Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Blanc de Noirs question

Can anyone enlighten me about any rules governing what can be called
"blanc de noirs" Champagne (or sparkling wine)? Since all but Blanc de
Blancs contains Pinot Noir and/or Pinot Meunier, must a BdN lack any
Chardonnay? Is there an upper limit to the amount of Chardonnay that
can be in a BdN? And is there any difference in encepagement between
BdN and rosé Champagne?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in news:1141685497.891679.128890
@j52g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

> Epicurious defines Blanc de Noirs as Champagne made from Pinot Noir
> with only brief skin
> contact.http://www.epicurious.com/drinking/w.../entry?id=5543

Tom Stevenson's 2003 Champagne & Sparkling Wine Guide (the last one?) says
"In the New World, blanc de noirs (white wine made from black grapes) can
be various shades, but in Champagne the skill is to produce as clear a wine
as possible from Pinot Noir or Meunier, and the most famous is Bollinger's
Vieilles Vignes Françaises."

I have a preference for blanc de noirs (or should it be blancs de noir?),
is there any site that says which Champagnes are which?
d.

Posted to alt.food.wine

enoavidh wrote:

> I have a preference for blanc de noirs (or should it be blancs de noir?),
> is there any site that says which Champagnes are which?

Normally, it'll say on the label, De. Thanks for the info, too.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

enoavidh wrote:
> Mark Lipton > wrote in
>
> > enoavidh wrote:
> >
> >> I have a preference for blanc de noirs (or should it be blancs de
> >> noir?), is there any site that says which Champagnes are which?

> > Normally, it'll say on the label, De. Thanks for the info, too.
> >

> Aw, Mark, that wasn't what I wanted to hear! If I can't get the bottle in
> hand, I won't be able to read it!

Here is a list with Champagne at the top and other sparklers at the
bottom. You may have to take a trip to Europe or the US to find some of
these. This list should keep you quite busy hunting and tasting for a
long time.

Tesco Blanc de Noirs Champagne (UK French house brand)
Charles Lafitte Blanc de Noirs
Drappier, Brut Nature(Bl de Noir), Champagne
De Venoge BLANC de NOIRS NV Champagne
Pommery WINTERTIME Blanc de Noirs Champagne Champagne
Canard-Duchene GRANDE CUVEE CHARLES VII Blanc de Noirs Champagne
Champagne E. Barnaut Brut Blanc de Noirs
Champagne Billecart-Salmon Blanc de Noirs
Champagne Louis Dousset Blanc de Noirs 6 ans
Déthune Blanc de Noirs NV
NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Blanc De Noirs
Jean Laurent Champagne Blanc de Noirs
Egly - Ouriet - Vieilles Vignes Blanc de Noirs, Champagne
Jolly R. - Brut Blanc de Noirs,Champagne
Champagne Perrot-Boulonnais fils : Blanc de noirs
Charles Orban Blanc De Noirs NV
Chanoine Blanc De Noirs Champagne
Bruno Paillard Blanc de Noirs Brut Vintage 1973

Dom. Chandon NV Blanc de Noirs Champagne
Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs, Sparkling Wine (champagne)
Iron Horse 2002 Wedding Cuvee Champagne

Bubbly Champagne from Iron Horse California. Our Blanc de Noirs, made
from predominately Pinot Noir, with a beautiful, pink-gold color which

Mumm Cuvee Napa Blanc de Noirs
Domaine Ste Michelle Blanc De Noirs NV
S Anderson Blanc de Noirs '99
Korbel Champagne Cellars Blanc de Noirs
NV Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs Brut Sonoma County
Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs 2000
Domaine Ste. Michelle Columbia Blanc de Noir
Gruet NV Blanc de Noirs
Frank Family Vineyards Champagne, Blanc de Noir

Posted to alt.food.wine

"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Here is a list with Champagne at the top and other sparklers at the
> bottom. You may have to take a trip to Europe or the US to find some
> of these. This list should keep you quite busy hunting and tasting for
> a long time.

<snippers>

Oh, thank you cwdjr! I've had a couple of these, and I know some others
are available in Pennsylvania. The Mumm Cuvee Napa is a favorite
"everyday" sparkler...especially when it's on sale
Of the Champagnes, I think the Jean Laurent is the only one I've had. Or
maybe that was a Rose?

I think I'm going to be out of luck with the Tesco one

But - much obliged!
d.