Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Suggestions for Sonoma wine & lodging for one day & night

We've done the big wineries in Sonoma & Napa a few years ago and are
looking for the smaller, hopefully unique and lovely wineries in
between. Wondering thoughts about dry creek valley, heldsburg, etc.
although not stuck on any particular area. We are only spending one
day & night and would like to find charming yet affordable lodging for
the night ( charning & affordable wine's would be great, too). Just
looking for something special...
All advice is much appreciated,
Ryan

Posted to alt.food.wine

We stayed at the Applewood Inn last year and loved it. Great restaurant
there as well. It is however where the flooding was near Guernville but
I know it is high enough above the Russian River to have not had a
problem.

In article . com>,
wrote:

> We've done the big wineries in Sonoma & Napa a few years ago and are
> looking for the smaller, hopefully unique and lovely wineries in
> between. Wondering thoughts about dry creek valley, heldsburg, etc.
> although not stuck on any particular area. We are only spending one
> day & night and would like to find charming yet affordable lodging for
> the night ( charning & affordable wine's would be great, too). Just
> looking for something special...
> All advice is much appreciated,
> Ryan

Posted to alt.food.wine

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> We've done the big wineries in Sonoma & Napa a few years ago and are
> looking for the smaller, hopefully unique and lovely wineries in
> between. Wondering thoughts about dry creek valley, heldsburg, etc.
> although not stuck on any particular area. We are only spending one
> day & night and would like to find charming yet affordable lodging for
> the night ( charning & affordable wine's would be great, too). Just
> looking for something special...
> All advice is much appreciated,
> Ryan

Well, its really hard to do much in one day and night, but we've enjoyed the
restaurant here -- but have not stayed in the rooms... One of the smaller
wineries in the area that we enjoy is Porter Creek -- don't expect a fancy
tasting room or tour bus parking....

http://www.farmhouseinn.com/areainfo.htm

http://www.portercreekvineyards.com/...home_main.html

Mike P

Posted to alt.food.wine

Near Sonoma (Glen Ellen) try Wellington Vineyards 11600 Dunbar Rd
Nearer Healdsburg, Go to Rochioli next door to Hop Kiln (which used to make
killer petite sirah, but pulled the vines to make way for more "saleable"
types) out the Russian River - just follow the signs at every crossroads
West of Healdsburg.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> We've done the big wineries in Sonoma & Napa a few years ago and are
> looking for the smaller, hopefully unique and lovely wineries in
> between. Wondering thoughts about dry creek valley, heldsburg, etc.
> although not stuck on any particular area. We are only spending one
> day & night and would like to find charming yet affordable lodging for
> the night ( charning & affordable wine's would be great, too). Just
> looking for something special...
> All advice is much appreciated,
> Ryan

Posted to alt.food.wine

What ever you do---avoid Binkies House of Hops on the Sonoma Coast. They
serve frogs & suds and catch of the day which was aardvark the day I was
shlepped there by Hunter Thompson's wine geek cousin, Stalker. One look at
the rattler in the WC and I vamoosed out of there real good and ate at a
Carls.
"Ronin" > wrote in message
> Near Sonoma (Glen Ellen) try Wellington Vineyards 11600 Dunbar Rd
> Nearer Healdsburg, Go to Rochioli next door to Hop Kiln (which used to

make
> killer petite sirah, but pulled the vines to make way for more "saleable"
> types) out the Russian River - just follow the signs at every crossroads
> West of Healdsburg.
>
> <

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg wrote:
> What ever you do---avoid Binkies House of Hops on the Sonoma Coast. They
> serve frogs & suds and catch of the day which was aardvark the day I was
> shlepped there by Hunter Thompson's wine geek cousin, Stalker. One look at
> the rattler in the WC and I vamoosed out of there real good and ate at a
> Carls.

<snip>
Joe, you're nuts, and I mean that as a compliment! :-)

Dick R.