Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Ageing Barlo and Barbaresco?

Hello everybody,

as I am rather underwhelmed with some Piemontese wines that I left in the
cellar for about a 6 years, I wonder if other contributors to this NG share
my impression.

Among those wines tasted recently, there was

Barbaresco 1997 Coparossa, Bruno Rocca (RP 90+ points, drink now-2013)

Barolo Vigna del Gris 1997, Conterno Fantino (RP 93 points, 2004-2020, tre
bicchieri in Gambero Rosso)

Not that those wines were flawed, they were just unexciting and especially
the Barolo had a bit too much (volatile?) acidity for my palate.

IMHO cellaring of many Italian wines - esp. Tuscany and Veneto - is a very
worthwile exercise, so I am a bit intrigued by the Piemontese. Or am I just
expecting too much?

Thanks for sharing your impressions with me

Yves

Posted to alt.food.wine

The wines you had are reliable wines but made under "modern" conditions,
less time on the skins, smaller cooperage, more fining & filtering. This
style was pioneered by Ratti, Vietti, Aldo Conterno, Ceretto in the early
1980's. At 7 years a traditionally made barolo/barbaresco would become
approachable, a modern styled wine should be at its peak. Tannic wines go
through stages whether they be from Bordeaux or Piedmont. Some people refer
a wine that shows little as being in a "dumb" stage. Italian wines in
general have more VA then those from elsewhere. Some of Quintarelli's wines
from Verona virtually jumped out of the bottles in the 80's--ie the corks
were pushed out. Going from Italy to another country in tasting emphasizes
the disparity in the amount of VA. If you do not like that level of VA ask
your merchant for some with less VA or move on.

Please note that the Dan Quayle Society has objected to the indiscriminate
use of the word "dumb" as have several groups involved with hearing problems
and loss of body functions. Using that word it was not my purpose to demean
anyone. I understand the Association of Wine Writers has commissioned a
study in conjunction with the Department of Defense to review words like
"dumb" and "smart"(as in smart bombs). The NEA has objected to this study
on an ipso facto premise. More later..........
"Yves" > wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
>
> as I am rather underwhelmed with some Piemontese wines that I left in the
> cellar for about a 6 years, I wonder if other contributors to this NG

share
> my impression.
>
> Among those wines tasted recently, there was
>
> Barbaresco 1997 Coparossa, Bruno Rocca (RP 90+ points, drink now-2013)
>
> Barolo Vigna del Gris 1997, Conterno Fantino (RP 93 points, 2004-2020, tre
> bicchieri in Gambero Rosso)
>
> Not that those wines were flawed, they were just unexciting and especially
> the Barolo had a bit too much (volatile?) acidity for my palate.
>
> IMHO cellaring of many Italian wines - esp. Tuscany and Veneto - is a very
> worthwile exercise, so I am a bit intrigued by the Piemontese. Or am I

just
> expecting too much?
>
> Thanks for sharing your impressions with me
>
> Yves

Ageing and Fruit Wines mhorlick Winemaking 8 03-09-2008 09:39 PM
Look Great By Ageing Well [email protected] General Cooking 3 27-12-2006 02:37 PM
Pinot Noir Ageing Joe Wine 12 15-11-2005 01:36 PM
The mystery of ageing wine? Matija Grozni Wine 19 09-10-2004 01:09 PM
Magnetic Ageing of Wine Al Kaufmann Wine 33 02-06-2004 09:17 AM