book Tater Winemaking 3 31-12-2006 11:35 PM
Newbie wine questions: Investing Vincent Wine 22 17-07-2004 09:28 PM
Newbie wine questions: Bordeaux Vincent Wine 1 12-07-2004 08:14 PM
Newbie questions about wine and alchohol making shiden_Kai Winemaking 2 02-02-2004 09:56 PM