Posted to alt.food.wine

Default How much has corked wine affected your perceptions?

I was just thinking, inspired by a post referencing petite syrah, about my
feeling toward ps. As I remembered the taste, it struck me that what I
tasted when trying Petite Syrah, was hardly good wine at all, but our
friend TCA. My mental image is of a horribly corked bottle. It has been a
good 6-7 years since I had it and the aversion is still strong.

I suppose it is probably time to give PS a try. What would be a good one
and what can I expect of it. I believe it is different than syrah, but how
different?

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

Petite Syrah is a big wine as many California Zins. I think they have
traced the DNA to a grape called Durif, Hungarian in origin if memory
serves - I'm sure to be corrected here if that is not the place. Not as
"gamey" as a Zin can be, and I find generally lower in tannins. My favorite
*used* to be Hop Kiln - could go 10 years plus with positive results (they
pulled their vines to plant Merlot :-/ ). They tend to be vinted as fruity
and short lived and very pleasant. Now, my favorite would be Concannon
(Livermore valley only, not central coast) and other widely available PSs
are Bogle and Clay Station.

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
>I was just thinking, inspired by a post referencing petite syrah, about my
> feeling toward ps. As I remembered the taste, it struck me that what I
> tasted when trying Petite Syrah, was hardly good wine at all, but our
> friend TCA. My mental image is of a horribly corked bottle. It has been a
> good 6-7 years since I had it and the aversion is still strong.
>
> I suppose it is probably time to give PS a try. What would be a good one
> and what can I expect of it. I believe it is different than syrah, but how
> different?
>
> --
> Joseph Coulter
> Cruises and Vacations
> http://www.josephcoulter.com/

Posted to alt.food.wine
PP PP is offline

Bogle is one of my favorites, very fruit forward and a good nose. Very well
priced too.
Paul
"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
>I was just thinking, inspired by a post referencing petite syrah, about my
> feeling toward ps. As I remembered the taste, it struck me that what I
> tasted when trying Petite Syrah, was hardly good wine at all, but our
> friend TCA. My mental image is of a horribly corked bottle. It has been a
> good 6-7 years since I had it and the aversion is still strong.
>
> I suppose it is probably time to give PS a try. What would be a good one
> and what can I expect of it. I believe it is different than syrah, but how
> different?
>
> --
> Joseph Coulter
> Cruises and Vacations
> http://www.josephcoulter.com/

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ronin" > skrev i melding
> Petite Syrah is a big wine as many California Zins. I think they have
> traced the DNA to a grape called Durif, Hungarian in origin if memory
> serves - I'm sure to be corrected here if that is not the place.

Correction!!!!!!!!!
Found the following: The Durif grape was developed by Dr. Durif, a French
nurseryman living in the south of France in the late 1800's. He created this
new variety by crossing the Syrah grape with the Peloursin variety.

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks, I knew someone here would have the straight scoop! :-)

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> "Ronin" > skrev i melding
>> Petite Syrah is a big wine as many California Zins. I think they have
>> traced the DNA to a grape called Durif, Hungarian in origin if memory
>> serves - I'm sure to be corrected here if that is not the place.

> Correction!!!!!!!!!
> Found the following: The Durif grape was developed by Dr. Durif, a French
> nurseryman living in the south of France in the late 1800's. He created
> this new variety by crossing the Syrah grape with the Peloursin variety.
>
> Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders Tørneskog wrote:

>>Petite Syrah is a big wine as many California Zins. I think they have
>>traced the DNA to a grape called Durif, Hungarian in origin if memory
>>serves - I'm sure to be corrected here if that is not the place.

> Correction!!!!!!!!!
> Found the following: The Durif grape was developed by Dr. Durif, a French
> nurseryman living in the south of France in the late 1800's. He created this
> new variety by crossing the Syrah grape with the Peloursin variety.

Correct, Anders. What is planted in CA as Petite Sirah/Syrah has been
found to be variously Durif, Peloursin and occasionally clones of the
true Syrah. Most of the plantings are Durif, but because of the age of
many of these vinyards, often they are found as "field blends," planted
with Zinfandel, Alicante Bouchet, etc.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Here's an interesting article on Petite Sirah along with some tasting
notes courtesy of the San Francisco Chronicle:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl....DTL&type=wine

Wine Apps: Consumer Perceptions Survey [email protected] Wine 0 15-10-2012 06:00 PM
TN: Good showings, except one corked wine DaleW Wine 4 06-06-2011 02:26 PM
Corked NZ wine James Silverton[_4_] Wine 20 25-09-2008 08:56 PM
Corked wine nyc sommelier 54 Wine 2 19-03-2004 02:37 PM
How to confirm the wine is corked? Eric lee Wine 24 29-11-2003 08:07 AM