Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Oz wines tasted this week

Red Hill Estate Blanc de Noirs 2001 - up to $26 Mornington Peninsula,
Victoria. A white bubbly made from the black grapes pinot noir and pinot
meunier - hence the name. As you might expect this pale wine has a faint
blush - from minimal skin contact. The bouquet reminds me of a kitchen where
you have just taken a loaf from the oven and you have a saucepan of
raspberry conserve bubbling away on top of the stove: mouth watering. The
palate is refreshingly light with flavours of strawberry shortcake leading
to a mid-dry finish. Delicious.

Kirrihill Estates Sauvignon Blanc 2005 - up to $18 Adelaide Hills, South
Australia. Ripe aromas of dried pears and tropical fruits on the nose. In
the mouth lychees and pineapple flavours feature and are supported by mild
acidity. Ideal current drinking.

Rutherglen Estates Marsanne2005 - around $18 Rutherglen, Victoria. A complex
nose of citrus and French vanillin oak. Unexpectedly full and rich on the
palate showing mature fruit with upfront oakiness. Would go well with pasta
entrées.

Lindemans Bin 0581 Hunter Valley Chardonnay 2005 - up to $20 Anyone talking
classic Australian wines will recall the Lindemans bin numbered Hunter
Valley wines of the '50s, '60s and '70s. They used to make a wonderful
non-botrytised semillon, a so-called Sauternes, which lasted for decades in
the cellar. This wine is a wonderful melange of stone fruit, lemon, sweet
understated oak and integrated acid that leaves you licking your lips and
demanding another glass.

Stonier Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir 2004 - $23 Pleasing nose dominated
by maraschino cherry notes. A fine expression of pinot noir grapiness,
strawberries, cherries, a tad of leafiness and beautiful cutting acidity.
One for the main course at dinner.

Mount Avoca Merlot 2001 - $20 This bottle had one of those corks with
membrane at each end designed to separate the wine from the cork and thereby
preclude the possibility of cork taint. Unfortunately the wine had snuck
past the membrane and had leaked through to the other end. Fortunately the
wine was not corked. It shows pleasant blackberry fruit on the nose with a
hint of perfume reminiscent of eucalypt. A medium-weighted style showing
warm climate berries with a savoury edge, drying tannins and firmness at the
finish.

Hanging Rock Rowbottoms Shiraz 2003 - up to$33 Heathcote, Victoria. Deep
purple to black hues. Dusty inky nose. Too young to drink yet - full of
boisterous juicy grapes, astringent tannins and forward acidity. All these
elements though are in proper proportion and will reward keeping for up to
eight years. If you must try it now serve with well-seasoned, full-flavoured
dishes.

Baileys 1920s Block Shiraz 2003 - up to $35 Glenrowan, Victoria. Mulberries,
dustiness and anise on the nose. Full-on plummy fruit features in this
mouth-filling style. On the palate there is more liquorice allsorts anise,
plus grippy tannins and fruit concentration that lasts and lasts. Will drink
well to 2011.

Cheers!
Martin

http://www.alsopreview.com/columns/col_australia.htm

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:20:07 +1100, "Martin Field"
> wrote:

>Red Hill Estate Blanc de Noirs 2001 - up to $26 Mornington Peninsula,
>Victoria. A white bubbly made from the black grapes pinot noir and pinot
>meunier - hence the name. As you might expect this pale wine has a faint
>blush - from minimal skin contact. The bouquet reminds me of a kitchen where
>you have just taken a loaf from the oven and you have a saucepan of
>raspberry conserve bubbling away on top of the stove: mouth watering. The
>palate is refreshingly light with flavours of strawberry shortcake leading
>to a mid-dry finish. Delicious.
>

>Kirrihill Estates Sauvignon Blanc 2005 - up to $18 Adelaide Hills, South
>Australia. Ripe aromas of dried pears and tropical fruits on the nose. In
>the mouth lychees and pineapple flavours feature and are supported by mild
>acidity. Ideal current drinking.

Great to see Adelaide Hills producing excellent SB's, (Shaw & Smith
comes to mind), as the WA's (Margaret River & Great Southern GI's)
have had it their way for too long...:>)

>Rutherglen Estates Marsanne2005 - around $18 Rutherglen, Victoria. A complex
>nose of citrus and French vanillin oak. Unexpectedly full and rich on the
>palate showing mature fruit with upfront oakiness. Would go well with pasta
>entrées.
>

>Lindemans Bin 0581 Hunter Valley Chardonnay 2005 - up to $20 Anyone talking
>classic Australian wines will recall the Lindemans bin numbered Hunter
>Valley wines of the '50s, '60s and '70s. They used to make a wonderful
>non-botrytised semillon, a so-called Sauternes, which lasted for decades in
>the cellar. This wine is a wonderful melange of stone fruit, lemon, sweet
>understated oak and integrated acid that leaves you licking your lips and
>demanding another glass.

HV Sem's just have to be my favourite white wines. I continually buy
Sem's, knowing they rarely sell, so the cellar is always boasting
10-15 year old Tyrells Vat 1 and Belfords. Aussies don't seem to
appreciate these wines, grown in their own backyard.

>Stonier Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir 2004 - $23 Pleasing nose dominated
>by maraschino cherry notes. A fine expression of pinot noir grapiness,
>strawberries, cherries, a tad of leafiness and beautiful cutting acidity.
>One for the main course at dinner.
>

>Mount Avoca Merlot 2001 - $20 This bottle had one of those corks with
>membrane at each end designed to separate the wine from the cork and thereby
>preclude the possibility of cork taint. Unfortunately the wine had snuck
>past the membrane and had leaked through to the other end. Fortunately the
>wine was not corked. It shows pleasant blackberry fruit on the nose with a
>hint of perfume reminiscent of eucalypt. A medium-weighted style showing
>warm climate berries with a savoury edge, drying tannins and firmness at the
>finish.
>

>Hanging Rock Rowbottoms Shiraz 2003 - up to$33 Heathcote, Victoria. Deep
>purple to black hues. Dusty inky nose. Too young to drink yet - full of
>boisterous juicy grapes, astringent tannins and forward acidity. All these
>elements though are in proper proportion and will reward keeping for up to
>eight years. If you must try it now serve with well-seasoned, full-flavoured
>dishes.

Hasn't Heathcote grown Shiraz become the 'must have' ingredient in the
Shiraz market. Growers in that neck of the woods believe it's
Christmas time...permanently. Yes I agree, they age exquisitely also.

>Baileys 1920s Block Shiraz 2003 - up to $35 Glenrowan, Victoria. Mulberries,
>dustiness and anise on the nose. Full-on plummy fruit features in this
>mouth-filling style. On the palate there is more liquorice allsorts anise,
>plus grippy tannins and fruit concentration that lasts and lasts. Will drink
>well to 2011.

Both the 1920's and 1904 block Shiraz' are serious wines, and seem to
age forever. 98's and 99's of both wines still have enough to suggest
they could improve even more. Delightful juice!!

That sounded like a ripper session Martin. You have made me
thirsty...:>)

hooroo...

>Cheers!
>Martin
>
>http://www.alsopreview.com/columns/col_australia.htm

Posted to alt.food.wine

Great to see the OZ contingent posting again.

Wot - no more tennis to watch?

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

Matt S wrote:

>>Hanging Rock Rowbottoms Shiraz 2003 - up to$33 Heathcote, Victoria. Deep
>>purple to black hues. Dusty inky nose. Too young to drink yet - full of
>>boisterous juicy grapes, astringent tannins and forward acidity. All these
>>elements though are in proper proportion and will reward keeping for up to
>>eight years. If you must try it now serve with well-seasoned, full-flavoured
>>dishes.

> Hasn't Heathcote grown Shiraz become the 'must have' ingredient in the
> Shiraz market. Growers in that neck of the woods believe it's
> Christmas time...permanently. Yes I agree, they age exquisitely also.

Thanks for the notes Martin. I really enjoy it when you [and anyone
else] posts Aus wine notes.

And swooper, I've fallen in love with Heathcote. The durif, the shiraz
and even the cab sav really float my boat. I'm pretty sure there is even
a $10 Hanging Rock cab sav at Dan Murphy's that I quite enjoyed. No one
else I know so far has, but I liked it. The shiraz IIRC of the same
range was much more expensive.

http://www.hangingrock.com.au/index.asp

Many great value wines [out of Heathcote]. And plenty of cleanskins around.

Often too forward in style for a lot of ppl I guess, but its right up my
alley.

With the right marketting the next Barossa maybe? For me there are
certainly some parallels.

Mat.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 05:23:55 +1100, Mat <Ask@me> wrote:

>Matt S wrote:
>

>>>Hanging Rock Rowbottoms Shiraz 2003 - up to$33 Heathcote, Victoria. Deep
>>>purple to black hues. Dusty inky nose. Too young to drink yet - full of
>>>boisterous juicy grapes, astringent tannins and forward acidity. All these
>>>elements though are in proper proportion and will reward keeping for up to
>>>eight years. If you must try it now serve with well-seasoned, full-flavoured
>>>dishes.

>> Hasn't Heathcote grown Shiraz become the 'must have' ingredient in the
>> Shiraz market. Growers in that neck of the woods believe it's
>> Christmas time...permanently. Yes I agree, they age exquisitely also.
>>

>Thanks for the notes Martin. I really enjoy it when you [and anyone
>else] posts Aus wine notes.
>

>And swooper, I've fallen in love with Heathcote. The durif, the shiraz
>and even the cab sav really float my boat. I'm pretty sure there is even
>a $10 Hanging Rock cab sav at Dan Murphy's that I quite enjoyed. No one
>else I know so far has, but I liked it. The shiraz IIRC of the same
>range was much more expensive.
>
>http://www.hangingrock.com.au/index.asp

It has a long long way to go to up Rutherglen for long keeping
Durifs...... and can't see them threatening Coonawarra or Margaret
River for Cabs...but their Shiraz... now thats a different ball
game...:>)

hooroo...

>Many great value wines [out of Heathcote]. And plenty of cleanskins around.
>

>Often too forward in style for a lot of ppl I guess, but its right up my
>alley.
>

>With the right marketting the next Barossa maybe? For me there are
>certainly some parallels.
>

>Mat.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Matt S wrote:

> It has a long long way to go to up Rutherglen for long keeping
> Durifs...... and can't see them threatening Coonawarra or Margaret
> River for Cabs...but their Shiraz... now thats a different ball
> game...:>)
>
> hooroo...

You are right.

But I'm a sucker for that big joosy almost over the top style. And I'm
not ashamed damn it! Say it loud and proud.

;-D

Mat.

P.S.: I love Rutherglen too BTW. Yum.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Matt S
Feb 3, 10:32 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
From: Matt S > - Find messages by this
author
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:32:20 +1100

Great to see Adelaide Hills producing excellent SB's, (Shaw & Smith
comes to mind), as the WA's (Margaret River & Great Southern GI's)
have had it their way for too long...:>)

If your looking for great SB's from the hills, Nepenthe 05 was a
standout SB.
Later picked for some more passionfruit characteristics, as opposed to
overly herbaceous.

Swan Valley should be putting out some good wine this coming vintage.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 9 Feb 2006 03:54:02 -0800, "Clare" > wrote:

>Matt S
> Feb 3, 10:32 am show options
>
>Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
>From: Matt S > - Find messages by this
>author
>Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:32:20 +1100
>
>Great to see Adelaide Hills producing excellent SB's, (Shaw & Smith
>comes to mind), as the WA's (Margaret River & Great Southern GI's)
>have had it their way for too long...:>)
>
>If your looking for great SB's from the hills, Nepenthe 05 was a
>standout SB.
>Later picked for some more passionfruit characteristics, as opposed to
>overly herbaceous.
>
>Swan Valley should be putting out some good wine this coming vintage.

Ironically Clare, the Nepenthe range will be tasted same day as the
Chapoutier wines mentioned in another thread, as they share the same
distributor. The rep speaks highly of the SB, and it has picked up a
few awards, so it will be added to the "must taste" list. Mind you,
they also distribute D'Arenberg, so it WILL be a big day !!

Looks like I might have to stay in town that night, as the NZ wine
show comes to town on the following day....:>)

So much wine...so little time...

hooroo...

TN: Many wines last week DaleW Wine 0 04-08-2015 05:13 PM
TN: Whole lot of wines over last week+ DaleW Wine 2 18-02-2013 09:33 PM
"...Many consumers, over the years, have tasted wines with medalsaffixed to them and found them very marginal or out-and-out terrible bottlesof wine." aesthete8 Wine 0 04-10-2009 04:18 AM
Has anyone tasted these Spanish wines? cwdjrxyz Wine 7 12-12-2008 01:34 PM
Tasted these Canadian commercial fruit wines? Ben Rotter Winemaking 8 20-02-2004 04:24 AM