Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Serious reds SFWS Feb tasting

Solihull Fine Wine Society February Tasting

Serious reds by Mike, blind as usual. All wines same vintage, so we had to
spot both wines and vintage, All 1995

Marsannay Les Longeroies Denis Mortet (RIP)
Poignant as Denis shot himself on 30 January, he had suffered from
depression for some time.
Mature burg robe, organic and spice, really opened up after an hour. Soft
entry all in balance, a good pinot mouthful, drinking now.

Cornas Dom St Pierre, Jaboulet. Bit dull, nose of paint stripper, a bit
stewed, this blew off , but I thought it could be a duff bottle, everyone
else plumped for a light Hermitage. I thought it was dried out but was told
that was the style....well he can keep it!

Muntada Dme Gauby, Cotes du Rouissillon. Huge depth and extract, a massive
attack of menthol and eucalyptus, verry complex. A mouthful of fruit and
tannin, but serious undertones. Wonderful in 5 years, yet approachable now.
Most thought "boutique" cab fro Calif. The encepage is Grenache and Syrah.
Expensive at GBP35

Roda 1 Reserva Rioja, A deep bright wine with a wonderful organic woody
pencil nose, restrained. So delicate on the palate, soft spicy fruit,
classic claret say my notes.....if this is new style Rioja, lets have more,
not cheap at GBP32

d'Angludet, hint of brown ,bright, armpitty margaux nose chocalates and wet
paper. Soft fruit and spice yet finishes mean....going over?

Carmenet Moon Mountain Reserve Cab Sauv, youthful purple edge, deep red.
Cassis and spice alcohol, complex and very dumb, pure raw cab. Mouth
puckering tannin, but so much structure and fruit. Opened up in glass, but
will be great. My first try of the wine. Very impressed.

Grand Puy Lacoste, port like with hint of purple. Sublime spice and
blackcurrants, pencils minty cedar. Palate of raw fruit and tannin,
wonderful but infanticide now. Most of us wanted some for our cellars. A
real class act.

Leoville Barton. Lighter than the GPL, with a tighter nose, pauillac I
thought, totally unbalanced at the moment, too toung, but I want some, try 5
years. Barton is really on a role and is a true super second now.

This tasting really was difficult, I plumped for 2000 as did most. But the
95 Claret is to die for except the Angludet.

Carmenet Moon and the Muntada were really show stoppers and get my big rec.

JT

Posted to alt.food.wine

Argh - now you have me worried about my Jaboulet Cornas.
I may have to open a bottle rather than agonising over whether or not
it really tastes like yours did.
You are a bad influence, contributing to wine drinking like that, John!

TN SFWS October tasting JT Wine 1 14-10-2009 02:54 PM
TN SFWS August tasting John T Wine 0 15-08-2007 12:01 PM
TN St Estephe SFWS tasting John Taverner Wine 9 13-01-2006 04:34 PM
TN SFWS worst ever tasting John Taverner Wine 6 12-10-2005 10:38 PM
TN claret SFWS Nov tasting John Taverner Wine 8 14-11-2003 04:38 AM