Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 1998 Roc de Cambes

Betsy saw pheasant at Fairway Friday, knowing my fondness for gamebirds
she picked up one (like 3.5 lbs, big for pheasant). Sunday she made a
recipe from the d'Artagnan game cookbook, pheasant with Jack Daniels
(!?!?!). I was worried re wine matching, but it was fine. Cabbage is
cooked in a dutch oven, while the pheasant is browned in a skillet.
Then pheasant is nestled in cabbage (with pancetta over breast to keep
from drying) and roasted. Then (with bird removed) JD is added to
cabbage, then cream. It's not as bourbony as it sounds, makes for a
rather deep-flavored sauce/side. Sweet potatoes and green beans
accompanied.

Normally I think pheasant is a good match for mature Bordeaux, but I
was afraid of the sauce with a more delicate wine. So I opened the 1998
Roc de Cambes (Cotes du Bourg), a bottle I had gotten in a trade with
the generous Matt Richman recently. Mocha, baby, mocha. Rich chocolate
& coffee aromas over a nice base of plush and lush black plum fruit.
This could easily pass for a good Pomerol. Spice and smoke add to the
mix with time. Medium tannins, there's no hurry on this, but my guess I
wouldn't really enjoy it any more with more age. OK match with the
food, but this is a wine I'd probably be happiest with just enjoying
slowly over an evening. Thanks Matt! A-/B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Betsy saw pheasant at Fairway Friday, knowing my fondness for gamebirds
> she picked up one (like 3.5 lbs, big for pheasant). Sunday she made a
> recipe from the d'Artagnan game cookbook, pheasant with Jack Daniels
> (!?!?!). I was worried re wine matching, but it was fine. Cabbage is
> cooked in a dutch oven, while the pheasant is browned in a skillet.
> Then pheasant is nestled in cabbage (with pancetta over breast to keep
> from drying) and roasted. Then (with bird removed) JD is added to
> cabbage, then cream. It's not as bourbony as it sounds, makes for a
> rather deep-flavored sauce/side. Sweet potatoes and green beans
> accompanied.
>
> Normally I think pheasant is a good match for mature Bordeaux, but I
> was afraid of the sauce with a more delicate wine. So I opened the 1998
> Roc de Cambes (Cotes du Bourg), a bottle I had gotten in a trade with
> the generous Matt Richman recently. Mocha, baby, mocha. Rich chocolate
> & coffee aromas over a nice base of plush and lush black plum fruit.
> This could easily pass for a good Pomerol. Spice and smoke add to the
> mix with time. Medium tannins, there's no hurry on this, but my guess I
> wouldn't really enjoy it any more with more age. OK match with the
> food, but this is a wine I'd probably be happiest with just enjoying
> slowly over an evening. Thanks Matt! A-/B+

Nice note, Dale. We too like the Roc de Cambes for the simple, fun
thing that it is. One question: did your pheasant actually *taste* like
a game bird? I ask because the ones we can get at Whole Paycheck don't
really taste any gamier than the Amish chickens we can get locally (and
far cheaper).

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in news:e09rt3$c2d$1
@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu:

> Nice note, Dale. We too like the Roc de Cambes for the simple, fun
> thing that it is. One question: did your pheasant actually *taste* like
> a game bird? I ask because the ones we can get at Whole Paycheck don't
> really taste any gamier than the Amish chickens we can get locally (and
> far cheaper).
>
> Mark Lipton

Certainly is true of the birds we get here in Florida, raised and grain fed
I am sure in Wisconsin

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
. 97.136:

> Mark Lipton > wrote in news:e09rt3$c2d$1
> @mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu:
>

>> Nice note, Dale. We too like the Roc de Cambes for the simple, fun
>> thing that it is. One question: did your pheasant actually *taste*
>> like a game bird? I ask because the ones we can get at Whole
>> Paycheck don't really taste any gamier than the Amish chickens we can
>> get locally (and far cheaper).
>>
>> Mark Lipton
>>

> Certainly is true of the birds we get here in Florida, raised and
> grain fed I am sure in Wisconsin

Which go very well with Chablis as there is nothing gamey or red wine about
them, we roast them like we would a Cornish game hen but the Pheasant is
milder, and the meat whiter.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark, this was a d'Artagnan bird (pretty sure a cock). I'm sure it was
farm-bred, and as such not as gamey as the Scottish birds they sell in
the fall, they are certainly gamier than any chicken I've tasted
(especially the legs).

TN: 1998 Graves DaleW Wine 0 19-03-2007 07:41 PM
TN: Cd release party- Roc de Cambes, '94 Puligny, Malbec, many cheapies DaleW Wine 1 30-10-2006 07:43 PM
TN: 1999 Roc de Cambes DaleW Wine 0 01-02-2006 08:59 PM
1998 Chardonnay Tom S Wine 0 25-04-2005 01:30 AM
TN: '95 Roc des Cambes Mark Lipton Wine 0 29-11-2004 06:29 AM