Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wine Dinner

Our local wine bar the Winehouse in Norfolk, VA had a winemaker dinner
for X Winery from Napa.

Since winemaker dinners are few and far between here I had to try it.

I have only had a sip or one of their wines before so I wasn't familiar
at all. The Winehouse has some excellent tastings and meals so why not.

To say disappointed would be an understatement.

First of the winery philosophy is strictly economic. This was based on
an MBA thesis proposal. I'm not 100% sure what they own, what they make
or what they have made. It was all very confusing. The only wine
development description gave was of their 2004 Sauvignon Blanc all about
leaving it on the lees longer and stirring the lees and not allowing any
secondary fermentation. So, somewhat tropical nose, short finish,
indistinct taste and good mouth feel. With a salad with goat cheese
croquet and citrus dressing

Second course an Amuse Bouche of crabbed stuffed mushroom, polenata with
a Poblano chile, a strudel with vegetables. The 2003 Chardonnay, best I
can say was that it wasn't oaky. Citrus nose maybe a little clean lemon,
again short finish, good mouth feel but didn't linger.

Third course a rissoto of cremini mushrooms with braised pork shanks
topping it. The only good wine of the group was 2002 X-Blend of Cabernet
Sauvignon and 2 different Syrahs. Very interesting nose of cherrries,
little blackberry, sweet finish that was long and very cherry and great
mouth feel and at $13 per bottle a good deal though it is an atypical
wine.

Fourth course Duck legs in blood orange sauce with purple lyonnaise
potatoes, and carrots. 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon. Barely drank this wine.
It was simply grapey with little varietal character. Can't say too much
as I reserved the X-blend to finish with the duck and asked for more as
it was a better match.

Finally a sort of dessert with Marscapone cream and Gorgonzola cheeses
blended and semi-fredo. A 2003 Syrahtica. A blend of several different
syrahs. OK, nothing exciting cherry nose and finish but not much other
syrah characteristics. Actually, looking back the X-blend wasn't
characteristic of anything either.

This is what a business model produces. Artless wines to seel fairly
inexpensively. Only the Cab was $20 and everything else less. Not my
first choice for a wine dinner so I was very disappointed in the event.

Wine Dinner last night Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 3 29-01-2016 09:29 PM
Drinks before dinner and wine with dinner... maxine in ri General Cooking 20 08-09-2009 07:13 AM
Wine Dinner for a Friend Bill S. Wine 2 25-05-2009 05:21 PM
Steele wine dinner jcoulter Wine 1 27-05-2005 08:33 PM
Help needed - U.S. Red Wine Dinner Hunt Wine 4 23-03-2005 12:52 AM